Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun May 02, 2010 10:39 am

marmoset wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:"hey you got any rattlers" - me

"No" disc seller says and laughs, "I do have some 150 polecats if you want those. I'll sell them for $5 a piece."

"I'll take them" - me

:shock: - disc seller.

They are actually pretty fun to throw and much more stable than I expected them to be. I canned a 120 footer with them just messing around from different distances.

Does he have any more?

I think he has another 150 left and a couple of heavier ones that are in the 160s.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Sun May 02, 2010 2:26 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:I think the current blues are right up there with the first runs as the best Rattlers ever made.

And for overall DG usage the best lid like disc available if it's the blue tacky rubbery surface medium to three quarters stiff stiffness. it can take mild wind drives to 200' consistently and if one has superb finesse and repeatability in form 250' is believable because with practice I've had spells of getting ok results on good days. For all round I'd limit it to 200' and under unless there's a lot of rear wind. That helps in throwing farther repeatably.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon May 03, 2010 6:13 pm

I just got a champ birdie and it is pretty great. Good glide, fairly stable, made out of gummy opaque plastic, it is really fun to throw.
Frank Delicious

Postby Jsw » Mon May 03, 2010 6:31 pm

Just spent about 25 minutes playing ''catch'' with the old man - using the light blue tacky-rattler 8) On my last throw I threw a 125 footer at the practice basket for shits and giggles and it skimmed just off the top. I love this lid 8)
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Spike » Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 am

marmoset wrote:Everybody laughs when I tell them 150 Polecats are my primary putter.
IMO Polecats lose a lot of their lid-ness in the heaviest weights.

Agreed. I tried a 172g Polecat today. It didn't hold up very well at low speeds, and got some unexpected fade. Not much, but still not really the kind of flight I was looking for. Might try a lighter one.

Does anyone know if Polecats have the same type of plastic at all weights. On some images of light-weight Polecats, the plastic looks more shiny, glossy.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby marmoset » Tue May 04, 2010 12:35 pm

All of the 150s I have are the same plastic as the 170 I have.
I have seen some really old, R-Pro feelin' Polecats from... ummmm... 1998 or 1999? Somewhere back there. Their flightplates were really flexible.
But all the newest ones I have are identical.

I have 2 more coming in the mail so I'll see how those feel when they get here- maybe Thursday.

EDGE Polecats are completely different plastic, though. They are the shiny, glossy stuff you mentioned. They also weigh around 110 grams. 150 and up should be standard DX with the usual slight variations.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 04, 2010 12:45 pm

I was going to get a Polecat in the same order as my new run D-P2, but now it seems that Discmania only has 173-175g Polecats available, which is very sucky. How heavy do they have to be to lose their lid-likeness? Are the 150s completely different from the high 160s for example?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby marmoset » Tue May 04, 2010 1:50 pm

jubuttib wrote:...How heavy do they have to be to lose their lid-likeness? Are the 150s completely different from the high 160s for example?

Don't know. I have 150s and a 170. My 170 is not very lid-like. My 150s are more liddish than the 170.

Like I was describing before, there are
#1: discs that feel like lids but perform more like golf discs (I'd put the Birdie here)
#2: discs that feel like lids and perform like lids (Ultrastar, Fastback, etc.)
#3: discs that feel like golf discs and perform like lids (X or ESP Comets, completely thrashed Rocs)

Polcats IMO straddle #s 1 and 2. The heavier the Polecat is, the closer to #1 it gets. The lighter it is the more I'd say it fits into group #2. My 110 gram EDGE Polecat is firmly in group #2. This is the shiny Polecat that you were describing.

Heavier Polecats are best used by people who want a putter that grips like a lid and goes really straight for about 150-200' if you have decent form. I don't find them terribly different from other putters except they are much slower and slow down faster.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Spike » Tue May 04, 2010 2:20 pm

marmoset wrote:EDGE Polecats are completely different plastic, though. They are the shiny, glossy stuff you mentioned. They also weigh around 110 grams. 150 and up should be standard DX with the usual slight variations.
Ok, thanks. It must have been Edge Polecats then.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Guess I'll just wait until they get the 150s again, should be fun to mess around with. Not like I have any money to spend at the moment anyway... =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby marmoset » Tue May 04, 2010 4:18 pm

I just fondled some PCs in PIAS and they are a softer DX blend, maybe a little R-Pro in there. This was the case regardless of weight, they had from 150-175 grams. The Polecats I own are kind of soft in the flightplate but firm in the rim... overall a little frimer than the run that my PIAS just got.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Has anyone tried one of the r-pro polecats?
Frank Delicious

Postby marmoset » Tue May 04, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm kind of interested in them. Haven't gotten to throw them but I imagine their better grip being a big boon for finesse throwers. I hope they come out stiffish like the latest JKs... but I'm not getting my hopes up.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 04, 2010 7:50 pm

I almost aced with my champ birdie tonight. That thing just goes straight forever.
Frank Delicious

Postby Yehosha » Tue May 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Jsw wrote:Just spent about 25 minutes playing ''catch'' with the old man - using the light blue tacky-rattler 8) On my last throw I threw a 125 footer at the practice basket for shits and giggles and it skimmed just off the top. I love this lid 8)

That same disc was in the bag I won at an Ace Race last year, and after reading this thread I decided to pull it off my trade list ad put it to use. I took it out to my family bbq tonight and me and my nieces and nephews had a blast tossing it around. I was amazed at how staright that thing flies.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment