Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

Postby victorb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:14 am

Reading my own posts and realizing a few things on the course - the stalker loves going straight and locking on lines, but I have 4 years of experience with the teebird - no sense in changing to a stalker if the teebird is faster and does everything a stalker does, but better. My 'fill in the gap' disc between comets and teebirds is a z wasp, which sort of makes the stalker obsolete in my bag.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Booter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:18 am

pm me with what stalkers you have....IF you feel the need to desert them :).
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby KJDog19 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:02 am

After reading about 1/2 of this thread, is it safe to say that a Stalker is comparable to a Gazelle? :)

I had a Dx Gazelle not too long ago and was a beautiful flying disc. Very straight with a predictable fade at the very end.
Ions|Tangent|Tensor|Amp|Volts|Shock

Proud thrower of MVP discs.
KJDog19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 am

KJDog19 wrote:After reading about 1/2 of this thread, is it safe to say that a Stalker is comparable to a Gazelle? :)

I had a Dx Gazelle not too long ago and was a beautiful flying disc. Very straight with a predictable fade at the very end.

A domey Stalker is very comparable as it has more fade and keeps its fade even as it loses HSS. A flat Stalker is more comparable to a slightly longer Buzzz.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Postby victorb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:06 am

discspeed wrote:A domey Stalker is very comparable as it has more fade and keeps its fade even as it loses HSS. A flat Stalker is more comparable to a slightly longer Buzzz.

I guess this is what I've based my comparisons off of...both of my stalkers are pretty domey. Haven't (and probably won't) throw a flat one.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby KJDog19 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:07 am

discspeed wrote:
KJDog19 wrote:After reading about 1/2 of this thread, is it safe to say that a Stalker is comparable to a Gazelle? :)

A domey Stalker is very comparable as it has more fade and keeps its fade even as it loses HSS. A flat Stalker is more comparable to a slightly longer Buzzz.

Sounds like I'd love both of them. I'm gonna need to get my hands on some soon. lol
Ions|Tangent|Tensor|Amp|Volts|Shock

Proud thrower of MVP discs.
KJDog19
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:43 pm

I have a flat top 1st run Z Stalker, and I've re-learned how to throw it again today, along with the Buzzz.

I still like this disc!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JHern » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:48 pm

victorb wrote:I would call the gazelle a one trick pony as well, then. I really think the stalker is more like the gazelle than any other driver I have thrown. It's not extremely versatile, but is pretty darn good at locking lines in and going straight - very much like the gazelle in my experiences.

The dx gazelle, out of the box, has more fade than a stalker does, but we all know that dx plastic is made to be more overstable in order to hold it's sweet spot of flight much longer. A beat in gazelle is very similar to a stalker - as much as a dx disc from the last generation of drivers can be compared to a z plastic disc from well over a decade later release date.

discspeed's post nails it. You're throwing domey Stalkers. Go with the flat-top, they are not like a Gazelle, and they simply have a very long straight glidey flight. It's a "threading the needle" disc.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:01 am

I LOVE the stalker. It's absolutely paramount in my bag between rocs and pd's. The combination of the wide diameter and the small rim make it uber comfortable in my hand and help me hit consistent lines. I threw it last night at my weekly on a 378' slightly down hill hole on a mega anhyzer that held for 95% of the flight then stabilized right to the pin.

I used to throw gazelles and I don't remember them being too much like the stalker. Granted I have a flatish stalker and my form is alot cleaner now then when I was gazelling but I can nut all over the stalker and get a predictable flight everytime. With the z plastic I feel like the stalker will remain this way for a long time.

Gazelles were always more of a finesse disc for me (remember I was probably suffering from some OAT) but they were much better at 3+ directional shots than the stalker, for me the stalker is pretty much a 2 directional disc. I guess that means I disagree with the gazelle is a one trick pony comment. The stalker is also wide diameter while the gazelle is small and I really think dg manufactures should be exploring more wide diameter discs.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Ryan C » Sat May 01, 2010 1:02 am

My opinion about Stalkers is that people should be throwing ESP Cyclones instead. I just recently switched back to them after a love affair with the Stalker, and I haven't regretted it. I believe that if you're filling the gap between a roc/buzzz and a PD, the cyclone will still give you that sweet dead straight flight, but with more options overall.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Jerbob » Wed May 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Magic Wizard Roc Gator Eagle Firebird PD Destroyer
Jerbob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby Iman522 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:56 pm

I really really like my stalker and was just kinda curious. When Blake_T describes a big snap being 430 ft. with a teebird, what would the distance be for a big snap with a stalker?
Iman522
Noob

Postby victorb » Fri May 14, 2010 6:23 am

Iman522 wrote:I really really like my stalker and was just kinda curious. When Blake_T describes a big snap being 430 ft. with a teebird, what would the distance be for a big snap with a stalker?

probably 400-410', the stalker isn't significantly shorter than the teebird imo

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bill » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:59 pm

so i finally got one and i have to say i'm really digging it. i got lighter weight, 166, red Z plastic. it's not too domey but it's not flat. it has a fade at the end but i can easily turn it over if i want but thrown flat with some snap it turns but is mainly straight 300 - 325'.

if it's like a longer buzz it's like my seasoned z buzz. this 166 is not nearly as stable as a new buzz.

i took a while to buy one and that's too bad. my p-cd and opto river have gotten quite understable and this stalker is really exactly what i was looking for.

so far.....
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby JHern » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:38 am

There is a stack of nice Crystal Z Stalkers in my pro shop. I noticed they are a bit domey relative to my FR Z Stalker. These must be more stable, no?
Japan bag...
JHern

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment