A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Postby discspeed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:50 am

jubuttib wrote:Any possibility it was a freak one? Maybe most DXs aren't quite that understable.

It was super domey. I only grabbed one (it was the only heavy dx we had) and it is super domey. I know that they are not all like this as I had one that was a little more stable that I got in a tourney a couple years ago (wish I kept it). It wasn't real stable though. This sucks because they do something to dx Wraiths and Teerexes to make them more stable, yet they neglect the Destroyer...I guess my water disc is going to be the Pro Destroyer because I too often am throwing into a headwind on the particular hole I need it for.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Cali » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 am

2 First Run Stars.

One beat, one shiny and new. Although the beat one seems to have held onto its stability. They pretty much do the same thing as one another but I like having 2 around for taking multiple practice shots on certain holes.
Cali
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby emiller3 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:06 pm

I like that at my altitude I can throw a Destroyer flat and no matter how much I put on it, it won't turn, even at 400'. It's consistent and dependable. But after playing a week at a lower altitude, I found that it's robbing me of about 50' of distance by fading hard right (LHBH) instead of forward. I dropped down about 3000' and I was able to get some turn on an almost new Pro Destroyer, and I threw at least 440' every time, with my longest throw going 470' (brought my GPS along to measure, I'm a dork.) That's my longest non-wind aided throw to date. It was like magic, I was ripping it so well consistently. I really enjoyed it.

Then I get back and all of a sudden I'm throwing nose up again (I struggle getting my weight forward) and that newish Pro Destroyer is only going about 380', thanks to my suddenly poor form and my lack of power to turn it in this thin air. Oh well. I look forward to the time it gets seasoned enough to fly like it did last week, and it seems like it's breaking in pretty quick.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby peppermack » Mon May 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Me likey Pro Destryer!! i have not thrown a destroyer in a couple of years, and certianly not since I learned the one inch punch. late snap, crush the fuck out of it throw that Blake and Bradley havve been teaching in the technique section. I picked up a new 175g pro destroyer today cause last week I was having a hard time keeping the wraith from going way right on big throws. Holy shit, this thing bombed straight and then faded hard hit the ground out at about 430' then skipped another 50'. I was left of the hole by 100' though, but yowey zowey, it is good stuff. I would imagine when it breaks in it will have less fade? Also, is there one that has less fade out of the box?
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby emiller3 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:09 pm

If you threw it 480' on a dead straight line (no noticeable high speed turn), you must be at elevation...like 5000'+? I've thrown a new one that far at 4000' and it had noticeable high speed turn. If that's the case, then I'd say no, in my experience you won't lose that LSS, and you'll want something else for more narrow fairways.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby peppermack » Mon May 10, 2010 2:13 pm

ya, I live at 5000' here in Idaho, but in two months I will be living at 950' in West Virginia. A worn Pro won't straighten out at all?
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby Jeronimo » Mon May 10, 2010 2:27 pm

I throw mine 123456789 ft on a hyzer spike.

Underwater.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby peppermack » Mon May 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Jeronimo wrote:I throw mine 123456789 ft on a hyzer spike.

Underwater.

I'd like to see that sweet throw.....smartass :D
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby emiller3 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 pm

peppermack wrote:ya, I live at 5000' here in Idaho, but in two months I will be living at 950' in West Virginia. A worn Pro won't straighten out at all?

I have a new Pro, seasoned Pro, and beat Pro. Pretty big difference in HSS, but virtually the same LSS. The seasoned and beat Pros will finish dead ahead via an s-curve, but none of them fly "straight." If you're going to sea level, I don't know what the effect will be, but my experience is that LSS doesn't vary as much as HSS, so I'd expect the experience to be similar.

All in all, though, I consider a new Pro Destroyer to be pretty straight. Fading 50' forward AND 100' left is not typical, in my experience you should be in the circle if your Destroyer faded 50' forward and you threw straight at the basket. Still, I carry Valks for straight shots.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby patdabunny » Tue May 11, 2010 12:11 pm

peppermack wrote:ya, I live at 5000' here in Idaho, but in two months I will be living at 950' in West Virginia. A worn Pro won't straighten out at all?

Once you move east, try and make it over to KY. I'll meet up with ya for a round, any time I can. I live in Louisville (~3 hrs from WV) and my wife's fam lives in Lexington (2hrs from WV).

I'm looking into Destroyers as well. I have been impressed with E* plastic and was trying to decide between that and Pro. I'm moving up in D, up to about 400' consistently, max around 425'. Goal for end of May is 450'.

Should i just stick with my beasts? I can get them out to 425', FYI. Just don't know what to do and don't want to keep buying and trying plastic if others have already been there, done that.

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby peppermack » Tue May 11, 2010 4:28 pm

I would love to play some DG with ya Daniel, I am yet to play any DG with the DGR brethren!
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby niuvalleycane » Tue May 11, 2010 4:54 pm

peppermack wrote:I would love to play some DG with ya Daniel, I am yet to play any DG with the DGR brethren!

yeah sounds like I'll miss the window to play a round with you when we head to Manhattan MT in August for our Yellowstone trip, congrats on the move tho!!
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby peppermack » Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm

niuvalleycane wrote:
peppermack wrote:I would love to play some DG with ya Daniel, I am yet to play any DG with the DGR brethren!

yeah sounds like I'll miss the window to play a round with you when we head to Manhattan MT in August for our Yellowstone trip, congrats on the move tho!!

Thanks man, when were you coming out again? We are moving in mid July?
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:24 pm

picked up a 172 Echo the other day and it is fuckin' RIDICULOUS, so beefy i struggle to get it past 320 or so :( (regular Destroyer tosses go in the 380/400 realm for reference) i can throw my XXX a good deal past this thing, even in 20+ mph head winds i couldnt get her to flip up and go :? ...... do not want
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby patdabunny » Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:picked up a 172 Echo the other day and it is fuckin' RIDICULOUS, so beefy i struggle to get it past 320 or so :( (regular Destroyer tosses go in the 380/400 realm for reference) i can throw my XXX a good deal past this thing, even in 20+ mph head winds i couldnt get her to flip up and go :? ...... do not want

Domey or flat? Color?
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment