Innova Mako

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova Mako

Postby smarkquart » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Spinach D wrote:I've encountered some good players that like them. Money in the woods they say. Low lines with no fade or skip fade.

I love it in the woods (woods like BRP or Plymouth Creek). Give it the slighest hyzer, maybe 5 degrees off to the right, and rip it with moderate power and I watch it fly straight for nearly 300 feet with little to no fade at the end.

I have a youtube video of me driving Hole 1 at BRP. There is the slighest bit of right to left wind, but nothing more than a breath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI95skTqE6Q
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby marmoset » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Dave D said they are running Champ Makos next week.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby jubuttib » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:52 am

marmoset wrote:Dave D said they are running Champ Makos next week.

Sounds good, I always loved the old champ Coyote. I need to test these at some point.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Billym » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:23 am

discspeed wrote:Yeah, if you think the Buzzz is at all difficult to range, stay away from the Mako. It seemed very height sensitive with regards to its line and distance. For example, thrown low, fairly flat, and hard (like a Buzzz), it turned over for me. So I thought, "OK, maybe I need to throw it like a Roc/Comet", and I threw it higher with a little less ooomph and it was stable and stalled and faded. Then I threw it at the same higher height, but really hard, and it went like 360' (I was going for 320'). I also threw some shots low and with hyzer that flipped flat and lifted and flew a long ways...but if they didn't quite get flat they didn't get any of that lift. So I too found that the Mako was difficult to throw hard and get predictable results even though I wasn't getting any OAT on my release. It flew best when I put it on Buzzz line and height, but backed off and smoothed it (like a Comet release on a Buzzz line). Thrown like this however it was quite susceptible to the wind. When I threw it hard, low, and with hyzer, the wind didn't mess with it too much. All these characteristics it shares with the Roadrunner imo. Both of those discs are put to best use in the hands of medium power players with clean form as they fly well at those speeds. I don't see more power oriented players getting into the Mako.

I think you are pretty on. I don't use my Mako for anything over 250'. I use it mostly for tight tree tee shots from 250 to 150 and upshots straight at the pin. I try to throw it clean like a Lid. Smooth arm speed and smooth release.
I also use it sometimes as my turnover mid-driver or at least as a back up to my beat Roc for shorter right turning holes.
I could take the Mako out of my bag and not look back but it is fun to throw and I have little attachment to them as opposed to my beat up Rocs. So I carry one.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby jubuttib » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:40 am

Billym wrote:I try to throw it clean like a Lid. Smooth arm speed and smooth release.

This.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Redisculous » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 pm

smarkquart wrote:
Spinach D wrote:I've encountered some good players that like them. Money in the woods they say. Low lines with no fade or skip fade.

I love it in the woods (woods like BRP or Plymouth Creek). Give it the slighest hyzer, maybe 5 degrees off to the right, and rip it with moderate power and I watch it fly straight for nearly 300 feet with little to no fade at the end.

I have a youtube video of me driving Hole 1 at BRP. There is the slighest bit of right to left wind, but nothing more than a breath.

It must be fun to pull out a mid on a hole when everyone else is throwing bosses :wink:
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby smarkquart » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Redisculous wrote:
smarkquart wrote:

It must be fun to pull out a mid on a hole when everyone else is throwing bosses :wink:

Do it all the time in my friend-based amateur league. Most of those I play with top out at 300 feet while I can routinely push anywhere from 370 to 400. I would say at least half of this league are now throwing Katanas, and with their power and technique, I would say that disc is absolutely perfect for them, for now. Most of them have seen an increase in distance. The one person in the video throwing the Boss is throwing a 150ish R-Pro Boss knowing he could not throw any other type of Boss. He does not always get the best distance with it, but he is fairly consistent.

I went back to BRP last week and the wind was a little more aggressive right to left. I broke out the Striker to get the same result.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:57 pm

hahahahaha, so I was at bowling green. The winner of the card Sunday received a first run stamped 'mako'. When I flipped mine over it said "180 CY". I ask the TD at my course if these are makos and he said yes. I just laughed. So funny. At a different course the ink was "180 MK".
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:13 pm

They might easily be confused (especially if they're run for the first time), the only difference is that the Coyote has a Rancho top and the Mako has a San Marino top.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Billym » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:45 pm

The few first Makos were miss marked. Stoners at Innova?

Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Billym wrote:The few first Makos were miss marked. Stoners at Innova?

Par for the course...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby lovetoDG » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:15 pm

It's already past the "next week" but anyone have any idea when it's out? Any release date?
Nuke-PD-Teebird-Roadrunner-Roc-Wizard
lovetoDG
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 11x Teebird

Postby Billym » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Not sure
lovetoDG wrote:

It's already past the "next week" but anyone have any idea when it's out? Any release date?

Not sure if we need champion makos. The stars are perfect I don't want a more stable version. In fact I am not a fan of champion mids in general.

Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Postby smarkquart » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 pm

Billym wrote:Not sure
lovetoDG wrote:

Not sure if we need champion makos. The stars are perfect I don't want a more stable version. In fact I am not a fan of champion mids in general.

Last year I would have said, great more for me, but this year I have been really digging the Star plastic and to a lesser extent the Pro. They seem to glide better and cleaner, as well as giving me more confidence in my snap and grip.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Postby ian » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:36 pm

pro makos would be nice
ian
Noob

Favorite Disc: aviar

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment