Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Fuse

Postby discspeed » Sun May 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Jeronimo wrote:abuse that opto Fuse before you take it out of the bag, it might lose some of that stability. Personally, I think Discspeed is bonkers :mrgreen: cause the difference in the Gold and Opto is minimal to non existant in my eyes. Kind of like wanting to see something so bad you actually start seeing it.

I've only tested one Opto--it is orange, 177, and domey. Anyone intermediate level and up would throw it next to my GLs and notice it is more stable. Like I said in a previous post, its like a -1 difference in stability. The other difference is speed/loft. The dome/Opto plastic causes more lift and a slower speed when compared with the flatter Goldline, which is faster. The speed difference may also make the stability difference seem greater.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jeronimo » Sun May 16, 2010 7:53 pm

discspeed wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:abuse that opto Fuse before you take it out of the bag, it might lose some of that stability. Personally, I think Discspeed is bonkers :mrgreen: cause the difference in the Gold and Opto is minimal to non existant in my eyes. Kind of like wanting to see something so bad you actually start seeing it.

I've only tested one Opto--it is orange, 177, and domey. Anyone intermediate level and up would throw it next to my GLs and notice it is more stable. Like I said in a previous post, its like a -1 difference in stability. The other difference is speed/loft. The dome/Opto plastic causes more lift and a slower speed when compared with the flatter Goldline, which is faster. The speed difference may also make the stability difference seem greater.

I still don't see it. The only perceivable difference i've seen is a minutely greater fade at the end of the flight by the opto compared to the gold. The glide difference, the stability difference... i'm not seeing it. They're pretty much interchangeable in my book.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
discspeed wrote:

I still don't see it. The only perceivable difference i've seen is a minutely greater fade at the end of the flight by the opto compared to the gold. The glide difference, the stability difference... i'm not seeing it. They're pretty much interchangeable in my book.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Jeronimo » Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Jeronimo » Sun May 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Make cracks at me all ya want. Other than the noticeable late flight fade difference they're close enough in my book to call equal. I respectfully disagree with Discspeed. He without a doubt knows what he's talking about but I don't think the difference is as obvious as he's stating. It's interesting too because if Gold = Star plastic and Opto = Champion then the age old rule of star gliding more than champion would have to be untrue for these.

If you throw a Fuse (Gold or Opto) its going to fly straight for a very long time without turning over and show just a smidgen of fade (unless you really air hike it), period.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby discspeed » Mon May 17, 2010 4:41 am

Jeronimo wrote:Make cracks at me all ya want. Other than the noticeable late flight fade difference they're close enough in my book to call equal. I respectfully disagree with Discspeed. He without a doubt knows what he's talking about but I don't think the difference is as obvious as he's stating. It's interesting too because if Gold = Star plastic and Opto = Champion then the age old rule of star gliding more than champion would have to be untrue for these.

If you throw a Fuse (Gold or Opto) its going to fly straight for a very long time without turning over and show just a smidgen of fade (unless you really air hike it), period.

I don't think GL is like Star at all. I think a better comparison would be Opto = Clear Champ, GL = Opaque Champ. Either way, I don't think there is any age old rule of Star gliding better than champ either. I think usually Champ gets more lift and Star is faster, but it also depends on dome, PLH, and all the other usual factors.

The easiest way to tell the difference between the Optos and GLs I have is to throw them hard or throw them flat. Thrown either way my GLs flip and my Optos don't.

Anyway, I agree with your last statement for the most part (as long as you're not throwing hard or flat). Maybe Jesse can do some more red highlighting and make my post seem meaner. :lol:
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 am

Do your Golds show any wear physically on the disc? Like scratches, dents, etc...?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby what'shisname » Mon May 17, 2010 9:24 am

Jeronimo wrote:Do your Golds show any wear physically on the disc? Like scratches, dents, etc...?

I can't speak for the GL Fuse since mine won't get here till later this week, but I have a GL Core that has a small scuff on the rim. I was messing around in a huge head wind with some massive hyzer, but it flipped up and ovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeerrr and then started going back with the wind picking up speed the whole way. It went way left over the fence and by the time it hit the road the thing was going warp speed. The scuff is tiny and I can't believe there's not more damage on it.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby turso » Mon May 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Damn, such a fine disc the opto one, had to order 2 gold lines as well. Even if they'll end up to be identical with the optos at least they'll look sweeeet, bye bye cash, I'll be eating macaroni for rest of the month... :P
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby victorb » Tue May 18, 2010 8:03 am

So basically this is more of a speed oriented disc than a comet? I hear lots of comparisons to the buzzz and meteor, but it seems like the flight more resembles a slightly faster comet with a little less glide from the actual throwers descriptions.

So.....'new age comet' or no? I'm probably going to pick one up today, regardless, it sounds like an interesting disc.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jeronimo » Tue May 18, 2010 8:29 am

Buy one today and report back here. It's more or less what you're describing. We're getting to a level of detail in describing disc flights on this site that concerns me... Though I doubt I would give the edge to the Comet in glide, then again I couldn't really qualify or quantify that statement if I wanted to.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby what'shisname » Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 am

I've got a GL and an Opto on the way. I love my Cores and am hoping that these will replace my comets. I love the comet, but I find them to be a little too touchy because of the low speed. I tend to hit them too hard and then they turn and burn. I know this is not the discs fault, but I would love a disc that flies similar to a comet that I can throw the same as I throw my Cores.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby emiller3 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 am

Can anyone compare the Fuse with QMS's?
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby discspeed » Tue May 18, 2010 10:33 am

emiller3 wrote:Can anyone compare the Fuse with QMS's?

The Fuse is faster, has a touch more glide, and has less LSS.
discspeed

Postby emiller3 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:37 am

Less LSS?! So it's like -1/0 on the GGGT chart? I think the QMS is -1/1, and that seems pretty generous in the LSS department to me.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment