Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Coldpunk » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:33 pm

marmoset wrote:What are Whitlers like? Are they more lid than golf disc?
After hearing the way people talk about them I would assume they are definitely more lid-like.

Definitely more lid than golf disc. It's more of a pdga approved beach frisbee really. They're ridiculously fun to throw. I play catch with it all the time. Before I settled on the rattler for my get out of poo/run at a basket without worrying about blow by disc, I carried the whittler for a month. It's super deep and hard to keep in your bag conviently, aka it's larger diameter than everything so discs keep ending up stuck inside and it's a super snug fit in my revo pro bag putter pocket. It requires even less snap to get going than the rattler and can make some unbeliveable shots possible. The plastic it's made out of is nearly indestructible too. It may be the one disc slower than a comet.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby marmoset » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Working Stiff wrote:lotsa smart words...

As always, thanks.
I really appreciate your knowledge.
Anytime you feel depressed just imagine me giving you a great big ol' hug.
A very manly hug, but a hug nonetheless.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Coldpunk wrote:Definitely more lid than golf disc. It's more of a pdga approved beach frisbee really. They're ridiculously fun to throw. I play catch with it all the time. Before I settled on the rattler for my get out of poo/run at a basket without worrying about blow by disc, I carried the whittler for a month. It's super deep and hard to keep in your bag conviently, aka it's larger diameter than everything so discs keep ending up stuck inside and it's a super snug fit in my revo pro bag putter pocket. It requires even less snap to get going than the rattler and can make some unbeliveable shots possible. The plastic it's made out of is nearly indestructible too. It may be the one disc slower than a comet.

You make it sound so luscious!
Hey Coldpunk, guess what my next DGC order is gonna be?!?
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 pm

marmoset wrote:
Coldpunk wrote:Definitely more lid than golf disc. It's more of a pdga approved beach frisbee really. They're ridiculously fun to throw. I play catch with it all the time. Before I settled on the rattler for my get out of poo/run at a basket without worrying about blow by disc, I carried the whittler for a month. It's super deep and hard to keep in your bag conviently, aka it's larger diameter than everything so discs keep ending up stuck inside and it's a super snug fit in my revo pro bag putter pocket. It requires even less snap to get going than the rattler and can make some unbeliveable shots possible. The plastic it's made out of is nearly indestructible too. It may be the one disc slower than a comet.

You make it sound so luscious!
Hey Coldpunk, guess what my next DGC order is gonna be?!?

I've got an extra whitler I would trade, I really don't need two.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:51 pm

marmoset wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:lotsa smart words...

As always, thanks.
I really appreciate your knowledge.
Anytime you feel depressed just imagine me giving you a great big ol' hug.
A very manly hug, but a hug nonetheless.
Thanks. I almost forgive you for your role in making me decide to throw Comets. Almost.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Ode » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:37 am

wheres the super puppy love at. and i can throw an ultrastar in the field playing catch really far, but when i go to throw off a tee it really sucks. alot of holes at my home course have ceilings though which really limits my distance with superclass discs.

ive been carrying a super puppy for a while now and i really like it for upshots, but recently ive been moving more towards a spin airbounce putter approach/run that i really want to practice and the superpuppy has been staying in the bag.
Ode
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:37 am

Spike wrote:Ok I have a question for you Rattler-lovers...

Which of the Pro D versions is better do you think, and why? At the stores there seem to be an overlap at the moment, where both the old and new Pro D plastics are available (I'm not interested in any other than the regularly produced runs, no odd runs for me)

I WANT to love Rattler too :wink:

My new light blue rubbery Rattler is the bombdiggity!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby marmoset » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I've got an extra whitler I would trade, I really don't need two.

What would you want?
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:06 am

Frank Delicious wrote:
I've got an extra whitler I would trade, I really don't need two.

I haz three. You never know when you'll need a quiver of whitlers.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Spike » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:47 pm

JR wrote:
Spike wrote:Ok I have a question for you Rattler-lovers...

Which of the Pro D versions is better do you think, and why? At the stores there seem to be an overlap at the moment, where both the old and new Pro D plastics are available (I'm not interested in any other than the regularly produced runs, no odd runs for me)

I WANT to love Rattler too :wink:

My new light blue rubbery Rattler is the bombdiggity!

Thanks. I'm glad you didn't recommend the purple one (if there is a purple rattler). I can't play with purple discs. Light blue = perfect.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat May 01, 2010 8:51 pm

"hey you got any rattlers" - me

"No" disc seller says and laughs, "I do have some 150 polecats if you want those. I'll sell them for $5 a piece."

"I'll take them" - me

:shock: - disc seller.

They are actually pretty fun to throw and much more stable than I expected them to be. I canned a 120 footer with them just messing around from different distances.
Frank Delicious

Postby marmoset » Sat May 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Everybody laughs when I tell them 150 Polecats are my primary putter.
IMO Polecats lose a lot of their lid-ness in the heaviest weights.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat May 01, 2010 9:49 pm

There is a guy around here who tears it up with polecats.

Also Mr. Ellis, if you read this, what are some characteristics I need to look for in a good rattler?
Frank Delicious

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat May 01, 2010 10:33 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:There is a guy around here who tears it up with polecats.

Also Mr. Ellis, if you read this, what are some characteristics I need to look for in a good rattler?

The same as with any putter. The first issue is what feels good in your hand. The second issue is not all that important.

I don't expect much variance within a single putter mold. So a Big Bead Aviar is going to be pretty close to other Big Bead Aviars and whatever differences in flight there are can be learned and adapted to. Most Rattlers will fly darn close to other Rattlers.

I prefer putters which are flat topped and will break in to be slightly concave. I prefer putters in medium stiffness. Putters which are too soft get floppy and feel like they have no backbone (well, actually none of them have a backbone but there is a type of structural rigidity which is lost when they get too soft). Putters which are too hard are often too slippery, especially in wet and/or cold conditions. But those are just my personal preferences. I know fine players who use gummy 86 molds to putt with and I doubt I could ever get comfortable with those.

A Rattler is a floating disc (in the air, not the water). I think it floats better a few grams off max weight so I look for them around 170 grams. But I would rather have a Rattler in any weight they make them than an overstable putter (Challenger, Aviar, Wizard, whatever) for a touch upshot.

The most recent run, the ones on the factory shelves right now, came out in white, orange and blue. Each color was purposely tweaked to make slightly different plastic compositions. The orange came out just a bit domey and slippery for my taste (but I liked the color best). The white were flatter and grippier but I avoid white discs. I don't want to change my bag for weather conditions and you never know when you are going to fall in love with a disc and be tempted to use it in snow. The blue are perfect.

I think the current blues are right up there with the first runs as the best Rattlers ever made.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby marmoset » Sun May 02, 2010 6:20 am

Frank Delicious wrote:"hey you got any rattlers" - me

"No" disc seller says and laughs, "I do have some 150 polecats if you want those. I'll sell them for $5 a piece."

"I'll take them" - me

:shock: - disc seller.

They are actually pretty fun to throw and much more stable than I expected them to be. I canned a 120 footer with them just messing around from different distances.

Does he have any more?
marmoset
King of Calipers

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment