A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: A question for you Destroyer throwers...

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:56 pm

drledford93 wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:picked up a 172 Echo the other day and it is fuckin' RIDICULOUS, so beefy i struggle to get it past 320 or so :( (regular Destroyer tosses go in the 380/400 realm for reference) i can throw my XXX a good deal past this thing, even in 20+ mph head winds i couldnt get her to flip up and go :? ...... do not want

Domey or flat? Color?

domey as any E* i have, yellow w/ orange hues on top
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby discspeed » Wed May 12, 2010 9:14 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
drledford93 wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:picked up a 172 Echo the other day and it is fuckin' RIDICULOUS, so beefy i struggle to get it past 320 or so :( (regular Destroyer tosses go in the 380/400 realm for reference) i can throw my XXX a good deal past this thing, even in 20+ mph head winds i couldnt get her to flip up and go :? ...... do not want

Domey or flat? Color?

domey as any E* i have, yellow w/ orange hues on top

That's crazy...those are the ones I have in my bag (only 174). Mine were just overstable enough to not have any high speed turn when new. I've got one a little flippy now and it is nice. They do fade like mofos though, but they recover from a turn really well too.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby emiller3 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:18 am

The Echo I have is very domey, purple, still pretty new and max weight. Like discspeed said, it'll fade hard, but not before going straight for most of its flight. I've often been able to throw it 400'.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby discspeed » Fri May 14, 2010 8:38 am

I've been testing a CFR Glow Champ Destroyer and this thing is a beast! It is more overstable and better in a headwind than any of my others. What's nice is that it is overstable and fairly flat, so it doesn't get slowed by the headwinds or pushed by crosswinds.
discspeed

Postby MR. WICK » Fri May 14, 2010 8:42 am

discspeed wrote:I've been testing a CFR Glow Champ Destroyer and this thing is a beast! It is more overstable and better in a headwind than any of my others. What's nice is that it is overstable and fairly flat, so it doesn't get slowed by the headwinds or pushed by crosswinds.

More reliable than an X-Cal? What weight are you throwing? I need one thats better into the wind. My domey champ one is piggy but too slow into the wind and I've been gettting more power on my backhands lately and my newer pro ones are flipping too. It's been really windy lately though.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Fri May 14, 2010 8:53 am

TeamTollandDG wrote:
discspeed wrote:I've been testing a CFR Glow Champ Destroyer and this thing is a beast! It is more overstable and better in a headwind than any of my others. What's nice is that it is overstable and fairly flat, so it doesn't get slowed by the headwinds or pushed by crosswinds.

More reliable than an X-Cal? What weight are you throwing? I need one thats better into the wind. My domey champ one is piggy but too slow into the wind and I've been gettting more power on my backhands lately and my newer pro ones are flipping too. It's been really windy lately though.

Our whole stock of them weight 175-176. I haven't tested our CFR glow Xcals because they are all heavier than that...177-178. I don't mind 176s in my bag, but I don't like getting used to any heavier in the case that they actually enforce the rules one of these days.
discspeed

Postby MR. WICK » Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 am

discspeed wrote:
TeamTollandDG wrote:

Our whole stock of them weight 175-176. I haven't tested our CFR glow Xcals because they are all heavier than that...177-178. I don't mind 176s in my bag, but I don't like getting used to any heavier in the case that they actually enforce the rules one of these days.

Yeah that's pretty heavy. I generally keep my driver weight around 172. I've got a new star X-cal I'm going to give a few rounds
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Fri May 14, 2010 9:10 am

I have tried Xcals...they are a little more stable than a beefy Destroyer, but not stable enough to be throw hard and flat into the wind. Since I'd rather stick to one distance mold and the Xcal is not significantly better, I just go with the Destroyer. If they can make a super fast driver that has better HSS than a Boss without being any more LSS I would probably keep one just for the wind.
discspeed

Postby pg043 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:10 am

BLURR wrote:Anybody else notice the stability difference between the one's that are marked *D and SDS on the bottom? All the SDS Destroyers I have are quite a bit more overstable than the old *D marked one's. Anybody else have the same experience?

I am curious if anyone knows this answer to this. I have heard this too, and I read somewhere that Nikko likes the "SDS" destroyers. But of that last 50 or so star destroyers that came in at my shop, there was almost an even mix. Most said *DS, but at least 15-20 were marked S/DS. I can tell that it's different handwriting between the two, and there are no noticeable differences in terms of plastic composition or domeyness, so it might just be two different employees who have two different ways they like to mark it. Anyone have some insight?
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Fri May 14, 2010 11:22 am

pg043 wrote:
BLURR wrote:Anybody else notice the stability difference between the one's that are marked *D and SDS on the bottom? All the SDS Destroyers I have are quite a bit more overstable than the old *D marked one's. Anybody else have the same experience?

I am curious if anyone knows this answer to this. I have heard this too, and I read somewhere that Nikko likes the "SDS" destroyers. But of that last 50 or so star destroyers that came in at my shop, there was almost an even mix. Most said *DS, but at least 15-20 were marked S/DS. I can tell that it's different handwriting between the two, and there are no noticeable differences in terms of plastic composition or domeyness, so it might just be two different employees who have two different ways they like to mark it. Anyone have some insight?

Innova never pays close attention to this stuff. I've noticed mistakes and variation in the writing on the backs of all of their discs over time. I highly doubt it denotes anything specific.
discspeed

Postby koffee » Fri May 14, 2010 2:25 pm

So my max distance is now around 350 with an S – PD. It is around 280 plus with a buzz and 320 with a cyclone. I was wondering am I in the range to start looking for a Max D driver?

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby Jeronimo » Fri May 14, 2010 2:37 pm

koffee wrote:So my max distance is now around 350 with an S – PD. It is around 280 plus with a buzz and 320 with a cyclone. I was wondering am I in the range to start looking for a Max D driver?

CHEERS - Koffee

If you have not, buy an Orc!
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:43 pm

also really digging the newer production run champs, i have 2 orange @ 170 that for me are just about the perfect distance driver, real nice run of plastic (feels like it may have some XG mixed in?) and a perfect subtle dome
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby xeroxed44 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 pm

A local guy in my area has some CFR Champ Destroyers for sale. I'm curious how these fly compared to a FR Star? I only ask this particular disc because its the only other Destroyer I own. I really love the FR, but its starting to turn a little on me RHFH.

Any insights?
Destroyer-JLS-XxX/FB-Roc-Fuse-Wizard

80/20...fh/bh
xeroxed44
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby juju » Fri May 14, 2010 9:24 pm

xeroxed44 wrote:A local guy in my area has some CFR Champ Destroyers for sale. I'm curious how these fly compared to a FR Star? I only ask this particular disc because its the only other Destroyer I own. I really love the FR, but its starting to turn a little on me RHFH.

Any insights?

Best destroyers out there consist of, slight dome pro, super dome echo, and cfr glow. All the others are just meh.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment