Glow Discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Glow Discs

Postby asimo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:34 pm

I was hoping to find some solid answer to questions I have about glow discs. Which manufacturer makes the best ones? Do any of them work well enough to play in the dead of night? If so, how much will they need to be recharged? Does anyone play regularly at night? Is it better to somehow hook lights to the disc?
asimo
Noob

Postby calvarycoffee » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:31 am

asimo,

done it a few times. i use a glow cheetah and glo rock. just be sure to memorize where the baskets and obsticals are! hehe

during my round i carry a small battery powered floresent black light. it works surprisingly well. of course, muddy discs don't glow that well.

during the first tee i'll charge the disc for 30 seconds. then before each throw i'll give it a 3 second charge.

i would say 1 second of charging equals 1 minute of glowing. i havent really timed the glow period but 10 minutes would probably be the max to retain a charge.

here is the page of where i bought it:
http://www.epartyunlimited.com/blacklight.html

its about $10 and it makes your discs (especially tie-dye) look super cool. imo, it is well worth the 10 bucks.

its small enough for a cell-phone pocket. i take the batteries out when storing it. it has a tendency to turn on when jiggling around in my bag

tip: watch where you walk. pay attention for holes and fallen branches and low tree branches. animal poop, water, ect.

otherwise, night golf can be quite a rush. have fun.
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:24 am

discraft's photon glow outlast innova's glow charges by about 5x as long. from my experiences, innova glow only lasts 30-90 seconds on a full charge whereas the photon glow is more like 2-5 minutes.

imo, skip the glow altogether and invest in some nite flite lights, which are $3-4 and last 40 hours each. can tape 1-2 of them on the discs you plan to use (on the top if they are opaque, on the bottom if they are transparent).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby asimo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:17 am

Which night flight lights do you recommend?
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:45 pm

red work better than yellow or green.
Blake_T

Postby asimo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:59 pm

I meant what brand/type of light?
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:29 am

doesn't really matter.
Blake_T

Glow Discin'

Postby CCovington4169 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:52 am

You can buy a few nite flite lites at DISCFLY.COM, any color works fine. We use one or two depending on the disc, obviously candy discs (see thru) work best. We also use lunkers, these are mini glow sticks you can find on ebay or any fishing store, they're 1.5" glow sticks that you can tape onto your disc. We also use 6" glow sticks to light up the pins. There are some battery operated glow sticks at WalMart. So buy some clear packaging tape and have fun! There's a group of us that strictly play glow golf, we used to use the glow discs, but found them too much of a hassle to keep glowing, sure we packed around a mini battery operated black light we found at Fred Meyers, and even tried the flash from a camera, but they're harder to find!
ccovington4169@aol.com
CCovington4169
Noob

Favorite Disc: Boss

Postby Blake_T » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:07 am

www.gottagogottathrow.com where i work carries nite flite lites, mini glow sticks, full sized glow sticks, and portable black lights (although might be out of stock on the black lights).

i miss fred meyers from my days that i spent in college in tacoma and portland.
Blake_T

Return to Equipment