Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Fuse

Postby Jeronimo » Wed May 19, 2010 11:36 am

Ryan C wrote:It isn't the color. The weight actually might affect stability.

The color=stability thing is one of the biggest DG myths.

The only thing that you might be able to tell by color is that all the pink ones from the first run cooled differently from the blues or whatever. This might happen if the room they were made in just happened to be cooler. I work in a plastic injection molding shop, and even things like leaving a bay door open to the outside air can affect the way a plastic part cools. The color itself is not going to change the way it flies.


You may want to tell Westside Discs and Latitude 64 about that then... If I recall correctly they refrained from running the Northman in certain colors because they were concerned what the additive would do to the stability of the disc.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Fuse

Postby Ryan C » Wed May 19, 2010 11:52 am

Jeronimo wrote:
Ryan C wrote:It isn't the color. The weight actually might affect stability.

The color=stability thing is one of the biggest DG myths.

The only thing that you might be able to tell by color is that all the pink ones from the first run cooled differently from the blues or whatever. This might happen if the room they were made in just happened to be cooler. I work in a plastic injection molding shop, and even things like leaving a bay door open to the outside air can affect the way a plastic part cools. The color itself is not going to change the way it flies.


You may want to tell Westside Discs and Latitude 64 about that then... If I recall correctly they refrained from running the Northman in certain colors because they were concerned what the additive would do to the stability of the disc.


If the "additive" is something other than just pure color then its possible it could change the consistency of the plastic, which could then change the way the disc cooled....If its just color, its all the same stuff.

I'm not here to be an arrogant ass, unwilling to admit that I don't know. It is possible they are using some other color additives. I know that in Urethane blends, like Opto plastic, weighting agents are sometimes used.... All of this COULD affect the plastic to some serious extent.

I will say this... When you run different colors of parts, you will almost always run the lightest colors first. For example, if you ran black, and then ran white afterwards, you would lose like 150 shots (discs) before you were making pure white parts. I would assume that the disc makers are following this basic strategy. If that was the case, the mold might be cooler when they were running the first colors. That could make it possible that lighter colors would tend to be more stable, because I would assume that a more quickly cooled part would result in a higher parting line. This is all based on my own plastic experience.

Again though, this isn't the color itself that's changing the stability. I don't know what kind of color they would using that would be chemically different from other colors. Where I work we tend to only use about 5 colors, but all of these are totally interchangeable and effectively chemically identical. As are all plastic colorants that I'm aware of.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: Bremerton, WA
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Fuse

Postby discspeed » Wed May 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Nice thread drift...yeah, injection molding discs, very complicated, many variables, correlation is not causation, no one has it figured out, maybe someday, etc, etc, etc...

Anyway, back to the Fuse. Now I've abandoned the Opto and I was throwing 3 identical GLs today. These discs have incredible glide! When I first heard about the Buzzz SS and my imagination was free to idealize the best possible outcome, I imagined the Fuse. It is an absolutely perfect compliment to the Buzzz.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Fuse

Postby Jeronimo » Wed May 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Ryan C wrote:I'm not here to be an arrogant ass, unwilling to admit that I don't know.


It was never my intention to paint you in that light.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Fuse

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 pm

The Fuse is magical in flight. I've never seen a disc hold an anhyzer angle like that, and especially fly so SLOW. It's pretty unbelievable.

turso just got two "orange" GLs to compliment his 2 optos, we'll see what they do in a day or two.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Fuse

Postby NoLifeLeft » Wed May 19, 2010 3:58 pm

jubuttib wrote:I've never seen a disc hold an anhyzer angle like that, and especially fly so SLOW. It's pretty unbelievable.

Never thrown a Comet, I take it? :wink:
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Winchester, VA
Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Re: Fuse

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 19, 2010 4:04 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:
jubuttib wrote:I've never seen a disc hold an anhyzer angle like that, and especially fly so SLOW. It's pretty unbelievable.

Never thrown a Comet, I take it? :wink:

No, never have. I should have said "other than a lid" of course, and from what everyone's been saying the Comet flies pretty much just like a lid.

I'm getting a Comet when I get around to building my Discraft bag, first I just need to finish my Discmania bag and start a Latitude bag. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Fuse

Postby turso » Thu May 20, 2010 2:51 am

Okay, got my GL Fuses yesterday and got to test drive the 174g orange one, and with premilinary examinations it actually seems to be more overstable than my 174g pink opto is, and has slightly more fade. Have to do more research later today when I get the chance to go on a proper field to throw em both.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.


NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Finland, Kuopio
Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Re: Fuse

Postby jubuttib » Thu May 20, 2010 2:54 am

That we must. That GL Fuse seemed to have magical target seeking properties.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Fuse

Postby Booter » Thu May 20, 2010 7:47 am

welp. oi broke down and bought a fuse. Should be comin in sometime early next week. Lets see if it'll actually stay in the bag.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!
User avatar
 
Posts: 4361
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: plaztek bins!
Favorite Disc: square ones

Re: Fuse

Postby Risk » Thu May 20, 2010 7:53 am

This disc is the shit and it warrants all the hype it’s been getting. It holds the most perfect slow anhyzer turn I’ve ever seen and the glide on this thing is crazy. It may just bump out the Cyclone and a beat Buzzz from my bag because it’s useable on a much greater range of distances without the unpredictability of the Buzzz. I’m still in the honeymoon phase but this sucker has serious game changing potential for me.
Force - Z Nuke - Predator - Stalker - Buzzz - Fuse -Zone - Focus
Risk
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:57 am
Location: Chicago's Western Burbs
Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: Fuse

Postby victorb » Thu May 20, 2010 7:56 am

I still stand by my evaluation that the Fuse is the next generation Comet.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Columbia, MO
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Fuse

Postby discspeed » Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 am

Risk wrote:... without the unpredictability of the Buzzz.


The Fuse is in my bag and I think its great...but its not as predictable as the Buzzz. The Buzzz is perhaps my most predictable disc. I've been throwing it so long that I can tell you exactly what I did wrong if I don't put it withing 5' of my target. By nature, the Fuse is less stable and has more glide. Due to this, small changes on the part of the user can translate into drastically different flights, thus making it less predictable.

I see discs on a spectrum that has predictability at one end and precision in the other. Very predictable discs are ones that have such strong flight tendencies that they fly the same regardless of operator. Precision discs are ones that behave very differently based on nuances of the operator's throw. Both are important and have equal merit.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Fuse

Postby Risk » Thu May 20, 2010 9:50 am

discspeed wrote:
Risk wrote:... without the unpredictability of the Buzzz.


The Fuse is in my bag and I think its great...but its not as predictable as the Buzzz. The Buzzz is perhaps my most predictable disc. I've been throwing it so long that I can tell you exactly what I did wrong if I don't put it withing 5' of my target. By nature, the Fuse is less stable and has more glide. Due to this, small changes on the part of the user can translate into drastically different flights, thus making it less predictable.

I see discs on a spectrum that has predictability at one end and precision in the other. Very predictable discs are ones that have such strong flight tendencies that they fly the same regardless of operator. Precision discs are ones that behave very differently based on nuances of the operator's throw. Both are important and have equal merit.


Sorry I ment the Buzzz was unpredictable on anhyzer lines for me and I love them for straight shots and slight hyzers.
Force - Z Nuke - Predator - Stalker - Buzzz - Fuse -Zone - Focus
Risk
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:57 am
Location: Chicago's Western Burbs
Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: Fuse

Postby discspeed » Thu May 20, 2010 9:52 am

Risk wrote:
discspeed wrote:
Risk wrote:... without the unpredictability of the Buzzz.


The Fuse is in my bag and I think its great...but its not as predictable as the Buzzz. The Buzzz is perhaps my most predictable disc. I've been throwing it so long that I can tell you exactly what I did wrong if I don't put it withing 5' of my target. By nature, the Fuse is less stable and has more glide. Due to this, small changes on the part of the user can translate into drastically different flights, thus making it less predictable.

I see discs on a spectrum that has predictability at one end and precision in the other. Very predictable discs are ones that have such strong flight tendencies that they fly the same regardless of operator. Precision discs are ones that behave very differently based on nuances of the operator's throw. Both are important and have equal merit.


Sorry I ment the Buzzz was unpredictable on anhyzer lines for me and I love them for straight shots and slight hyzers.


Oh, in that case I completely agree! :lol:
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest