Wizard school

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wizard school

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:46 pm

discspeed wrote:That's just what Wizards do...but warped is usually an understatement. "Clovered" has always been my preferred term. It has a lot to do with how a Wizard's flight plate is of variable thickness, being very thin in the center and thickening as it moves outward toward the rim. The thin stuff stretches out and stays after a while, causing the "clover".
Some do that. Others just plain warp.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jaysus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 am

I am sure this has been already been covered here, but I have not found the answer in my cursory search of this thread, so here goes...

I recently picked a new Wizard; first one I have bought in 3 years or so, it has the phrase "Medium Flex" stamped on top. On the bottom, below where the weight is written, "W12" is also written.

What does "W12" indicate?
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Peot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:49 am

Jaysus wrote:I am sure this has been already been covered here, but I have not found the answer in my cursory search of this thread, so here goes...

I recently picked a new Wizard; first one I have bought in 3 years or so, it has the phrase "Medium Flex" stamped on top. On the bottom, below where the weight is written, "W12" is also written.

What does "W12" indicate?

Dave probably just needed to remind himself to get his taxes done.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 am

Jaysus wrote:What does "W12" indicate?

Bad handwriting of WIZ...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Jaysus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Crosseyed0811 wrote:
Jaysus wrote:What does "W12" indicate?

Bad handwriting of WIZ...

Oh wow, that had not even crossed my mind... the "z" is awfully "2" like though ;)
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby inthedrift » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 am

I have a couple that also appear to be marked WI2. I agree that it's probably just the handwriting.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby chickenonabun » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:56 am

In my experience with a fairly warped SSS and a slightly bent SS wiz, they seem to fly the same even after they are warped.
Aviars Zones Rocs Teebirds Eagles Predators Avenger SS
chickenonabun
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:53 pm

I found a shiny, super grippy, and flexible black clovered/tacoed 174 Wizard (NO NAME or #, so its mine.) Its so broken in it just molds to my hand, I can pinch the rim, and full power throw it laser stable close to 300' with no fade. I've got a SS but can't grip it as well and turn it over, it feels in the hand like the rim is deeper than the black ones. I bought a black SSSS Wizard to replace my SSS floppy soft eraser putter but believe the SSSS with similar black grippy plastic will one day break into a similar feeling, beat up looking disc like I found.

Questions: I play heavily woods courses, can this 4S and the bad ass I found one take the trees? Are all blacks organics?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby dehaas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:45 am

i've got a few of the oldschool supersoft wizards from around 2004 that are really floppy and have clovered on the top plate. i love putting with these but prefer to throw a stiffer wizard off the tee.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby Mike C » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:01 pm

How do you guys decide which Wizard to use for your putting putter?

For the past half year or so I've been using one of the green proto organics at 166G. Floats a little better than the heavier ones, but after a while I started getting the idea that the lighter weight was fucking with my release for some reason. So I tried a less worn 171g organic Wizard, been working well but not noticeably better or worse. I have a pair of beat 175 SS wizards that fly nice and straight, would love to use either as a putter but they're a little floppier than I like.t

I've got so many Wizards it's hard to choose which ones to carry. I only need two, could easily do with just 1, but usually end up with 4 in my bag and feel bad because I'm leaving 5 sweet Wizards behind in my car =/
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Peot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Stiff/tacky M. No flex in the flight plate. Heavy-ish because I push putt and it fights the wind better.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Mike C » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Peot wrote:Stiff/tacky M. No flex in the flight plate. Heavy-ish because I push putt and it fights the wind better.

Yeah I prefer grippy but stiff too, but kind of debate going back to the 166 or going with a 175 or sticking with my 171.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Timko » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:13 pm

I like the lighter putter because it stays in the air longer when putting.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Peot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:23 pm

I like lighter and softer for jump putts and approaches. You definitely can use the extra glide if you're using Wizards
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Sean40474 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:57 pm

I've been putting with 168s for about a year and I must say that I notice a huge difference compared to max weight.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment