XL why was i not told before!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby andrew » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:03 am

I was hoping a Z would at least act as a stand-in for a new Elite Pro, but sounds more like a slightly beat Elite Pro? I play wooded courses mostly, and have never had much success getting a Leopard to straighten out, whereas it's easy with an XL... okay, well some days it's easier than others....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby money 21 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:13 pm

you might want to give a z xs a try i find they do straight better then a xl for me. I think a tracker is the closest dc disc to a teebird that is currently run.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:26 am

I can't flip Star Leopards at full power and Champ flips a couple of degrees.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby andrew » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:18 am

My problem isn't so much getting Elite Pros straight but in finding new ones. I have never thrown a Z XS but I am under the impression they have a harder fade like an Eagle especially when powered down which is why I don't like Eagles.

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 pm

i guess i was trying to say that i think a z xs fliies more like an elite pro xl then a z xl.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:52 am

Yes the Z XS does fly kinda like an Eagle when powered down. Have you tried the ESP XL's? the domier ones were straight and glidey. I haven't thrown one in a while but it may be a good replacement for the Elite Pros which are OoP.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby andrew » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:15 pm

I've never tried an ESP XL because a) I get thrown off by the different stability number and b) every ESP disc I have tried has been a bunch of feces. Speaking of which, I've noticed that the go-to comparison with the XL on this thread is the aptly-acronymed Avenger SS, which might be the stupidest disc I've ever thrown.

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 pm

are you sure you haven't been throwing ESP FLX. The A-SS is a good disc if you know what you're doing. And actually I've always admired DC for changing the flight rating for different plastics. Plastic does have a big effect on flight. ESP isn't bad. FLX I don't really like but I guess it's good for guys playing in cold climates.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby andrew » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm

The A-SS I have is FLX. Now I'm thinking the only ESP I've spent time throwing was a Surge. Okay, if I find an ESP XL I'll try it...

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:07 am

The A-SS was my first driver, and had it not got beaten to death, it would still be my longest disc. It is D.

I thought if D was great, then Z must be better. WRONG. The Z A-SS is not as long, and actually has some fade which I do not want in that slot. I have other discs for that.

I guess I need to either keep buying new Ds over and over, or try ESP?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 pm

keltik wrote:are you sure you haven't been throwing ESP FLX. The A-SS is a good disc if you know what you're doing. And actually I've always admired DC for changing the flight rating for different plastics. Plastic does have a big effect on flight. ESP isn't bad. FLX I don't really like but I guess it's good for guys playing in cold climates.

I beg to differ about FLX ASS. That ASS flexes all over being flippy as hell. One of the yuckiest drivers ever if given any power. For a total newbie maybe without other growth potential than as a roller. Which any disc will become eventually if thrown often and long enough. Might be decade for some discs but the FLX ASS is a roller out of the box.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm

FLX discs don't roll well...They tend to flx on impact which messes up their line as well as wasting a lot of your power on the disc. They also slow down faster in the grass than other plastics.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby andrew » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 pm

JR, I don't think you quite understood Keltik's post. He correctly guessed my poor opinion of A-SS was due to me throwing the FLX incarnation. Also, just bought another slightly (I hope) used EP XL on Ebay for $7 shipped. They are terrible and I recommend nobody buy them ever....

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby cubeofsoup » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 am

andrew wrote:They are terrible and I recommend nobody buy them ever....

now now, no hoarding the good discs all for yourself
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Equipment