Wizard school

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wizard school

Postby dehaas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:42 am

nobody is a fan of the stiff E? (shameless dg joke)

i've used some of the ligher wizards that i use for approaches and tee shots, but can't say that i've used them for putting. i came from the rhyno to the wizard, so maybe i'm just used to a glideless brick of a putter. dropping from max weight to something the 160s gives the disc that much more carry? i guess i had always figured that a putt comes in slow enough that there wouldn't be a huge difference.
dehaas
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: Lebanon, IL
Favorite Disc: wizard

Re: Wizard school

Postby Peot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:00 am

dehaas wrote:nobody is a fan of the stiff E? (shameless dg joke)

i've used some of the ligher wizards that i use for approaches and tee shots, but can't say that i've used them for putting. i came from the rhyno to the wizard, so maybe i'm just used to a glideless brick of a putter. dropping from max weight to something the 160s gives the disc that much more carry? i guess i had always figured that a putt comes in slow enough that there wouldn't be a huge difference.


I had a pretty stiff E that I used for a couple months as my main driving/upshot putter until I retired it. I keep one of the really gummy FLX-like ones in the bag now; despite its lack of glide, it is pretty easy to throw far.
Peot
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Wizard school

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:03 am

Frank D's guide to deciding which wizard to throw/putt with:

1) pick up wizard and fondle it
2) decide if you like the feel and could see yourself putting/driving with it
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Wizard school

Postby Mike C » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:45 am

Peot wrote:I had a pretty stiff E that I used for a couple months as my main driving/upshot putter until I retired it. I keep one of the really gummy FLX-like ones in the bag now; despite its lack of glide, it is pretty easy to throw far.


Are there any evo wizard runs that are always gummy? I have one evo x-out with the SS stamp and it feels just like an FLX buzz. It's my favorite driving Wizard and would love more like it.

As far as putting wizards go I was sinking about twice as many with the 166 compared to the 172 so I think I'll go back to old faithful :lol:
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am
Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Wizard school

Postby emiller3 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:04 pm

You'll always come back to a good putter.

For putting, I use 170g or less softs with average tackiness. I prefer softs that are on the stiffer side.

I carry three Wizards: a glideless/flat/overstable medium, a seasoned and workable soft or medium, and a soft putter. I've been experimenting with carrying a fairly fresh soft and beating it in but haven't found much of a use for it. I have plenty of worn practice putters and old mediums to pick from for that seasoned slot. The glideless/flat/overstable medium slot is the hardest to fill when buying online and I'm currently down to my last one.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:49 am
Location: CO
Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Wizard school

Postby Mike C » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I have a 179g soft that's very stiff like a dx aviar and doesn't glide worth a shit and has a strong fade. It's got a few nicks but if you'd wanna trade let me know, it's just a water disc for me.

I went a while just rolling with my "flx" evo and organic putting wizard and maybe the water one if I'd need it, but lately I've been using one of my beat SS Wizards (Fairly firm and durable for SS) and I've been loving it. It's really nice for slight turnovers, straight shots with no fade etc.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am
Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Wizard school

Postby emiller3 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Mike C wrote:It's really nice for slight turnovers, straight shots with no fade etc.

Yup. I love throwing those lines.

I like my other Wizard for pinpoint hyzer lines, full power drives, and "flex" shots that just flatten and ride out.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:49 am
Location: CO
Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Wizard school

Postby Mike C » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Bought some more Wizards...think I'm around 30 strong now...

Image

Got some 165 Organics for putting. These are a little floppier than I like but the surface feel is so nice I'm using them anyways. Even brand new they seem to be gliding a bit better than my organic proto that's stiffer and beat up and they grab the chains extremely well.

Also grabbed two heavy evo's for driving. They're pretty overstable and glideless which is what I was looking for to compliment my beat up soft's. Finally, got a 162g soft 6/10 that I've been throwing some sweet turnovers with this weekend.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am
Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Wizard school

Postby mickas » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:27 pm

hey what are the differences in flight between the flxish evo wizards and the ones that relate more closely to champ?
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Madison Wi.
Favorite Disc: Magnet

Re: Wizard school

Postby niuvalleycane » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 pm

mickas wrote:hey what are the differences in flight between the flxish evo wizards and the ones that relate more closely to champ?


wondering also
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Re: Wizard school

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 pm

flxish ones are less stable and have more glide.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Wizard school

Postby JHern » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:09 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Frank D's guide to deciding which wizard to throw/putt with:

1) pick up wizard and fondle it
2) decide if you like the feel and could see yourself putting/driving with it


My current putter was acquired this way...a clay-colored Soft Wizard that has an amazing tacky feel, and is very stable.

My wife recently scored a 174 Org Wizard that is seriously the grippiest gummiest tackiest plastic I've ever felt in my entire life. Wonderful feel and great grip confidence, even when wet. Plus, it seems to have little arms that reach out, grab the chains, and help the disc fall into the basket. It is perfectly stable, and has a little more glide than usual. Its a great putter, I wish it weren't a generic green color that is too easy to lose. Since it is my wife's Wizard (she won it), I haven't taken it up as my main putter. But I think one of these is in my own future as a main putter. I hope those in brighter colors exhibit equally great qualities.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Wizard school

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Let's just say you happened to own 5 new putters: 3 175 Medium Wizards (slightly tacky, stiff), a 175 SSS Wizard (stiff for SSS, tacky!) and a 170 SS Magic (slightly stiffer than the SSS Wiz).

Let's also say you were deciding the best way to use these 5 putters. Which would you use for putting? upshots? driving? How might you rotate them in?

I picked these 5 putters up recently to make a switch. Just trying to figure out how to best use them, and thought I would come to the Wizard School to find answers. I realize much of this comes to preference, but I would love to hear some thoughts. Thanks!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Wizard school

Postby jsun3thousand » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:36 pm

i still carry one of the first two wizards i bought. when i broke up with the banger, a super stiff glow wizard stole my heart. doesn't glow, tho. still use medium and pretty firm glow wizards for practice. i'm using stiffer glow wizards in the heat because i get a better grip. i also have a 160 medium wizard with a sunken top for turnover and touchier putter shots.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc
User avatar
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: the tomb of don zimmer
Favorite Disc: #63

Re: Wizard school

Postby Steve » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:Let's just say you happened to own 5 new putters: 3 175 Medium Wizards (slightly tacky, stiff), a 175 SSS Wizard (stiff for SSS, tacky!) and a 170 SS Magic (slightly stiffer than the SSS Wiz).

Let's also say you were deciding the best way to use these 5 putters. Which would you use for putting? upshots? driving? How might you rotate them in?

I picked these 5 putters up recently to make a switch. Just trying to figure out how to best use them, and thought I would come to the Wizard School to find answers. I realize much of this comes to preference, but I would love to hear some thoughts. Thanks!

Practice using all the wizards. Use the Mediums for overstable upshots. Use the magic for understable upshots till you get a wizard or two broke in. Use the sss wizard for putting duty unless you find one that does it better.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: 515
Favorite Disc: OLF

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests