Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thr

Postby Mike C » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Have a 100g polecat coming in the mail. Will record me playing a 9 hole course with just this disc when it comes in :lol:
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:57 pm

I had a sudden urge for some liddy action, so I got some coming in: 2 Praxis Freestyles, 2 Praxis Distances, 2 light (139-149) Zephyrs and a heavy (190-200) Zephyr. Have never thrown a Zephyr, and only seen them once, but I knew I wanted them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Samble » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:16 pm

So glad I found this thread! I have been really focusing on my short game recently, with the intent of starting to play in tournaments this year, and after six months of trying different putters, I finally stumbled across the Polecat. Tried a lot of pricey fancy putters, and absolutely nothing compares to these $7 miracles. I have probably taken three strokes off my average in the week I've had it.=)
BTw first post in these forums, long time lurker.
Samble
Noob

Favorite Disc: Rhyno

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Welcome Samble, happy to see you join the party. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Spike » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:15 am

jubuttib wrote:Zephyr
NOW we're talking! Love those, but I have only tried a couple of full weight ones at 200g. I think it may actually be more fun with the lighter ones, because the heavy wasn't as glidey as I thought, although they would probably be better for disc golf.
Too bad they are too big for my bag.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Boy, it's a good thing the Zephyr has the Thumbtrac, would be pretty hard to hold on to without it. Got two 139s and a 188 (even though I specified 191-200g, but meh). Haven't got a chance to really throw them yet, but they feel pretty nice. Oh, and the Praxes are great. The softer Freestyle ones might actually be even better, since whereas the stiffer Distance models tend to be bent a bit, the Freestyles look nice and even.

EDIT: As a side note, I really wish Innova would bring back their old circle stamps. I now have the Condor and Zephyr and they just look so much better than any of the modern stamps.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 pm

Mike C wrote:Have a 100g polecat coming in the mail. Will record me playing a 9 hole course with just this disc when it comes in :lol:

Do it! You got to use some heavy ass soundtrack to go with it. :lol:

I played UNC today with primarily a Polecat and a Z Putt'R and actually did better than I thought I would. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Condor and just going with a Condor and a Polecat for the rest of the Winter. I can't figure out if I want a heavy or light Condor, and I'm tempted to try out a Zephyr and Rattler for shits and giggles as well.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Not that I know anything, but heavy Condors seem to be the best rollers (if there's snow on the ground you won't be doing that), light ones seem to be the best for TRC (meaning they'll stay in the air and get carried by the wind nicely), so I'd wager that something around 170 would be best for golf. I have a 168 and it works nicely.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Pwingles » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:51 am

I really really want a rattler in better plastic, doesnt have to be Z, X would be fine, although Z would be sick
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby mattw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 am

Roc Lover wrote:I really really want a rattler in better plastic, doesnt have to be Z, X would be fine, although Z would be sick

I would be happy if the current runs werent as hard as bricks. I started grabbing a bunch of the older stamped D Rattlers becouse I like the way the plastic feels over the current runs.
Last edited by mattw on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Flipflat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:21 pm

BrotherDave wrote:
Mike C wrote:Have a 100g polecat coming in the mail. Will record me playing a 9 hole course with just this disc when it comes in :lol:

I played UNC today with primarily a Polecat and a Z Putt'R and actually did better than I thought I would. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Condor and just going with a Condor and a Polecat for the rest of the Winter. I can't figure out if I want a heavy or light Condor, and I'm tempted to try out a Zephyr and Rattler for shits and giggles as well.

Want a Rattler? I got a new, blue firm @168g for $9 shipped.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby JR » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:35 am

BrotherDave wrote:

Heavy Zephyr is great if the tall grip ain't an issue. I don't have the hand size and the finger length for it with a power grip but fan grip works.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Flipflat wrote:Want a Rattler? I got a new, blue firm @168g for $9 shipped.

No thank you, I have a thing against blue discs.

JR wrote:Heavy Zephyr is great if the tall grip ain't an issue. I don't have the hand size and the finger length for it with a power grip but fan grip works.

Ooh, probably would be, I have short fingers. I don't even like how deep Birdies and Gophers are.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby JR » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:48 am

The Zephyr is way bulkier in every dimension than the Birdie so a grip change or dropping the idea of getting one is in order at least for the short term until you ahem come grips with large discs :-) Polecat DX ain't gonna fly like new long but would be way easier to throw and less HSS but for shorter approaches it should be good even when worn. And the grip is way way friendlier than the Zephyr. I have no idea about R-Pro Polecats.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:21 pm

I played catch before League today with a pair of Putt'rs.

It was calm air and they flew great, like broken in Rattlers, dead nuts stable at slow speeds. I may have to give them some more air time. The rim is so different than other putters that it takes some getting used to but it felt natural today.

This winter I have experimented with using backup discs for warm up before rounds. I know my tournament bag pretty well so my warm up is for my body to get ready, not to figure out how my discs fly in the conditions. If I use my primary discs in warm up then they get cold and wet from the snow. It is nice to start the round with clean, dry, grippy discs.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment