Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Fuse

Postby discspeed » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:23 am

Der Alte wrote:I have a couple of GL Fuses and at the moment I totally hate those! I have no slightest idea how to throw these to get them fly as they should be?! The normal fly pattern is straight about 200' and then Fuse starts to turn very hard to right and crashes and burns. Every single time so I'm pretty frustrated. I can throw my Ions and Jokeri about 260'-280' and ProD and Z Buzzz about 290'-300'. Please give me an advice what I should do? Throw a nice finesse shot, yank really hard or melt these Fuses together with some other discs that I don't like.

I was thinking at first that you had some OAT or some other clean release issue, but since you throw putters that doesn't make sense. GL Fuses are understable, so back off or add some hyzer. If you want something that handles a flat throw better try an OPTO Fuse. The couple (orange and yellow) I've thrown have been about .5 more HSS than my GLs.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Reives.J » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:35 am

discspeed wrote:
Der Alte wrote:I have a couple of GL Fuses and at the moment I totally hate those! I have no slightest idea how to throw these to get them fly as they should be?! The normal fly pattern is straight about 200' and then Fuse starts to turn very hard to right and crashes and burns. Every single time so I'm pretty frustrated. I can throw my Ions and Jokeri about 260'-280' and ProD and Z Buzzz about 290'-300'. Please give me an advice what I should do? Throw a nice finesse shot, yank really hard or melt these Fuses together with some other discs that I don't like.

I was thinking at first that you had some OAT or some other clean release issue, but since you throw putters that doesn't make sense. GL Fuses are understable, so back off or add some hyzer. If you want something that handles a flat throw better try an OPTO Fuse. The couple (orange and yellow) I've thrown have been about .5 more HSS than my GLs.

I have noticed the same thing with my fuses. I prefer to GL for how i like to throw them. A smooth throw with some decent spin and you can get a nearly effortless straight shot out to about 280-300. Thrown with a little more power behind it i can get them to track right most of the way for a very smooth turnover. I also noticed the Opto's to be a tic more stable and you can lay into them a little more and keep them straight, I just prefer to GL. However if i throw them like i throw my Rocs or Buzzzs they to tend to turn and burn on occasion.
Ion | Rhyno | Comet | Vector | Gazelle | PD | Predator
Reives.J
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 am

Over the last year my Fuses have gradually claimed a good percentage of my midrange throws. For me it flies like a longer Ion. In fact, in my last conversation with Chad from MVP I pleaded with him to examine the Fuse a bit when designing MVP's straight/understable mid. Imagine a more gyroscopic Fuse...

Anyway, since I got my Vectors I've taken my Buzzzes out of the bag. They don't overlap at all, but I kind of wanted to see what I could do if I expanded the role of the Fuse while working as many lines as I could with my Vectors at the same time. This would be difficult with the Buzzz gobbling up all my midrange duties. Odds are still in favor of the Buzzz's return, but only time will tell. To do this I had to pick up an Opto Fuse to be a more stable compliment to my broken in GL. It is the disc that brought to mind the comparison to the Ion. Like the Ion it really wants to fly straight...At medium to high speeds the fade is minimal to non-existent. On a flat throw it only turns with well over 300' of power, yet it will hold a very slight anhyzer angle with minimal resistance.
discspeed

Postby Ryan C » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:00 pm

I have an Opto Fuse that I bought right when they first came out, and it hasn't left the bag since. It started out as a very straight disc that would hold a beautiful anhyzer, but it is now truly understable on any throw over 175'. It is probably my favorite an most trusted disc in the bag, which is strange, for an understable disc. The Fuse just never gets squirrelly. I added another Opto to the bag, which I'm happy to say is exactly like my first one was when new. I really can't imagine a disc that will kick it out.

If MVP made a more gyroscopic Fuse, I'd definitely be interested. But I wonder if part of what makes the Fuse so good is that it just has that magic amount of LSS, allowing it to fight to stay in the air, and glide out a long way. Would gyroscopics make it less LSS, like it has with the Ion? Would this make it not glide out as well as the Fuse?

I really don't know the answer, but its just possible that there are some shots that simply work better, believe it or not, with a less gyroscopic disc. I claim no expertise on anything, however.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby emiller3 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Ryan C wrote:But I wonder if part of what makes the Fuse so good is that it just has that magic amount of LSS

The Fuse is magical, so yes, that's what makes it great.

I'm still loving my Fuses. All of my GLs started out very, very straight. I could count on them not turning unless I really put something on it and got the nose down. It was tough to give up those effortless anny and turnover shots with the Meteor that I've been without since the Fuse came out and I made the switch. But I really gained some skills in the process, and it's definitely paying dividends in the shot-shaping department.

That said, my oldest and lightest GL in the bag has finally become a touch anny/turnover disc and I'm glad to have that slot back in the bag. I've got one more max weight GL to beat in and then I'll probably follow it up with some Opto's.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby rooneytunes » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:39 pm

The other day I stepped up to a pretty narrow 250 hole while some guys were putting out. They gave me the go ahead to just drive on them. I put my 165 gl fuse on a slight turn that turned right maybe a total of 6 or 7 feet the whole way down the fairway to be sitting 10ft from the basket. After I saw it down, I turned picked up my bag and a few of the guys who waved me past were standing over my fuse trying to figure out what it was. I had a good laugh to myself over that one. I don't always have great command over the fuse, but when I do, I feel like it is on remote control.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby JR » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 pm

I seem to like Opto flight way more than recent GL flight. This was very evident in the River and thinking i dislike the flipping amount and cleanliness needs of a GL Fuse combined with the too hard fade just like with GL Rivers and Flows i thought to try this out in Opto too. Fuse is no wind disc and we had heavy winds today. Despite that i think i was using a degree or two less initial hyzer to flip to flat with the Opto than with the GL. Obviously i need to do a shootout but Z Comet or even an X thrown in way colder weather during winter needed three or more times less initial hyzer to flip to flat. And i was trying to throw harder with the Comets.

Opto is clearly superior in flight to GL for my preferences but it remains to be seen how much better it will be once the winds die down. I doubt i'll use it for more than trick shots anyway thanks to X Buzzz.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby aDave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:02 pm

Holy crap blue gl fuse!
I don't know the weight,(it's not marked and I have no scales) but man what a disc.
High power with a little height: filp to anny to ground. low-med power: slow right turn when thrown flat, or hyzer flip to flat, slow right and back again.
It sort of flies like a more peaceful, shorter sidewinder for me.
My usable range on it today was right around 250-280. I cranked it out to 300 a few times but totally without control.
And it certainly has the glide.
From what I thought I understood from reading this thread, this is standard flight for lighter weights?
I was hoping for something a little more comet-y but I like what I got for sure. It flies nothing like my z Comet. I can't flip it past flat and it NEVER flexes out of annies.
I love the plastic too. I was throwing in wet grass this morning and I had no grip issues to speak of.
After two rounds it's kicked out the Meteor, which I love but I think that it can do more.
We'll see how it ages, but I've never been this impressed with a disc on the first day.
Is every disc they make this good? Do you think I should grab an opto?
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:17 pm

I've recently converted to the Opto Fuse over my GL...My GL was just getting too flippy to throw for a lot of shots. Anyway, my Opto Fuse rocks, and I've been using it pretty exclusively alongside my Vector. It is an incredibly versatile disc. So far I've figured out how to make it hold a straight line in a headwind (hyzer and nose down), fly on any line within 300', and even glide for really long shots. After using it really well one round I came up to a 390' hole and bet my playing partners that I could throw it past the basket. I bombed a high shot that drifted right just a bit and then dropped straight down at the basket. It landed in the shadow of the basket, 2' past...I won my bet :lol: . Anyway, when I busted that throw I threw the Fuse EXACTLY like I used to throw my Z Comet, which went the same distance. BTW, I haven't been throwing my Buzzz at all...I just like how the Opto Fuse and Vector pair together speed and glidewise. Now that I can work the Fuse in the wind a bit, and know how to flex my Vectors more, I am really getting by without a Buzzz...We'll see if it lasts. For me the Opto Fuse is flying just like a longer Ion...Same lines exactly, just with a longer glide and a bit more speed.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Do I sense change of rank in your future?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:57 pm

jubuttib wrote:Do I sense change of rank in your future?

We're not there yet... :wink:
discspeed

Postby Ryan C » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 pm

I actually just wrote something in the Buzzz SS thread very similar to what Discspeed is talking about. I wonder if you might also want to consider putting a Buzzz SS in the mix. They fly a little farther than a Buzzz, and are a bit more stable than Fuse for those days or situations where the Fuse feels just a little bit too flippy. I'm not a Nazi minimalist personally, so I don't mind carrying an extra disc, even if I don't throw it a ton.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Ryan C wrote:I actually just wrote something in the Buzzz SS thread very similar to what Discspeed is talking about. I wonder if you might also want to consider putting a Buzzz SS in the mix. They fly a little farther than a Buzzz, and are a bit more stable than Fuse for those days or situations where the Fuse feels just a little bit too flippy. I'm not a Nazi minimalist personally, so I don't mind carrying an extra disc, even if I don't throw it a ton.

I've really only been throwing 2nd FR Buzzzes, which are a little faster, longer, and straighter than regular Buzzzes...So they are already a lot like the Buzzz SS. I'll probably go back to them, I always have in the past. I just like to experience what I'm missing sometimes...And I'm also often taken in by "glidey" discs, only to go back to my staples when I have to play in some wind. Now that I have the Vector however, it seems like a better option than the Buzzz or Fuse for holding a line in the wind. The only times I still get confused are when the wind is mild to moderate and I'm throwing a straight shot...In these conditions the Vector is still too overstable and the Fuse will have more high speed turn than in calm. I'm doing pretty well at figuring out how to throw both those discs in that situation, but only time will tell if I can do it consistently or whether the Buzzz will be back.

I really like how the Fuse flies slower and floats a lot more than a Buzzz, yet still fights wind and takes armspeed better than a Comet. For example, my Opto Fuse is less HSS and about the same LSS as a Z Comet of the same weight, but is less affected by winds from all sides. It flies high just like the Comet, but glides better on low ceiling shots and can go a lot farther on a low line. Compared to the Buzzz, the Opto Fuse feels more accurate inside 300' because I can throw it slower. I also find that with a little more height it can fly as far or farther than a Buzzz using the same power. It also flies much better on annies than the Buzzz. With just a slight bit of anny out of the hand the Fuse does the rest of the work and flies forward on a sweeping anny to the ground...It only turns over on itself if really torqued.
discspeed

Postby Booter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:10 am

Im loving my fuse still since the day it came out. Though lately I hav been having it NOT turn on my like it usually does. mght have to throw the aced one back in since it was easier to turn
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby DsmDisc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:20 pm

I can't get enough of my fuse. A lot of you say the GL is a straight flyer, but the money shot with a GL is the slowly anny shot. I have yet to find any other disc that can even come close to holding a smooth slow turning anny like the Fuse. If you have a little obstacle or need just that ever-so-gradual anny, you will never find another disc that can do it better.

The one i have is a 180 gold GL. The golden disc only makes golden shots!
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment