Max Vs. Monster

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:28 pm

So how do you think it compares to the flight of a flick. I throw that for sidearm max D right now.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Weebl » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:30 pm

I don't throw flicks, but it seems comparable.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby deaddisc » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:34 pm

Well I would say that the flick has been by go to forehand disc for sometime now, as can be seen from my numerous posts supporting it. The max and the flick are comparable somewhat. I would say that the max is more like an extremely beat in max weight z flick. The max is much easier to keep straight for a longer period of flight without having to use bad form to basically force the disc over. The speed 11 characteristics are there in that regard, but thats where they stop. The disc's stability is strong enough to pull it out of the speed 11 forehand turnover that plagues the teerex/wraith. I would say to compare the max and the flick that the max is longer with less fade. Also on shorter shots that require more of a straight run before a late fade the max is the bomb digity. It is easy to keep it straight for a while and then it will consistently fade at the end. If you throw forehand for distance (300+) then I would certainly reccomend getting a max weight Max and having at it, you wont regret it.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:37 pm

Seems like it might be worth a try. I've hit a distance platueau with the flick at about 300-320.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby deaddisc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:01 am

The Natural wrote:Seems like it might be worth a try. I've hit a distance platueau with the flick at about 300-320.

I did too mainly because it is nearly impossible to get a flick to s curve on a forehand without using bad form or an extremely beat disc. I would certainly advise you to go get a max weight Max and have at it.
On a side note, do you play for any of the teams in the team challenge up in NEFA land?
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:10 am

deaddisc wrote:
The Natural wrote:Seems like it might be worth a try. I've hit a distance platueau with the flick at about 300-320.

I did too mainly because it is nearly impossible to get a flick to s curve on a forehand without using bad form or an extremely beat disc.
I'll try to get a video of a buddy who throws the Flick sidearm over 400' consistantly, it's the only shot in his bag over 150', but it's insane how well he throws sidearm and effortlessly with no injury (so far). He carries, I think, 5 different flicks...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:23 am

Wow five flicks! Mine is actuall a 166 gram. I can get it to work a little s curve very late in the flight before it comes back and drops pretty hard out of the air. but this is mostly if I really rip it (sometimes I rip it too much - I am an ex baseball player (pitcher) and it gets ugly). It would be cool to see some of those huge flick shots.
As far as
On a side note, do you play for any of the teams in the team challenge up in NEFA land?

I don't play on any of the teams in the Team Challenge, I do however play in a few of the leagues and NEFA tournaments.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby Drew » Wed May 30, 2007 11:15 pm

sorry to dig up this old thread, but this question didnt warrant a new thread. I was given a pro line monster and i was wondering how this stacked up stability wise. I really need a disc that i can wail on into the wind and be sure that it will be straight and come back.

I heard mention of the monster l and x molds. this one doesnt have any indication one way or another, but i was wondering if the pro lines were a specific mold. and also how available more of them are because after a few throws i really love this disc. nearly aced a difficult hole with my second throw.

Lastly, in general how does this run stack up stability wise with the other overstables out there.
http://www.lionsgatekennels.com

Youtube sight for the Ultimate Disc Golf Show. Full website under construction featuring: interviews, tournament videos, instructional videos, discs for sale.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=UDGS
Drew
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 31, 2007 12:19 am

i am not sure but I believe they were the X mold. Look for the notch at the eadge of the wing.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby adidadg » Thu May 31, 2007 7:29 am

im pretty sure that on the "Ask Dave..." thread on the PDGA site he said it was the L mold. Sounds right to me since mine isnt even close to being as stable as my firebird of the same weight.

Absolute money disc though, i use mine for alot of forehands and long pure hyzer shots. It can still handle most headwinds but if its near hurricane conditions i step up to the firebird.
adidadg

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 31, 2007 10:09 am

adidadg wrote: Sounds right to me since mine isnt even close to being as stable as my firebird of the same weight.

sounds like the L mold ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby adidadg » Thu May 31, 2007 10:25 am

Does anybody know what a good substitute would be for the Pro candy Monsters should i ever lose mine? I'm thinking predator but ive never tried one.
adidadg

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:30 am

Star Monsters are about the same as the old Pro Lines.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 31, 2007 10:31 am

a pred wouldnt be a good sub. another monster would fly most like a monster.

the pred is a better disc though :roll:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Drew » Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 am

with this being the l mold will it still do its job in the wind? I max out golf d at around 300 maybe a bit more, but i am a high arm velocity thrower with little snap so i tend to turn discs over. (constantly battleing the torque problem as well as nose angle) this disc flys very well for me, but in the face of a tough headwind will it prove unpredictable?

I have a pro fl that was a good stable disc, but when thrown in a headwind would flip. I have read it is because the l mold discs do not have a beaded rim therefore making them not "true stable" discs. bottom line i need a disc that i can rely on in wind and to crank at full power, is this something that i can work with?

I was just gonna buy a z pred and be done with it, but this disc was given to me, so i would like to give it a shot if it worthy of filling the most overstable spot in my bag. As well, am i correct in assuming that finding another pro line monster is a difficult and pricy enterprise, a star monster is the most similar?
http://www.lionsgatekennels.com

Youtube sight for the Ultimate Disc Golf Show. Full website under construction featuring: interviews, tournament videos, instructional videos, discs for sale.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=UDGS
Drew
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment