XXX

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: XXX

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:58 pm

The only reason I'm still using the 11x fb is because I can throw it farther overhand. Backhand I like the XXX better.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
discspeed wrote:Jesse-Have you gotten one broken in any yet?

i have gotten a few pretty broken in (looking) but the flight has not really changed on any of mine yet, granted my last 2 were aced with and put on the wall just as they were getting really seasoned so its hard to say, id REALLY like to try one in gold line though for a (possibly) less stable/longer option in the bag to compliment my Optos

It would be great to have a longer/less stable XXX...it would have a chance at knocking my champ EX out of the bag because I basically only use it for hyzers as I use the Stalker for everything else.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:53 am

discspeed wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:

i have gotten a few pretty broken in (looking) but the flight has not really changed on any of mine yet, granted my last 2 were aced with and put on the wall just as they were getting really seasoned so its hard to say, id REALLY like to try one in gold line though for a (possibly) less stable/longer option in the bag to compliment my Optos

It would be great to have a longer/less stable XXX.

Like an Orion LF in Opto......yummmmm!
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:41 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:
discspeed wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:

There's like 12 steps of stability between an OLF and an XXX...maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but the OLF is nowhere close to a zero in HSS. I would like something fast that is not going to turn over unless thrown flat into a 20mph headwind, yet has a straight portion to its flight path without being thrown turned over.

BTW, I know I'm late to the party, but OPTO plastic is effing sweet! I tried to file the little bit of flashing off my XXX like I do with all my other discs and after about 10 minutes I just said F-it and gave up. That's some tough plastic!
discspeed

Postby JimW » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:02 pm

I did consider a XXX tonight at the store but gave up the thought after the only one marked 171 was actually 174. I didn't bother weighing the others marked higher since in my experience L64 tends to usually be over the listed weight, not under. Did pick up a Trident for the hell of it though.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:05 pm

JimW wrote:Did pick up a Trident for the hell of it though.

Why?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:07 pm

discspeed wrote:
RoomTenONine wrote:
discspeed wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:

There's like 12 steps of stability between an OLF and an XXX...maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but the OLF is nowhere close to a zero in HSS. I would like something fast that is not going to turn over unless thrown flat into a 20mph headwind, yet has a straight portion to its flight path without being thrown turned over.

BTW, I know I'm late to the party, but OPTO plastic is effing sweet! I tried to file the little bit of flashing off my XXX like I do with all my other discs and after about 10 minutes I just said F-it and gave up. That's some tough plastic!

As tough as it is, still try not to hit rocks with it. I permascarred one of my strikers on a giant boulder 300' out in the center of a fairway. Why there is a giant rock in the middle of a large open grassy fairway... or how I manged to nail it front and center... I will never know...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JimW » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Because I'm curious, damnit! :P

Plus the utility of a disc for someone throwing 370-400 can be totally different than that of someone at 270-300 so despite you and Jesse not liking it much that doesn't mean it won't potentially work well for me.

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:23 pm

JimW wrote:I did consider a XXX tonight at the store but gave up the thought after the only one marked 171 was actually 174. I didn't bother weighing the others marked higher since in my experience L64 tends to usually be over the listed weight, not under. Did pick up a Trident for the hell of it though.

You trusted that old scale!!??? I have a scientific scale at home that goes to a 10th of a gram. I know what my discs weigh so I bring my bag into the store. When I bought my XXX the scale was weighing 2+ grams heavy, so that XXX probably was 171-172. That Trident just doesn't have a look of aerodynamic performance...It does look like it could roll well though. Its going to be sloversable like a mofo...
discspeed

Postby JimW » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Stuff I've weighed there and then at home has generally been about right in my experience, I wasn't aware there was a potential issue. Either way I don't think the XXX is at all a viable option for me unless I replaced that CP Firebird with it, just going to be too overstable. I actually grabbed a 169g Star Eagle tonight to fill the spot I've been using seasoned DX Firebirds for.

I'll be testing out the Trident as a roller too of course, as well as on short thumbers. It's something new and a little unusual to play with and thats all that matters anyway :lol:

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:43 pm

JimW wrote:Because I'm curious, damnit! :P

Plus the utility of a disc for someone throwing 370-400 can be totally different than that of someone at 270-300 so despite you and Jesse not liking it much that doesn't mean it won't potentially work well for me.

it will most likely be shorter than you putters at that d
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby tigel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
JimW wrote:Did pick up a Trident for the hell of it though.

Why?

Thats what I said too haha
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RoomTenONine » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:19 am

discspeed wrote:
RoomTenONine wrote:
discspeed wrote:

I never said there were or were not "like 12 steps of stability" between the two. All you said was a longer less stable XXX. All my OLFs are longer and less stable than my XXXs. That may not be what YOU were getting at in your initial vague statement (which is totally fine), but I'd still like a OLF-type disc in opto. :)
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RoomTenONine » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:23 am

JimW wrote:Because I'm curious, damnit! :P

Nothing wrong with trying out some discs. The folks dissing the Trident also tried them out at one point. You have every right to the same opportunity.

Although I didn't love my Trident as much as other discs, it is still very interesting and I actually use mine when i need a short piggish mid disc.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mason65 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:53 am

If I didn't try to keep my number of molds down I would have a Trident in the bag.
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment