Max Vs. Monster

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Solty » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:38 pm

The Natural wrote:And they are really sweet. My favorite disc. The rim is a little wider and they are a little larger in diameter to a DX version. The top is almost dead flat which I like.

I beat up DX's to fast......i have a CE FX and now a CE FL....as well as a few Pro(Candy) FLs that are my babies.

i'm starting to learn sidearm so these will work nice for that. I wanna just add another shot to my bag....and i only currently use sidearm to get outta trouble.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:45 pm

I throw probably 60-70 % of my shots sidearm and that's why I love the Firebird
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:50 pm

why is it that everyone (including me) loves overstable discs for sidearm? please dont say off axis torque....even though I know you will!
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby garublador » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:55 pm

Aaron_D wrote:why is it that everyone (including me) loves overstable discs for sidearm? please dont say off axis torque....even though I know you will!

I've also heard the theories the the amount of spin you can put on a disc and incorrect nose angle (too much nose down) contribute to discs acting more understable for most (i.e. not that good) sidearm throwers. I have a friend who throws sidearm and his main driver is an XL. One of the only discs he has that he can turnover is a beat up Archangel.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:58 pm

I like the overstable disc because I know exactly what it is going to do.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby Solty » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:58 pm

truthfully, i cant throw sidearm to save my life right now...:)
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:00 pm

Aaron_D wrote:why is it that everyone (including me) loves overstable discs for sidearm? please dont say off axis torque....even though I know you will!

because most people just don't throw forehands correctly....
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:10 pm

which is another way of saying "off-axis torque".

:lol:
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby the invisible tree » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:46 pm

I really only throw a sidearm to get a right turn so throwing anything other than an overstable disc kinda defeats the purpose.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:34 pm

the invisible tree wrote:

I really only throw a sidearm to get a right turn so throwing anything other than an overstable disc kinda defeats the purpose.

hmmm...I like that answer better than mine.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby deaddisc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:06 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:

I would have to disagree strongly here. I throw a very good forehand, not even fake pumping myself up. Ive found that when you are able to get good snap on the disc with good form, you can put much more spin on a disc than with a bh drive. Thus, the reason why people love overstable discs for sidearm is that they just want something to fill a void of long anny shots. This void is filled perfectly with a strong sidearm using overstable discs. However this maxes out your sidearm distance between 300 and 400 depending on how good you can throw it.
Recently I have been trying to find a disc that I can s-curve forehand for a longer D shot (450+). Ive thrown a few nice ones with campion starfires, pro/star wraiths, and champ orc; however they all beat in too quickly and only have a short life of the usefulness of this shot. My next thought is to throw the Maxx and see how that works. Could be a fruitless pursuit, and I could just be back to my 350' z-flick but I'll never know without trying.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:53 am

Let us know how the max works out. I've been a little skeptical of the really fast innova discs (after I hated the T-Rex)
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:23 am

deaddisc wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:

I would have to disagree strongly here. I throw a very good forehand, not even fake pumping myself up. Ive found that when you are able to get good snap on the disc with good form, you can put much more spin on a disc than with a bh drive. Thus, the reason why people love overstable discs for sidearm is that they just want something to fill a void of long anny shots. This void is filled perfectly with a strong sidearm using overstable discs. However this maxes out your sidearm distance between 300 and 400 depending on how good you can throw it.
Recently I have been trying to find a disc that I can s-curve forehand for a longer D shot (450+). Ive thrown a few nice ones with campion starfires, pro/star wraiths, and champ orc; however they all beat in too quickly and only have a short life of the usefulness of this shot. My next thought is to throw the Maxx and see how that works. Could be a fruitless pursuit, and I could just be back to my 350' z-flick but I'll never know without trying.

I agree and disagree with this. I'm also a pretty good sidearmer--I don't get HUGE D on my shots, but better than most, and usually fairly accurate.I too believe that sidearmers like overstable discs b/c of the inherent physics at play, but I don't think it's b/c the sidearm shot gets more spin.

I think that the sidearm shot actually gets LESS spin than the backhand, but its advantage is that it leaves the hand with more speed. That's why it's easier for a beginner to get a nice S-curve with a max distance disc sidearmed rather than backhanded, because they're able to get the disc up to the right speed for it to turn over. Because of the amount of speed that a forehand can generate, we need a disc that's more HSS to keep it from flipping over into a cut roller. But because there's less spin on the disc, when the LSF part of the flight kicks in, the disc will dive harder than if thrown backhand. It's because of the amount of spin you can put on the disc backhanded that backhanded drives are the longest. A good example is that kid on the Latitude 64 site, he's throwing BH, and it doesn't look like an extraordinarily fast drive, but he's got such mad spin on it, that it just keeps going FOREVER (and those discs are overstable too!).
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby deaddisc » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:31 am

The Natural wrote:Let us know how the max works out. I've been a little skeptical of the really fast innova discs (after I hated the T-Rex)

OK the verdict is in on the Star Maxx for me and, I LOVE IT. It flattens out nicely on as hard of a throw as I want to put on it, but then it will predictably fade back at the end. I would reccomend this disc to anyone who has a strong forehand and has been searching for a disc that will perform almost a 5 turn shot but with a fh. It is for me by far the longest consistent forehand disc that I have in my bag and I cant wait to get in more and more work with it. If anyone has one max weight and doesnt want it, send me a pm and I will gladly take it off of your hands.
Also, I really like the star teerex for a similar shot but without the max d. You cannot rip the teerex like you can the max because it will turn right over and go nowhere. However, on a stand still it can be a very effective shot for the 4-5 turn fh which seems to me to be a shot that many courses force you to make.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:15 pm

I also believe sidearm gets less spin on it. As my backhand rollers will jump up in speed when they land, sidearm will not. My two most used discs for sidearm is my thrashed Roc, the other my Spirit. Sidearm annies will swoop left more than a bh hyzer, Roc also for dead nutz straight shots <200' hyzer flipping it, and the spirit for trick shots and knife hyzers. It's always fun to have a 150' swooping S-curve with an overstable disc too.

The Max looks like it is a real good sidearm disc, other than the fact that like a wraith/rex it's very gyroscopic. Which means = less spin on it than, perse, a teebird. It will hold a good annnie, straight line and fade (but like the Monster-L not extremely hard, but it will be there)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment