Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thr

Postby Spike » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:27 pm

IMO the thumtrac Birdie is more stable than Polecat. The second Birdie (flat top) is said to be very close to Polecat (haven't thrown it). The 1991 Birdies fly slower, and more like Rattler than Polecat. Love those!
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby jubuttib » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:23 am

The shoulder should also be different, PC's have a very square shoulder, and if the old Birdie has the Aviar top it should be very sloped.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Spike » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 am

jubuttib wrote:The shoulder should also be different, PC's have a very square shoulder, and if the old Birdie has the Aviar top it should be very sloped.

That's true. They are very different.

Top image: 1991 Birdie vs. Polecat

Bottom image: Thumtrac Birdie vs. Polecat

I don't know if the images show that the bottom part of the Birdies lean inwards while Polecat is absolutely straight. Not the best image.

Wish I could compare the flat top non-thumtrac Birdie vs. Polecat.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:11 am

Holy crap that is a stark difference.

EDIT: I think the flat-top no thumtrac birdie would just be the proto polecat after seeing these pics.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Grant » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:40 pm

New to the boards here. Have not seen any mention of super puppies on this thread yet. Am I the only one who uses these relics? I also use rattles and zephyr quite often. Love throwing these days discs just wish they came in grippier plastic for winter and fall rounds.
Grant
Noob

Favorite Disc: ESP COMET

Postby keltik » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:58 pm

well it's like you said they are relics. I would love to throw one. Hell the other day I rocked a bag with 2 polecats a rattler and a sonic. I'd put a super puppy in there with no second thoughts.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby fanter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:50 pm

I took a Birdie out to the course today on a whim. I've had it lying around for a long time after I found it at a course probably a year ago (or more). It was surprisingly stable. I could power it off the tee and it would hold a great line. I'm not sold on it yet, but I'm definitely interested. It was great for short flicks, too.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:07 pm

the lid discs are severely under rated. I love to keep three different ones in my bag. Rattler, Polecat & Sonic. I'm sure I could pare it down to just two polecats. but I love all of them.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Spike » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:01 am

fanter wrote:I took a Birdie out to the course today on a whim. I've had it lying around for a long time after I found it at a course probably a year ago (or more). It was surprisingly stable. I could power it off the tee and it would hold a great line. I'm not sold on it yet, but I'm definitely interested. It was great for short flicks, too.
That's what I keep saying too. But for some reason Dx Birdie seems to have an invisible stamp on it saying it's understable. Most lids need to be thrown with just a little bit more height, but then many of them will go straight all the way.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MizzouTiger26 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:30 pm

The girlfriend randomly picked me up a dx birdie for Christmas. Never thrown a lid before, so definitely gonna take it out to the course tomorrow to see it float in action.
PD~PD2~Quasar~Stalker~11xBanshee~Fuse~Axis~Gator~P2
MizzouTiger26
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Spike » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:00 am

MizzouTiger26 wrote:The girlfriend randomly picked me up a dx birdie for Christmas. Never thrown a lid before, so definitely gonna take it out to the course tomorrow to see it float in action.
I wouldn't expect much floating, unless it's a light weight Birdie.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:37 am

Yeah, heavy Birdies are quite stable, even overstable (my experience) and don't really float all that well.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby phatbeater » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:49 pm

The debate is always clear, you either love lids or you had them. I feel that ppl with big/bigger hands like lids moreso then ppl with smaller hands. I used to own birdies for the longest time and have since switched to the discraft rattler. My personal favorite of the 4 is the rattler. The plastic has been revamped and it is no longer AS hard as it used to be and just feels great in my hand and it's just a touch faster of a disc. The birdie is a close second because it is almost the same disc with a thumbtrac and the polecat is basically the same with just a different plastic and the rim is a little less deep (or atleast the one that I used was) and has a touch more glide then the rest.and my least being the sonic. The sonic just feels really cheap to me and I don't like how the ribbed thumb track feels in my hands and it's the most understable of the group by far. These are my personal placements and I'm sure that everyone is going to have different opinions about what I'm saying here for sure, but again just my opinion. Ppl say that they are bad in the wind. You would definitely be right, BUT every disc has it's pros and cons, EVERY disc no matter how great it is or ppl would just throw one disc. The lid discs that I've tried I.E. the polecat, birdie, sonic, and rattler fly all about the same minus the fact they are slightly different in the speed and glide category. (This is my pros and cons list for 175G putters that's the best weight for me so if you have a lighter putter it will for sure float further with less effort and be a bit more understable.) The pros of these discs are they normally have little to no fade, they don't fly too far past the basket when you miss and they are incredibly straight flyers and are great for elevator putts/shots and 100-150+ approaches that require a straight shot with little effort. The cons of these discs are they definitely aren't good in the wind because of there shape and how big they are they, definitely act like kites (I would even be careful with those easy 5-10 ft easy putts I've had mine fly over the basket in a descent wind!). They leave very little room for error if you're throwing them straight because wherever you throw them they will land for the most part straight. They sit down as soon as they lose speed really quickly, that isn't necessarily a weakness moreso of a personal preference (I for one like that.). So these discs can definitely make an addition to anyones bag just as long as you understand what they are supposed to be used for. My advice for everyone out there would be to have your normal set of discs AND discs that are great in the wind as well for EVERYTHING not just for putting. I for one use the challenger for windy putts. I hope this helps.
Driver: 175g z stalker, 2x174g surge, 174g z predator, 174g flx Avenger SS, 174g esp pulse, 174g z force
Mid-range: 178g FLX, Z, TI buzzz, 177g z wasp, 177 flx drone, 177g meteor
Putter: 175g flx challenger, 2x175g softapx, 2x175 pro-d challenger
phatbeater
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft buzzz

Postby Booter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:13 am

love me some piranhas ,kitty hawks, n super puppys
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Grant » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 pm

I picked up a couple of elite x putt'r the other day, and I am totally digging how these two feel. After cracking one of my puppies the other day I figured I would give another lid mold a try. I have tried puppies and rattles and liked how those flew and feel but I the putt'r imo has just such a great feel to it. I haven't had many opportunities to get out and practice my putting with it but I have a good feeling about this disc. I really dig how the elite x molds up and feels nice even cold and wet. Wish they would mold up some rattles in that plastic, I would buy a case of those. Anyone else throwing Putt'rs out there? Opinions?
Grant
Noob

Favorite Disc: ESP COMET

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment