Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Spike » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:31 am

Apart from fastbacks and Ultimate/S.C.-lids, which of the smaller lids would you use for shots within 200 ft from the basket? (let’s say... a fairly open shot in calm wind or no wind)
Spike
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Sweden
Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby jubuttib » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:43 am

Anyone know if the Aerobie Superdisc or Superdisc Ultra are legal for Super Class? I haven't any success with Google.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Spike » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:10 am

Jsw wrote:Woah, how did I miss this thread until now?

The Rattler is the most exciting thing to happen to my bag since the Roc. I've only had it in my bag for about 15 rounds and its really helped my game from about 150 and in.

I've canned two or three huge upshot/putts(60-70 footers). Now I know from 60' out - most pros are running a putter at the basket from like a jump putt stance. But for me, I'm just trying to park the disc under the basket - or maybe have a run at it without trying to fly too far past it and leave myself a long come-back.

But with a Rattler, I can run at the basket and know its going to just sit down within 10 or 15 feet even if I miss it. Upon rereading this, I'm basically just rehashing everything that Mark Ellis said in his "long putts" clinic. :lol:

But its all so true, If you don't have the game to make 100' jump putts without leaving yourself long come-backs most of the time. You should really give the Rattler a try, because once you learn how to snap it properly - you will be two-putting every time, and every couple rounds you're going to bang a big one and it just feels Oh so sweet 8)


I saw the ”long putt clinic” by Mr Rattler, M.Ellis, a while ago. I would like to try a Rattler but think the sharp under-side of the rim will cause bad or uncomfortable releases. That’s why I went with Putt’r instead. It has a much wider under-side. Unfortunately it gets squirrelly quite soon. I haven’t found “my” lid yet and it bothers me.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Sweden
Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Dag » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:22 am

jubuttib wrote:Anyone know if the Aerobie Superdisc or Superdisc Ultra are legal for Super Class? I haven't any success with Google.


Those look like fun though I've not seen one first hand. Neither one is PDGA approved and the Ultra likely exceeds the maximum disc diameter of 30 cm.

The list of approved Super Class discs can be found here.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 am
Favorite Disc: Discworld

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby marmoset » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:37 am

Spike wrote:Putt'r...Unfortunately it gets squirrelly quite soon.

They make Z Putt'rs.
Slow speed + thick rim + super blunt nose + designed for finesse shots + Z plastic= indestructable
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers
User avatar
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am
Location: 24073

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Spike » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:18 am

marmoset wrote:
Spike wrote:Putt'r...Unfortunately it gets squirrelly quite soon.

They make Z Putt'rs.
Slow speed + thick rim + super blunt nose + designed for finesse shots + Z plastic= indestructable

I think they have been taken out of production, but I've seen them at stores, so I might grab some before they're gone.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Sweden
Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Hurricane » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:09 pm

My home course is very short so i decided to buy a Birdie today. I tested it and it was perfect on approach shots.
I was surprised how stable it was. Now it is in the bag.
Hurricane
Noob
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 am
Location: Finland

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby marmoset » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:30 pm

Spike wrote:
marmoset wrote:
Spike wrote:Putt'r...Unfortunately it gets squirrelly quite soon.

They make Z Putt'rs.
Slow speed + thick rim + super blunt nose + designed for finesse shots + Z plastic= indestructable

I think they have been taken out of production, but I've seen them at stores, so I might grab some before they're gone.

Yeah, I know they're OOP. I usually avoid OOPs like the plague but the Putt'r is a different animal. It won't go too far so you should rarely lose sight of it and in Z plastic it should last forever. This is one OOP I'd actually consider carrying.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers
User avatar
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am
Location: 24073

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Spike » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:09 am

Same here, there are discs that I really like, but don’t get because of OOP. Z Storm is one of them. But as you say, it’s a different thing with such a slow disc as Putt'r, it won’t get out of sight.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Sweden
Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Spike » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:12 am

Hurricane wrote:My home course is very short so i decided to buy a Birdie today. I tested it and it was perfect on approach shots.
I was surprised how stable it was. Now it is in the bag.


I’ve realized the same stability-thing, but with other lid-rimmed discs (even with huge S.C lids like Super Nova). Many of these are much more stable than I thought, and have come to the very subjective conclusion that people tend to mix up stability with wind sensitivity. A Super Nova is very wind sensitive. But that’s not so much a stability issue as it is a sail-effect. Even Drones can get some unwanted airtime if you throw them too high in the winds. I used to putt with overstable discs in the winds because I thought it was the best, but discovered that my grip-line Spikes was just as good - low profile and definitely stable enough to stand against headwinds at putts. It’s when you rip it hard at drives that it will turn, not so much during putts. So, I’m not surprised that you found the Birdie to be stable at approach shots, and it might not be all that bad in winds either.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Sweden
Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Jsw » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:26 am

Spike wrote:
Jsw wrote:Woah, how did I miss this thread until now?

The Rattler is the most exciting thing to happen to my bag since the Roc. I've only had it in my bag for about 15 rounds and its really helped my game from about 150 and in.

I've canned two or three huge upshot/putts(60-70 footers). Now I know from 60' out - most pros are running a putter at the basket from like a jump putt stance. But for me, I'm just trying to park the disc under the basket - or maybe have a run at it without trying to fly too far past it and leave myself a long come-back.

But with a Rattler, I can run at the basket and know its going to just sit down within 10 or 15 feet even if I miss it. Upon rereading this, I'm basically just rehashing everything that Mark Ellis said in his "long putts" clinic. :lol:

But its all so true, If you don't have the game to make 100' jump putts without leaving yourself long come-backs most of the time. You should really give the Rattler a try, because once you learn how to snap it properly - you will be two-putting every time, and every couple rounds you're going to bang a big one and it just feels Oh so sweet 8)


I saw the ”long putt clinic” by Mr Rattler, M.Ellis, a while ago. I would like to try a Rattler but think the sharp under-side of the rim will cause bad or uncomfortable releases. That’s why I went with Putt’r instead. It has a much wider under-side. Unfortunately it gets squirrelly quite soon. I haven’t found “my” lid yet and it bothers me.


I'm not sure what you mean by sharp? There are no sharp edges on a Rattler at all. It *IS* different feeling then any other disc in the bag(being so lid-like :wink: ) so it does represent a unique grip challenge. I was worried about this but if you do a little field work you should have no problem transitioning on the fly during a round between conventional discs and the Rattler.

So basically = The Rattler may feel a bit awkward at first but I don't think you would find it uncomfortable or painful to throw. Give it try.
Image
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:35 pm
Location: Mid Atlantic
Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Coldpunk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:38 pm

The rattler is an amazingly useful get out of trouble disc. It requires very little snap to get it going and can be a lifesaver when your in a situation where you really need to run at a basket but your lie doesn't give you enough room
for your usual throwing motion. I've found the best grip for throwing the lids I've tried(whitler, rattler, and pirahna) to be a modified fan grip.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 pm
Location: In a cave
Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:42 am

I was wowing some folks @ the beach over the weekend throwing MTA shots with my whittler. There was a slight headwind coming off the ocean, I was blasting flat nose up shots way out that would come screaming back every time. I threw some for them to try and catch but they were afraid to step in front.

BTW my 186g te moko was owning the wind during our catch sessions and is sneaky long. If I were going to carry a superclass / lid type disc in my golf bag it would likely be the te moko, try one out, they are badass.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2585
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Charm City
Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Spike » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 am

Ok I have a question for you Rattler-lovers...

Which of the Pro D versions is better do you think, and why? At the stores there seem to be an overlap at the moment, where both the old and new Pro D plastics are available (I'm not interested in any other than the regularly produced runs, no odd runs for me)

I WANT to love Rattler too :wink:
Spike
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 am
Location: Sweden
Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Personally, I find that they fly pretty similar.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Favorite Disc: Teebird

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest