Pro Boss

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Pro Boss

Postby Cali » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:30 am

My yellow 167 is fantastic!

Jesse B 707 wrote:ive got a 167 light orange that is great, i also have a 175 red which is actually a good deal flippier than my light one :?

So weird. My buddy has 2 Star Bosses in his bag, a yellow 173 which he can flip over all day and a blue 167 that won't flip over for anything. Darndest thing. They both are freakishly flat.
Cali
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Timko » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:37 am

Light Star Boss != Light Pro Boss
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:38 am

The pro boss is the only boss that has ever been usable for me. I bomb my 170 red one 20 feet by a pro destroyer. For some reason it seems a little smaller than the star and champ ones (diameter and rim size), or maybee it's just the better grip and glide that I like from the pro plastic, I have small hands so the wide rim discs are tough for me. I haven't thrown too many rounds with it, my home course in the winter has 0 places that require a disc that fast. So far it's only been used in the field, but it will be in the bag for upcoming team challenges.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby rodman20 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Furthur wrote:Light Star Boss != Light Pro Boss

I have tossed several 165-168g star bosses and found them to be pretty beefy while my 170g pro boss will turn some for me and give me a much better flight.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird/Roc

Postby Timko » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 pm

That's because the light Star Bosses cooled differently, and changed the wing shape and parting line angle, making a more overstable disc.
Timko

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:43 pm

Furthur wrote:That's because the light Star Bosses cooled differently, and changed the wing shape and parting line angle, making a more overstable disc.

so what you were saying is a light pro flies like what a light star should?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Timko » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:45 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Furthur wrote:That's because the light Star Bosses cooled differently, and changed the wing shape and parting line angle, making a more overstable disc.

so what you were saying is a light pro flies like what a light star should?

Pretty much.
Timko

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:49 pm

speaking light star bosses, do they get really squirrelly when the beat in or do they stay fairly predictable? I've never gotten one beat in before I lose it.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:speaking light star bosses, do they get really squirrelly when the beat in or do they stay fairly predictable? I've never gotten one beat in before I lose it.

i have one that is WHOOPED and its still way beefy
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby rodman20 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Oops I didnt see your ! by the = to mean not equal to.

Hopefully the champ katana will be like a pro boss.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:54 pm

rodman20 wrote:Oops I didnt see your ! by the = to mean not equal to.

This is actually the correct not equal to sign:

I gave you the C one ;).
Timko

Postby discspeed » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:52 pm

rodman20 wrote:

They are a little different. The Pro Boss is faster, so it seems to flip too fast sometimes if I get over on it, and it has a higher cruising speed at the same time. I'm not going to call it squirrely, but for me I get a higher percentage throw with the Katana. The Pro Boss gets more D. Pretty much I would choose the Katana over the Pro Boss because of durability and controllability, but I'm throwing both. The Boss and Katana are the 2 of the most similar discs Innova has ever released (maybe the Coyote/Mako). The only difference is stability imo. The Katana slows down more before its fade, so it goes straight longer and doesn't really skip crazy like a Boss. I like the Katana also because it seems to be a straighter disc. When you get a Boss beat enough to compare to a Katana stability-wise it is less HSS and more LSS.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby rodman20 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:57 pm

discspeed wrote:
rodman20 wrote:

They are a little different. The Pro Boss is faster, so it seems to flip too fast sometimes if I get over on it, and it has a higher cruising speed at the same time. I'm not going to call it squirrely, but for me I get a higher percentage throw with the Katana. The Pro Boss gets more D. Pretty much I would choose the Katana over the Pro Boss because of durability and controllability, but I'm throwing both. The Boss and Katana are the 2 of the most similar discs Innova has ever released (maybe the Coyote/Mako). The only difference is stability imo. The Katana slows down more before its fade, so it goes straight longer and doesn't really skip crazy like a Boss. I like the Katana also because it seems to be a straighter disc. When you get a Boss beat enough to compare to a Katana stability-wise it is less HSS and more LSS.

Kinda what i was looking for. I toss the pro boss 400 when needed on a straight line and more if theres room to work. You know as well as i do though that kinda distance is rarely needed in florida it seems. I was just looking for the extra durability with the champ witout beating a boss in. Obviously higher precentage discs are always better IMHO.
rodman20
Tree Magnet

Postby Lithicon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok, I've been looking for something that I can throw farther than a 175 Pro Wraith. After these get beat in they get pretty flippy, but I didn't really want to try another Boss. I had a Champ and it was like throwing a brick for me. I can throw the Wraith's 400' consistently, so a (168ish) Pro boss or a heavier (170-172) R-pro Boss would accomplish this task I've been searching for an answer to? Or would I just be better off sticking with the Wraith's? Btw, this is more for open holes just to have that option. And, just to break my 400' plateau.

I just have a feeling the Pro is going to be really overstable from the start and take some real beating to get to the point it will flip for me, and by the time it gets to that nice spot. Then it will get all Flip city like a beat Wraith does to me.
Usually hyzer flips flat and would just go straight and end slightly back left. Then seemed like just a few weeks later. I watched the same disc go from pretty extreme hyzer, flip up flat and finish way right. And, done this several throws after this. I stopped throwing it as much, and now it's winter and I rarely throw this disc at all cause I've been lacking in power recently due to the cold. But, still getting pretty good distance after discing down. I'm not expecting to break distance records in the winter anyway.

I'm just worried it will only be in that sweet spot like the wraith did for a short time it seemed. Also, since It will pretty much only be used on pretty open stuff, it would take a good long while to break it in to that point, making that sweet spot harder to obtain, and when I do then it'll just be a fleeting moment and be a lot of work for nothing. Kind of making me Lean more toward a heavier R-pro since it's only gonna be used on open stuff. But, everyone says they are insane flip machines.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby marmoset » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:00 am

I think they only make R-Pro bosses up to 164ish grams. Then regular Pro starts at 166ish and goes up to max weight.

You might have some luck with one of the more overstable Champ or Star Orcs at 168 grams. The stability should be about right for what you want, the weight should help you get further out there and the plastic should be much more durable.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment