MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Official ION Discussion Page

Postby silvachains » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:15 am

I have 2 of the first runs,and i am very pleased with the product! I am a member of MHDGC in Denver Co. , home course is Johnny Roberts Memorial. We play in all weather and the Ion is really holding up well. Some of my fellow club members thought the overmold might be easily damaged hitting the frozen chains and metal .Not the case. The disc stays grippy and flexible even at 17*. When i pick it up out of the snow ,a quick wipe and its " ION " the target.I Like the new color combos and will order some more. After experimenting with many putters,plastic and firmness variations, i have found one that I have lots of confidence in throwing. Looking forward to the upcoming tourneys in Spring and summer. One of my putting styles is the bi-moto (youtube) and the outer ring provides ample grip for max spin and follow through. Maple Valley needs to get the disc out here on the courses so people can view and throw them. I am doing my part by letting golfers try it out when the ask what i am throwing. Most of them hold it ,look at it, hand it back and say "weird" or "different". It is different , but thats why I like it! Let me know if I can do more to get your great products on our courses.
silvachains
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cryztal buzz

Postby tigel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:56 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I'm loving my heavier orange and black Ion. It is less touchy than my 166 1st runs which I still use and holds pretty much any line to the ground.

I was just about to reply with this same message.

My orange/black ion 173 GGGT stamp throws like a champ. My 166 first run's were super touchy and I was never willing to gamble with it off the tee. Now I'm throwing my 173's off the tee for my < 250 holes/upshots. The plastic is so-so in cold weather. It doesn't seem to stiff up which is good, but the grip is nearly non existent when snow is covered on it and wiped down. I can't really dawg on the ion because of this though. Any disc is going to be slippery in 2 feet of snow with wet towels.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 am

CDGS is getting the new, heavier Ions in soon, at which point I will be testing them. They are certainly the kind of shape I like, so I'm looking forward to it.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:02 pm

So I played around with one of these today playing pass with a guy on a local course. Wow, straight as an arrow and lofty. I'll be buying a few asap.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby silvachains » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:32 pm

I just received 3 more ions today in the heavier weights.Red, yellow and green. I laid them in a column on the table to admire them, my wife walked by and asked if i had purposely ordered a traffic light? Bummer is, I had to work all day and did not get to throw them. Sundays is doubles I will be out testing them in the forecasted snow flurries. Thanks to Jason @ Marshall street for his great customer service and getting my order to Colorado in 2 days!
silvachains
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cryztal buzz

Postby Trey133 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:18 am

Got to see this thing in action this weekend, really cool feeling/looking/flying putter!

My assessment right off the bat was looks like a warlock, but flies like a magic! Great disc!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby steven » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 am

does it have any sort of bead?
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:31 am

steven wrote:does it have any sort of bead?

It has some flashing that acts like a bead.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby awspence » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:16 am

Even after trimming the flashing, my blue first run still has a bead on the blue part. I think you can see it in that section cut they posted.
awspence
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Teebird

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:22 am

Hey so is there any way I can get one of those old clear ones?
Frank Delicious

Postby Trey133 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 am

I would like to get my hands on one, anyone selling/trading?

TIA.
Trey133

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:41 am

Trey133 wrote:I would like to get my hands on one, anyone selling/trading?

TIA.

I've got a 166 first run I'd let go of, I'll bring it Sat.
Frank Delicious

Postby Trey133 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Cool sounds good!
Trey133

Postby discspeed » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:01 pm

discspeed wrote:CDGS is getting the new, heavier Ions in soon, at which point I will be testing them. They are certainly the kind of shape I like, so I'm looking forward to it.

I thoroughly tested a green 174g Ion today. It looks awesome and feels great in the hand. I only expected to get some practice putts in with it today, but I ended up driving a lot with it. The disc is seriously impressive. I love how it feels and flies. It is very similar to a Voodoo in feel and flight, but I think it is a touch more stable, a bit faster, and it definitely glides more. I almost aced with it today on a turnover drive. It holds any line you give it really well and goes farther than my Voodoos by 10-20'. It also holds a slight hyzer release, pushing forward, but fading at the end. On a flat/slightly turned shot there is no fade. As I said, I found this single disc very versatile and workable. I could see this going in my bag as my putter driver I liked it so much. I decided that I'm going to give it some serious reps for the next couple weeks to get a better feel of its strengths/weaknesses and similarities/differences to my Voodoo and do a very comprehensive review.

I only drove with it my first round today, but I putted with it the second round. It putts just like my Voodoos with better carry/glide and a slower drop rate. It excelled at hyzer putts that glided pretty straight. I also made some 50' jump putts with it. One of the most remarkable things my friends and I noticed today were just how well the disc caught the chains. The rubber bumper on the outside grabs unbelievably. I had a couple of putts that came in flat and just stuck horizontally in the chains. My friends and I were throwing putts different ways to try and chain out on purpose and it caught almost every time, especially on high and outside shots. As soon as it hits the chains it stops spinning.

This disc has excited me much more than I expected. Good job guys!
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:17 am

I threw the Ion a bunch more yesterday. I love it for driving and upshots. It really holds whatever line you give it and it has some decent LSS at the very end of the flight. This is nice compared to my Voodoos that do not have a consistent LSS when I drive them. It also does not flip out of a hyzer like my Voodoos can. It still gets a lot of forward glide no matter what angle its flying at. I was running the basket several different ways from 100-150' with it. I didn't make any, but the results looked good. It did excellent on a slight hyzer run, flattening a bit before fading at the basket. My favorite was throwing it a little turned over...this resulted in pretty much a straight shot as the disc fought back from anny, but not enough to fade left and just dropped straight.

For putting, I'm not sold. I've never been a fan of putting with premium plastic. The Ion is the best premium plastic putter I've used, but it is still premium plastic. With that, it felt a little squirrely at times, wanting to hold a turn or fade out. It also got some crazy bounces of the cage and the top of the basket. BOING! I did like it for a couple of specialty type putts. I made a 30ish foot putt forehand around a bunch of stuff, and I also liked it for hyzer putts because of the fade.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment