how to flatten a DX Roc?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: how to flatten a DX Roc?

Postby rKp » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I first read this title as "How to flatter a DX roc" and was really confused.
"You may be showing signs of aging but to me you're more beautiful than the day I met you."
rKp
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:33 pm

gretagun wrote:would this flattening technique work on something like a domey 12X Firebird?

I've never tried it with anything but base (DX, Pro-D) plastic, so I can't comment on what the results would be with premium (Champ, Z, ESP, Star) plastic. I don't think it will hurt the disc per se, so it's probably worth a shot.

If you try it, be sure to post your results!

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby jsun3thousand » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 pm

I flattened a wraith with this process last night. It looks and feels like the type of wraith I like, flat and flippy, but I won't be able to test it out till later in the week.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:04 pm

jsun3thousand wrote:I flattened a wraith with this process last night. It looks and feels like the type of wraith I like, flat and flippy, but I won't be able to test it out till later in the week.

What plastic?
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby jsun3thousand » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:53 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:
jsun3thousand wrote:I flattened a wraith with this process last night. It looks and feels like the type of wraith I like, flat and flippy, but I won't be able to test it out till later in the week.

What plastic?

Champion. I have a champion boss flattening right now. Hopefully the plastic doesn't have too much memory and dome up again.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Postby ChaseTheAce » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:30 pm

i did this last night.
Be careful with the DX Rocs. If you get a suction with the cookie sheet you disc can dimple down in the flight plate.
I had the most success with flattening an 11x KC Pro
ChaseTheAce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby DiscDemon25 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 pm

tumpsi wrote:why flatten a dx roc?

The process works really good, but the reason I wanted mine flat is to cut it through the wind more. I have 4 rocs in my bag now, I only flattened one of them for that reason alone. The other 3 are just different beat-ins.
If the pen is mightier than the sword, why do actions speak louder than words?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DiscDemon25
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:45 pm

If you want a roc to cut through the wind more you should throw a buzz. I would think the bead slows a roc down more than dome.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby pg043 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Just thought i would post that I tried this tonight on some Supersoft Wizards that were uncharacteristically domey and got good results. They flattened out perfectly, even going slightly concave like a seasoned wizard does. Thanks for the post!
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby scottp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:27 am

pg043 wrote:Just thought i would post that I tried this tonight on some Supersoft Wizards that were uncharacteristically domey and got good results. They flattened out perfectly, even going slightly concave like a seasoned wizard does. Thanks for the post!

I did the same last night with a SS wizard that had a warped flight plate - came out flat, looking just like a wizard should!
Michael Scott wrote:I'm an early bird and I'm a night owl, so I'm wise and have worms.
scottp
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby RS39 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:27 am

tumpsi wrote:why flatten a dx roc?

While I throw Wasps, I find the flatter tops to fly more neutral like a Buzz but retain the beady goodness of more wind stability and predictable approach distance. I am very happy the TeamHolland guy parted with his :)
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby Lithicon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:37 pm

I am probably gonna get lots of boo's, but I switched from FLX Buzzz's to Spiders and never looked back. And, to all the Roc lovers, sorry I can't stand them. BUT, on topic.
I have two champ spiders that are my go to midrange for almost anything. I noticed my heavier one had a little more dome and wouldn't quite flatten out like my other one.

I just done the sleepy de-doming process and it worked like a charm. Like someone said earlier I just hope the champ plastic doesn't have a really good memory and dome back up, I even stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes after I let it cool completly with the heavy object still sitting on top of it. It looks identical to my other spider now, and I can't wait to try it and see if it flies just as good as my yummy spider.

I think a side note from this is that my older was a little gummier feeling, cause it's kind of light(165). I noticed this heavier Spider (168)was stiffer, after the process has a little gummier feel to it now. It's much more flexible and gummier like the 165, which I love in my spider.

Thanks Sleepy!
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby jsun3thousand » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 pm

Lithicon wrote:I just done the sleepy de-doming process and it worked like a charm. Like someone said earlier I just hope the champ plastic doesn't have a really good memory and dome back up, I even stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes after I let it cool completly with the heavy object still sitting on top of it.

I haven't had any of the discs I flatted return to their previous domey state, yet. This is a great way to take domey stable wraiths and make them flat and flippy. Sleepy has saved me both time and money with this process. What will he think of next? Rating scale for discs- done, flattening discs- done.
jsun3thousand

Postby Lithicon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:05 am

Haha, he does seem to be a crafty fellow! There are quite a few people that have made some nice contributions! I like to lurk this forum and learn their little tricks!
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby maks » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:26 am

jsun3thousand wrote:
Lithicon wrote:I just done the sleepy de-doming process and it worked like a charm. Like someone said earlier I just hope the champ plastic doesn't have a really good memory and dome back up, I even stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes after I let it cool completly with the heavy object still sitting on top of it.

I haven't had any of the discs I flatted return to their previous domey state, yet. This is a great way to take domey stable wraiths and make them flat and flippy. Sleepy has saved me both time and money with this process. What will he think of next? Rating scale for discs- done, flattening discs- done.

maybe he'll find a way to rate flatness of a disc with a number scale. :lol:
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment