Pro Boss

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Pro Boss

Postby scottp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:33 am

scottp wrote:how does the dome on the pro bosses relate to stability? Do they follow the typical domey=less stable, flat=overstable?

anyone have any clues on what to look for for a less stable boss? weights, plastic, (I assume a lower parting line), dome, etc?
Michael Scott wrote:I'm an early bird and I'm a night owl, so I'm wise and have worms.
scottp
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Timko » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Pretty much all of the Pro Bosses I've seen are similar in shape (flatish wing, domey). Next to R-Pro, they're the least stable, especially in the HS portion of the flight.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Furthur wrote:Pretty much all of the Pro Bosses I've seen are similar in shape (flatish wing, domey). Next to R-Pro, they're the least stable, especially in the HS portion of the flight.

I'd agree with that. One of the reasons I like mine so far is that I can get a little bit of a turn out of it if I want to.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Lithicon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:41 am

Ok, I'm going to take this chance once more before I write the Boss off completely.
I'm just trying to figure out which I should throw money at.

167-169
170-172
Pro Boss

Or
160-164
R-pro

This will only be used on open holes. I'm just wondering what I should put money towards?
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby discspeed » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:00 am

Lithicon wrote:Ok, I'm going to take this chance once more before I write the Boss off completely.
I'm just trying to figure out which I should throw money at.

167-169
170-172
Pro Boss

Or
160-164
R-pro

This will only be used on open holes. I'm just wondering what I should put money towards?

For me this is a no brainer. The Pro Boss is a better, more consistent disc, especially when durability is considered. Perhaps the R-pro would had a tad more distance in no-wind/tailwind situations, but do you really want a disc that you must only use in a couple wind situations? Also, the Pro may start off a little more stable than you want, but you can have one for wind and one that breaks in.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 pm

dear god these are long. I was putting a 170 pro boss right up with the katana on a low line drive golf line where as the katana was taking a high max D line. Great disc...we will see about durability.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby JR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:04 am

Aaron_D wrote:dear god these are long. I was putting a 170 pro boss right up with the katana on a low line drive golf line where as the katana was taking a high max D line. Great disc...we will see about durability.

I got the longest winter toss of mine ever with a large jump to the previous record with a 170. But I also had a grip and form improvement.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Parks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:35 am

JR wrote:
Aaron_D wrote:dear god these are long. I was putting a 170 pro boss right up with the katana on a low line drive golf line where as the katana was taking a high max D line. Great disc...we will see about durability.

I got the longest winter toss of mine ever with a large jump to the previous record with a 170. But I also had a grip and form improvement.

It must be a long disc and a form improvement because I saw the pictures of you throwing over Norway the other day.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:01 am

Parks wrote:
JR wrote:

It must be a long disc and a form improvement because I saw the pictures of you throwing over Norway the other day.

It ain't the Devilhawk.

I suspect you mean our Russian member Hwicha and the stray Russian missile over Norway.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:46 am

Hows the skip with the pro bosses? I'd imagine smaller than the champ/star bosses? Reason I'm asking is the orc has been a money distance driver for me for quite some time now but I'd like to have something for super low lines drives/big distance on hyzer the whole way and big skips. I should probably look into a champ boss for this purpose correct? Assuming that the pro boss may fade/skip hard early but will quickly break into something like a faster orc.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:54 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Hows the skip with the pro bosses? I'd imagine smaller than the champ/star bosses? Reason I'm asking is the orc has been a money distance driver for me for quite some time now but I'd like to have something for super low lines drives/big distance on hyzer the whole way and big skips. I should probably look into a champ boss for this purpose correct? Assuming that the pro boss may fade/skip hard early but will quickly break into something like a faster orc.

My Pro Boss still has a big skip and it is a little broken in. It is the fastest Boss, so that influences the skip. I even had one hit an incline on a hyzer that stops just about any disc in its tracks...The Pro Boss skipped so hard in climbed up the hill and landed at least 60' from where it hit.
discspeed

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:32 am

discspeed wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:Hows the skip with the pro bosses? I'd imagine smaller than the champ/star bosses? Reason I'm asking is the orc has been a money distance driver for me for quite some time now but I'd like to have something for super low lines drives/big distance on hyzer the whole way and big skips. I should probably look into a champ boss for this purpose correct? Assuming that the pro boss may fade/skip hard early but will quickly break into something like a faster orc.

My Pro Boss still has a big skip and it is a little broken in. It is the fastest Boss, so that influences the skip. I even had one hit an incline on a hyzer that stops just about any disc in its tracks...The Pro Boss skipped so hard in climbed up the hill and landed at least 60' from where it hit.

Word. Is it overkill to carry both the boss and the orc?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:36 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:
discspeed wrote:

Not too much since they really are 4 speed steps apart. I carried them both for a while...The Boss is better out in the open, but when things are a little tighter and you still need good D the Orc shines.
discspeed

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 am

discspeed wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:
discspeed wrote:

Not too much since they really are 4 speed steps apart. I carried them both for a while...The Boss is better out in the open, but when things are a little tighter and you still need good D the Orc shines.

I might have to check out 2 pro bosses and a champ then. Maybe I'll wait till summer though. A nicely seasoned pro boss has to be long as anything else out there, pro wraiths have always been my longest flyers when seasoned and thrown just right.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Parks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:09 pm

JR wrote:
Parks wrote:
JR wrote:

It ain't the Devilhawk.

I suspect you mean our Russian member Hwicha and the stray Russian missile over Norway.

Nope, it was you. The Russians didn't know what was going on at first and denied it was them, but then decided to claim such an awesome display of power.

It only looked like it came from Russia because it was fading at the time.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment