MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby Mike C » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am

sunspot wrote:Here's my reasoning why I think the Volt is overrated:

1. It is hard to range. Too much power, it turns and burns; not enough power, it fades out (even with more stable Volts it does this). I'm not saying it is the worst at ranging distances, but it is not that good at it. It is less like a slightly beat Eagle and more like a slightly beat Valkyrie with less distance potential.

2. The rim width (2.0) should create the potential to go further, but I find it flying like a speed 7/8. I can throw smaller rim discs as far or further than the Volt. I don't think I can ever break 400 ft with a Volt, but I can get the PD to 400ft on a good rip.

3. The shallowness of the rim doesn't bother me as much as the combination of the shallowness and the slanted rim. It doesn't feel as comfortable to grip.

I wanted to like the Volt but couldn't find myself to be satisfied with it.

In my humble opinion, they need to make a less slanted, normal feeling disc that can pushed out further without being too squirrelly. That's why I like slightly beaten EXs and SPDs so much. You can realize it on a hyzer and let it flip up and turn and come back reliably. The EXs can be pushed out further without being too squirrelly. Whether this requires them to make a disc with a smaller rim, I don't know, but I do know that I don't like the Volt.

I've had a different experience with them.

1. I took to them quick because they fly fairly close to my previous favorite driver, a 2.5 year old 1.1 QOLF. Throwing with different power levels and release angles I am essentially able to cover anything between my midrange and max D shots with Volts in mild conditions. I throw it FH & BH with equal success. I think the stability is ideal for a workhorse driver.

2. Mine are going about 450' BH 400' FH. I don't throw any speed 8's or 7's so I can't compare distances there.

3. Grip is always a personal thing. I haven't had issues here, even though when I first handled it I thought the shallowness might be noticeable while throwing backhand. Mine don't have slanted rims as far as I can tell, just double checked too. Not sure what to tell you.

Here's a short video I made showing how I use them for different lines.

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:38 am

I must have gotten a bad version of the Volt. Mine is black, 168 grams, and was flippy out of the box. It does feel comfortable in my hand and is easy for me to get a strong grip and easy release.

I will probably pick up another one with the hopes that it is an as advertised stable version. Maybe they had a problem with this run of black Volts?
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby Mike C » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 pm

I actually came across a pink 168 like that too. I don't know if it were all 168's or just a certain run that flew like that.

The yellow and pastel pink are 175, and my magenta and blue are 170 and fly just as stable as the 175. Dunno what's up with those 168's.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Mike C wrote:I actually came across a pink 168 like that too. I don't know if it were all 168's or just a certain run that flew like that.

The yellow and pastel pink are 175, and my magenta and blue are 170 and fly just as stable as the 175. Dunno what's up with those 168's.

My blue 168 is flippy as well. No slant and easy to grip for short fingers. Because i didn't like mine i haven't tried other Volts.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 am

And my 174 pink... So it's not just the 168g ones.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Mike C » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 pm

You guys might want to give the proton volts a look then. I'll be posting a video soon of me ripping them hard 400' on different lines and they fly with a beefier HSS than the Neutrons I have.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mike C » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:14 am

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:06 am

It looks like a totally different disc and yet it gets competition from other manufacturers. PD and not the most overstable but still overstable Eagles might overlap. Yes Eagle is slower and shorter i know. Proton Volts look power hungry. What happens to the LSS and departure from straight line flight as a percentage of the total distance when you back down the power to 380'? I think that's the maximum i could toss that disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mike C » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:02 am

If I threw this disc 380', flat release, flat ground, no wind, say 10-15' high, it should remain dead straight or track right up to 5' during the high speed portion of the flight, then fade in the ballpark of 20' left of the release point.

They feel a bit faster out of my hand than the Neutrons, and respond to power a lot differently, but still seem pretty straight when powered down. I have a few shorter flicks in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weurnQj-wOM
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:26 am

I like the pulled power shots much better because for the low power they don't start the fade early and add to the hyzer quickly but glide forward dominant for a long while. Hmm that makes me wanna try one.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 am

Proton Volt = faster old school (clear and flat) champ/KC pro TB.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Flipflat » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:16 pm

How's the molding consistency on these Proton Volts?
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Mike C » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:15 am

Flipflat wrote:How's the molding consistency on these Proton Volts?

I've thrown six that were 170-175g and they look, feel and fly identical. I brought them all out yesterday and five different people tried them, and everyone found it effortless to get a dead straight flight before the fade kicked in. Everyone was able to hit 360-380' with them that tried them.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:15 am

Flipflat wrote:How's the molding consistency on these Proton Volts?

I played with Chad and Brad a couple of weeks ago...I had 6 PVolts and each of them probably had about the same. They were all identical pretty much. Brad and I even accidentally switched discs.

These are worthy to be compared to PDs.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Which kind of PD? Any kind sounds like a major boost to the HSS of my Neutron Volt.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment