Wizard school

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wizard school

Postby Eric O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:48 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I actually like the new HPP wizards.

Which are you referring to? The clear Evo, or something newer than that? It's hard for me to follow all Gateway's plastic experiments and technology advancements(?).

I never liked the plastic all that much of the older Evo. The clear is an upgrade from there. I tried to like it for medium to longer range wizard shots and even gave it several months or more (long enough that I put an ace on one). Eventually it was back to stiff blends of sure-grip like everybody else.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 am

The HPP are the clear and I think if they are not completely clear they are calling them EHPP or something like that. I like them and use them a lot like a champ rhyno, they are stable, don't have a ton of glide and don't skip.

Dave: no, they are still gummy.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Eric O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 am

They fly as you describe in my hands also, but unfortunately those aren't the characteristics I'm looking to get out of a Wizard other than the stable part. The above could almost be a description of the CFR Gator I would use for that kind of thing.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:06 am

I love me some champ rhynos but it is weird throwing them and wizards together b/c the grips feel so different in my hand. When the HPP wizards came out, they offered a great solution to that problem.
Frank Delicious

Postby RustyP » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:24 am

I haven't picked up a new Wizard in a long time...can anyone tell me what the most recent production run of Mediums is like? I've been using a teal large-wizard-stamped medium that's lightly glossy (compared to CT Mediums), stiff along the rim / pliable on the flight plate, and has a slight tack to the grip -- looking for a suitable backup.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 am

The newest mediums I've gotten have been made out of a plastic that beats in oddly quick for a wizard (think dx BB aviar beat in time) but the stiffer organics I've got in the rotation are much more solid.
Frank Delicious

Postby Eric O » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:15 pm

RustyP wrote:I haven't picked up a new Wizard in a long time...can anyone tell me what the most recent production run of Mediums is like? I've been using a teal large-wizard-stamped medium that's lightly glossy (compared to CT Mediums), stiff along the rim / pliable on the flight plate, and has a slight tack to the grip -- looking for a suitable backup.
At Next Adventure the other day they had some new white mediums. They had the standard stamp with "medium" prominently written. They were pretty stiff but the surface was a little tacky. No gloss. Super flat flight plate. Nicest mediums I've seen brand new in a while. I was not there for discs and it took huge amounts of willpower not to buy the 2 max wts on the shelf. I bet they fly great.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mr. Plow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:59 am

Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

Someone want to help me out here and tell me what I've got, and approximately how much these are worth? I know these are all older Wizards, but other than that don't know much about them because up until recently I was an Innova guy. These all fell into my lap when I bought out a collection, sooooo, help a brother out and drop some knowledge? Pretty please? :mrgreen:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Destroyer/PD/TB/Roc/Aviar/VP
Mr. Plow
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Booter » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:22 am

not worth more than a reg wiz honestly todd. all of those dont have tooling but it just means theyre older than the circle tools if im not mistaken. those "G" wizards arent the popular G9i's but they feel good still. i wouldnt estimate u making some good money on these on dgr or dgcr but i think locally u can swing something or they would make for nice trade bait
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Pat » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:59 am

someone recently was looking for the G... wizards
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mr. Plow » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:01 pm

booter wrote:not worth more than a reg wiz honestly todd. all of those dont have tooling but it just means theyre older than the circle tools if im not mistaken. those "G" wizards arent the popular G9i's but they feel good still. i wouldnt estimate u making some good money on these on dgr or dgcr but i think locally u can swing something or they would make for nice trade bait
Thanks Booter, I appreciate the info. I do know a few guys around here who might be interested, so maybe I'll try that route.
Destroyer/PD/TB/Roc/Aviar/VP
Mr. Plow
Fairway Surgeon

Postby makeyourself23 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Thats me!! I was looking for the ... (G) wizards. What weight are they Todd?
Its just water moving down hill over rocks.
makeyourself23
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Classic Roc

Postby makeyourself23 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:21 pm

booter wrote:not worth more than a reg wiz honestly todd. all of those dont have tooling but it just means theyre older than the circle tools if im not mistaken. those "G" wizards arent the popular G9i's but they feel good still. i wouldnt estimate u making some good money on these on dgr or dgcr but i think locally u can swing something or they would make for nice trade bait

Whats the difference between the G Logo "..." and the G9i's?
makeyourself23
Tree Magnet

Postby makeyourself23 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:29 pm

This is the one I prefer. It looks a little more slick than yours Todd but I cant tell from the picture.
http://img97.imageshack.us/slideshow/index.php?create=yes&id=img97/6702/1283714785ia9.smil&auth_key=f88c0e7258efba7e571d4022f20737b7&public=&tags=
makeyourself23
Tree Magnet

Postby jnecessary » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Anyway to tell by fondling which Wizards are the most overstable? I have put a Pig in my bag because I just can't find a freak stable Wiz.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment