Wizard school

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wizard school

Postby SirRaph » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:25 am

I've been grabbing up old wizards whenever I can find a deal.

I have 2 protos, one red and one blue. The red one is very flippy off the tee, but is dead straight putting. The plastic on the red one is much softer, and feels like it would taco with a decent tree smack. The blue one is more firm. The stability is more like current wizards. Interestingly enough, the tooling on the protos is the same as the current runs.

I find that the circle tooled wizards are best for driving. They're good and stable to start, and much more durable than the protos.

For anyone looking for a good stable wizard for driving that's readily available, i've found that the glows are the most consistent from run to run. Some are more firm than others, but they're all firm enough to handle workhorse driving duties.
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:59 am

original proto wizards don't have any tooling.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby RustyP » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Hey so I traded for a couple of wizards from muchachogrande and they are nice and stable again. So good job unfucking your best disc Gateway.

I picked up a stack of new wizards last week, and I second this ^

Mine are all 175g white mediums...rock hard, flat as a board on top (though some that I picked through had a minor dome), and pure beef when it comes to stability! I felt 20-30 different ones, and the softs (and most of the SS) felt just like the mediums. The SSS were noticeably softer though.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:18 am

Got a few Wizards from a tourney last weekend, not sure if I'm digging them or not. I have a tourney this weekend, so I might break them out and see how well they do. The organic one I have smells like maple syrup, makes me want to chew on it lol.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Rogue9 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:28 pm

So I am a recent convert to wizards. I bought two about two months ago that seemed fairly overstable to me. One SS one SSS. Both had some dome/shoulder. I just got another SS last night. It's waaaay flatter and much firmer than my other SS. Will it fly much different than the other two ?
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby emiller3 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Should be less glidey and more overstable. I always keep a flat, firm one in the bag for pinpoint hyzer approaches, downhill shots/putts, and full power hyzer drives. Mine all keep their shape better as well, but they are old, not sure if newer ones will do that.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Peot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33 pm

I've only started throwing them since I started playing last year, but the Gateway plastic likes to warp in my experience. It still wears in pretty well, though. A little bit of a taco has never dramatically altered a Wiz or Magic's flight characteristics for me.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby LumberJack » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:51 am

Warlock > Wizard

I'm completely biased and I offer no supporting evidence whatsoever.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Rogue9 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 am

should I do something to try and keep them from warping? I know they do that but haven't had mine long enough to experience it. Its starting to reach the 100s here, should I not keep them in the car? or just not worry about it. I think the SSS is starting to warp a bit maybe.
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Postby himynameismatt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:52 am

Peot wrote:I've only started throwing them since I started playing last year, but the Gateway plastic likes to warp in my experience. It still wears in pretty well, though. A little bit of a taco has never dramatically altered a Wiz or Magic's flight characteristics for me.

I had a SSS that had been taco'd and warped repeatedly. Thing still flew damn straight and would still hold a hyzer line w/o popping flat out to 225' or so.

However I've recently switched to the combination of a HPP, Medium, and Evolution Pro-Line, to cover my driving needs to prevent warping. I only use the S for putting so impossible to warp em that way, unless I leave them stacked in my trunk on a hot day.

HPP Plastic keeps impressing me as well. Been throwing this one for almost a year and for how floppy it is there are no chunks out of it, I have trouble even finding nicks anywhere but the bead. It's hit trees at full power just goes *FLOP* and falls instantly, kind of nice, nothing worse than bouncing one off the side of tree and sending 50+ in the wrong direction.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:44 am

All my good wizards are warped to hell. It is the sign of a good wizard.
Frank Delicious

Postby Rogue9 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 am

Frank Delicious wrote:All my good wizards are warped to hell. It is the sign of a good wizard.

warped from heat? or hits?
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:00 pm

both
Frank Delicious

Postby discspeed » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:26 pm

That's just what Wizards do...but warped is usually an understatement. "Clovered" has always been my preferred term. It has a lot to do with how a Wizard's flight plate is of variable thickness, being very thin in the center and thickening as it moves outward toward the rim. The thin stuff stretches out and stays after a while, causing the "clover".
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Aubin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 pm

my main driving wizard is barely circle shaped anymore.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment