MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The ION is released!

Postby Hoey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:35 am

These feel great! Trying to learn how to work and type here whilst I twirl these on the other hand.

Hmm, haven't used "whilst" in a while.

We now got 'em at MSt...

http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-19204

Some X-Outs too...

we've also weighed every one, y'all did a great job of keeping the weights basically to what they say on the back! Nice!

And again, DGR helps provide some crucial info for the description. 8)
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Re: The ION is released!

Postby what'shisname » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:27 pm

I've been fondling mine for over a week now and haven't been able to toss it more than the 15' I have available in my basement yet. I'm loving the feel of it though and it looks sweet.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: The Official ION Discussion Page

Postby djext1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Just a stupid question, and maybe it's already been stated but I missed it: Are these PDGA approved yet?

Also, to those that have them, how would you compare them to say a Magic putter? I have a couple SS Magics that I just love, but always open to new putters and just wondered how they compared, feeling wise.
djext1
Noob

Postby BCR-9er » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:53 pm

djext1 wrote:Just a stupid question, and maybe it's already been stated but I missed it: Are these PDGA approved yet?

Yes, they are PDGA approved.
Brad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
BCR-9er
Tree Magnet

Postby BCR-9er » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 pm

The ION available at Disc Golf Museum.
Brad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
BCR-9er
Tree Magnet

Postby DPJ88 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:03 pm

hmm. very cool.

I will definitely pick one of these up come spring when I can actually enjoy it! :D
Pred - Orc - EagleX - River - Wasp - Buzzz - Fuse - Challenger
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby tigel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:42 am

DPJ88 wrote:hmm. very cool.

I will definitely pick one of these up come spring when I can actually enjoy it! :D

Hey, if I was able to go out yesterday to kaposia and play I think anyone can. I just moved here from southern Missouri. I didn't know what over 3 inches of snow was until now. ;)

The Ion gripped really well until one of mine started freezing over (ice crystals everywhere). Most of my discs were doing this by the end of the day so its not the discs fault. I'm glad they felt normal in below zero weather. I was worried they would stiff up or something but they didn't.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:04 pm

Got mine today. Big Kudos to the guys at Cam Realty. Solid idea, and well put together. Even if I didn't like the discs, the attention and work to start up something like this is cool. As for the putters...... I like 'em. I am and have been a Challenger guy for a long time, and I am not about to jump ship, but I do try and give some of the new stuff a fair shake. Played around the yard and adjacent field for an hour or so this evening. The discs really feel good. The little things that obviously were thought of and paid attention to are easy to spot. The contour on the bottom of the disc where the rim meets the flight plate is rounded, and the seam between materials is almost seamless. The protos are a bit lighter than my normal putters, 166 vs. 168, but they come out of the hand really cleanly, and the flight seems to be consistent. Didn't have time to do a lot of jump putting, but the combination of glide and stability makes me think they will be average at worst. Short forehands were the area they didn't excel in for me, but that is a very touch shot with any disc. I was quite pleased with how they behaved when thrown as drives. I was afraid they would be super flippy, but they are very good finesse discs. Time will tell if they are bag additions, but I am most pleased, and will try and share them with some other players if nothing else.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 am

Just got mine today, and man - these are some sweet discs!

It's been said before, but it really does feel good in the hand. The diameter seems just right for me, and overall the disc is flexy but not floppy. You really get a good "touch" through the flight plate, and I'm thinking that the premium plastic won't suffer from as much clovering and deformation as some base/soft plastics tend to. I'm also liking the rounded edge where the rim meets the flight plate on the underside - it shows how much thought was put into the design. The plastic is pretty slick, but grip dosen't seem to be an issue for me as long as it's clean and dry.

I've never putted with premium plastic, and I'm eager to see how this performs out on the course. I'm really hoping this will find it's way into my bag - it just looks so cool 8)
"I don't know who started it and I don't give a f***. The one thing I do know is that we did it harder, we did it faster, and we definitely did it with more love, baby. You can't take that away from us." - Stevo, SLC Punk
Mad Scientist
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:22 am

Has anyone besides me worn the flashing off of their Ion yet? I was talking to dgdave about this last night and was wondering what others experience with it was.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:59 am

For those that have experience with the Ion, how do you think it compares to the Magnet? Do you think it would compliment it well, or would it be more a case of choosing one over the other?
"I don't know who started it and I don't give a f***. The one thing I do know is that we did it harder, we did it faster, and we definitely did it with more love, baby. You can't take that away from us." - Stevo, SLC Punk
Mad Scientist
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby dgdave » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 pm

It is way less stable. I can toss a magnet 280-300 and it is straight. The Ion would be turning with a possible burning. When they are fresh and have the flashing it could be managed.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby BCR-9er » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

The ION is now available at Clearwater Disc Golf Store.
Brad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
BCR-9er
Tree Magnet

Postby JimW » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Cool, I can fondle one soon.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby tigel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:17 pm

for some reason I can't throw an Ion on any upshots for the life of me.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment