MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Wyno wrote:
jubuttib wrote:The cores are intended to weigh the same, the weight of the resulting disc is tweaked by adjusting the weight of the overmold. The different colors flew differently because they molded up differently (mostly fixed in later runs when they got more used to the process for each disc), with clear PLH variations.

I think that's a bit outdated, IIRC they ended up having to make the cores in different weights as well.

Why is that?
Steve
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: 515
Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Steve wrote:
Wyno wrote:
jubuttib wrote:The cores are intended to weigh the same, the weight of the resulting disc is tweaked by adjusting the weight of the overmold. The different colors flew differently because they molded up differently (mostly fixed in later runs when they got more used to the process for each disc), with clear PLH variations.

I think that's a bit outdated, IIRC they ended up having to make the cores in different weights as well.

Why is that?


They would want different weight cores so that the lighter discs could be as gyro as the heavy discs I would think. My newer N mids seen a bit more flexy in the flightplate than their heavier counterparts, so this is what leads me to believe they are varying the weights of more than the overmold these days. My lighter N discs aren't more overstable than my heavier ones either, and this has been the trend in the past (Proton/Psoft Ions/Anodes, P Vectors, P Axis).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 pm

discspeed wrote:
Steve wrote:
Wyno wrote:
jubuttib wrote:The cores are intended to weigh the same, the weight of the resulting disc is tweaked by adjusting the weight of the overmold. The different colors flew differently because they molded up differently (mostly fixed in later runs when they got more used to the process for each disc), with clear PLH variations.

I think that's a bit outdated, IIRC they ended up having to make the cores in different weights as well.

Why is that?


They would want different weight cores so that the lighter discs could be as gyro as the heavy discs I would think. My newer N mids seen a bit more flexy in the flightplate than their heavier counterparts, so this is what leads me to believe they are varying the weights of more than the overmold these days. My lighter N discs aren't more overstable than my heavier ones either, and this has been the trend in the past (Proton/Psoft Ions/Anodes, P Vectors, P Axis).


Which would only make sense. So why not produce 2 or 3 different variances in core/overmold weight ratios and give them an arbitrary rating system that corresponds to the level of gyro?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby jubuttib » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:17 am

I dunno, introducing that sort of variation doesn't sound like what MVP would do, if only for consistency reason, it sounds more like something Gateway would do. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:55 pm

I think the variation is already there. Have they ever came out and said that all the cores weigh the same?
Steve
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: 515
Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby jubuttib » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Steve wrote:I think the variation is already there. Have they ever came out and said that all the cores weigh the same?
They have, though if what discspeed is saying is true then they might have backtracked a bit.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby keltik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:47 am

Well I got a Neutron Anode in trade last week and I just had a chance to throw it today. I wasn't impressed. It didn't shape lines like everyone says. and it only putted well on lob putts. I fell in love with the ION the first time I threw it and wanted to put a ring on it the first time I putted with it. this one was just eh. I don't think it will take the place of my Pures for driving and approaching and I know it won't take the place of the Ion for putting. I guess I either need to put more time in with it or trade it. You may see a storm trooper for trade here in a couple of weeks.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby JR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:35 pm

keltik wrote:Well I got a Neutron Anode in trade last week and I just had a chance to throw it today. I wasn't impressed. It didn't shape lines like everyone says. and it only putted well on lob putts. I fell in love with the ION the first time I threw it and wanted to put a ring on it the first time I putted with it. this one was just eh. I don't think it will take the place of my Pures for driving and approaching and I know it won't take the place of the Ion for putting. I guess I either need to put more time in with it or trade it. You may see a storm trooper for trade here in a couple of weeks.


For me the forté of the Proton Anode was always straight line drives and laser putts. P Anode tends to push through hyzer and anny so that is problematic for line shaping and that is why i used different putters when i was using the Anode as the main putter. I haven't thrown Neutrons yet. How do they differ for you?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby keltik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:27 pm

I had only thrown proton ions and textured ions before. This was my first anode but it behaved exactly as you described JR.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby BrotherDave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 pm

My proton Anodes don't act all that different than my Proton Ions. Maybe they just haven't been worked in yet but I'm leaning towards preferring the Ions. I was really hoping the Anode would fly as stable neutral as those mismolded 2nd run textured Ions with the small beads but they're not even close. *shrug*
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Surrounded by Boobies.
Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:26 am

Huh, for me the Anode is harder to turn (with OAT) than the ION and finishes straighter, they're essentially easier to throw and available in stores textured bottom IONs to me.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby discspeed » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:53 am

The Anode can fly quite a bit differently in the different plastics and based on the dome. I have a bunch as they are my putter and here's what I have found...Flat Anodes of all plastics are less stable and fly straight/hold any angles with little resistance. They are faster, fade less, and drop a little less during the first 2/3 of the flight and more during the last 1/3. Domey Anodes behave more like Ions, show a resistance to turning when thrown with slight angles and fading more. These differences translate roughly the same across plastics. Now here's what I've seen as far as differences between the plastics:

Regular proton/eclipse (these should fly mostly the same-differences are based on the dome)--These are the straightest Anodes as they seem to hold any line and the fade is almost non-existent. For me these tended to push through hyzer on drives. They also have the fastest drop rate and glide the least imo. Flat versions of these are the least stable Anodes...I've thrown light flat eclipse protons that even have a touch of high speed turn out of the box under 300'. Putting-wise these are pitch/lob style putters as they seem to resist spin compared with the Neutrons and especially the softs (this could have a little to do with grip). These are the slickest of the Anodes as well (though for a reason I can't even come close to figuring out my Eclipse seem a touch tackier).

Soft proton/eclipse--These are my main putters/drivers (though the N Anodes are working their way into some driving duty). They have a bit more action in their flight--flats turn and fade a bit and the domeys fade more than any other Anodes. These are what I work lines with inside 200' because the LSS allows them to fly on jointed shots or to slowly pull out of a considerable amount of anny. My favorite thing about the softs is that they glide/float way more than the other plastics, especially at lower speeds. I think this is because they take spin better, so they are actually flying at lower speeds where the other plastics lose their spin and drop. They push through hyzers less and the LSS reigns them in more at the end of the flight. The glide does become a liability at some point as the wind picks up, especially on drives...It's not their stability that gets tested, rather they simply get pushed around/picked up/dropped by the wind because of their glide. For putting I couldn't imagine using any other Anode. I get better grip and more spin, which translates to more range and less effort. I also like their LSS because I can put with anny and they will fight out straight or they will start dropping/fading at the very end of a flat putt (nestles in the basket).

Neutron Anode--I'm still learning these, but I've got a few of different weight/dome to compare. In many ways the N are a bit of a hybrid between the other two as their rigidity is between soft and reg proton. They are the fastest Anodes and they take power and handle wind the best of the Anodes. They also seem to be the most HSS. I really like driving these because they seem to be begging to be thrown hard. The weakness of the Neutrons, which is what would keep me from putting with them, is that they really drop at low speeds. The amount of dome really makes a difference in the glide of the Ns...I have a flat 175 that has no glide unless launched (but it's awesome in the wind), and then I have some that are a little lighter with higher domes that glide well on normal putter drives and long approaches.

Right now I'm bagging the softs for most duties and the Neutrons for wind or longer line drive drives/approaches.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:59 am

jubuttib wrote:Huh, for me the Anode is harder to turn (with OAT) than the ION and finishes straighter, they're essentially easier to throw and available in stores textured bottom IONs to me.


Second.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 am

Discspeed all the Anodes that i've seen here in Proton have concave tops and they don't glide that well but are still almost as straight in the end of a putt than Ions in medium plastic. Soft Proton Anodes fade more than mediums.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby pask2155 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 pm

So what you all are saying is that abodes turn less then ions? And fade less?
pask2155
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 pm
Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests