Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby RonTheWhip » Wed May 12, 2010 2:29 am

Hey Y'all

I use to be the guy who's main putter was a Star Classic Roc and a Champ Classic Roc. Wonderful discs. When I switched over to the darkside, I was forced to revert back to traditional putters and was using the Challenger for most of the '09 season. Then the Ringer came out...pure bliss.

I am one of the few players the uses this disc as their main putter. In fact, Mike Jo from NC is the only other pro I know that uses them. I met ONE other human being that also uses them as their main putter.

I do have some other Oregon pros hooked however. Kirk McAllister and Brice Lang, together we form Team Ringer! They aren't exclusively putting with Ringers, but they use them enough to make me proud :D

Anyone else out there putt with the Ringer?

I use mine for EVERY shot within 150' of the pin. Does everything for me, backhand, sidearm, rollers and pancakes. I also use it off the tee for short strait holes 200' and in. I kept track of all my shots recently at two C tiers...66% Ringer for over 200 strokes. Thats how much I use em. My MVD (Most Valuable Disc) for sure.

Also, how much would you pay for a Z Ringer? What if you had the only 20 Z Ringers ever made? Would you share? :lol:
Every | Shot | Matters

Force
Predator
Reaper
Nebula
Ringer
RonTheWhip
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Force

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby Parks » Wed May 12, 2010 2:36 am

You could buy a lot of Focuses (Focii?) with that money. Its close to a Wizard, but you can use it. Sell that Ringer garbage!

That might get you into the top tier of pros, where the Ringer will leave you stagnant :D
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RonTheWhip » Wed May 12, 2010 2:52 am

Parks wrote:You could buy a lot of Focuses (Focii?) with that money. Its close to a Wizard, but you can use it. Sell that Ringer garbage!

That might get you into the top tier of pros, where the Ringer will leave you stagnant :D

Haha, I am by no means in the top tier of pros. However, the first event I went all Ringer for was the 2009 USDGC. Guess who is going again this year because he qualified last year? Thanks Ringer :)

I like the feel of the Focus actually. And the Soft Challengers too, they just don't putt as well for me. If I ever switch to a push putt, I'll probably go back to Challengers. As it stands, I'll just keep spinning those Ringers baby!
Every | Shot | Matters

Force
Predator
Reaper
Nebula
Ringer
RonTheWhip
Noob

Postby marmoset » Wed May 12, 2010 5:48 am

Yay! Ron the Whip is here!
I had a blast watching you @ USDGC this year... top 15? I would definitely put you up in the top tier of pros.

Sorry, I have nothing to add to the Ringer discussion, just welcoming you to the board.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby dgdave » Wed May 12, 2010 5:50 am

The ringer is one of the few discs I've never tossed. It was my choice not to because I absolutely hated the way it sat in my hand. I can't think of another mold I've done that with. It may fly great, but I may never know.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby MR. WICK » Wed May 12, 2010 7:32 am

The logo on the disc cracks me up. It looks just like Winger's logo with an R instead.
I use challengers and have never tried a ringer. How does the stability compare?
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed May 12, 2010 8:32 am

I liked the ringer (I used to drive with Champ Classic rocs) but man the Pro D plastic they were made out of just got destroyed. I think I had my ringer flippy in under 15 rounds driving with it.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby curt » Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 am

Could you find someone to share with? :lol:

fixed
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Ryan C » Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 am

For me to use a putter as my main putter, it needs to be available in a few different pastics, because I would prefer to drive with the same putter than I putt with, and I don't want to drive with Pro D putters.

I like the focus, because I can get pro D foci for putting, or hunt down ESP Ace Race Foci for driving. I wish they went into normal production in ESP.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby MR. WICK » Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 am

Ryan C wrote:For me to use a putter as my main putter, it needs to be available in a few different pastics, because I would prefer to drive with the same putter than I putt with, and I don't want to drive with Pro D putters.

I like the focus, because I can get pro D foci for putting, or hunt down ESP Ace Race Foci for driving. I wish they went into normal production in ESP.

I like driving with the D plastic. Keep them in different stages of wear.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby JR » Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Welcome Dion. I like the Ringer for driving. So far the longest flat ground toss was in cool weather IIRC 41F calm 307' laser. I have super dry hands now despite using hand balm daily and the Ringer is too slippery for me. For grip reasons I'd prefer ESP in not the hardest blend for tackiness. The Ringer is great for handling some winds on drives and controlled turning anny in small increments. Not just straight, medium or far right RHBH. And it likes to hold the anny better than Rhynos and VPs which too are small increment controllable for annies.

Another great thing about the thinness of the Ringer is that people with small hands and short fingers can grip it easier than Rhyno and VP.

For putting my preferred style is laser and Ringer is too hard fading for my tastes and falls hard at longer distances or less than high power. But I like other thin fast putters like Spikes(main choice) and XDs. But for longer runs outside the circle I like to run with the legs and use less fading and more gliding discs. I tested 20 different putters that partially were same molds in different plastics and/or weights. Flightwise for 36-40' I prefer a Rattler. Mine is rubber 170 to 172 stickered but I think a little lighter works better for the added glide. Just gotta get one. Too bad it's just too tall for me and difficult to grip and snap well. So DX Aero 175 is more all rounder because it tackles wind better and I grip and snap it more naturally and less constrained but I'd like to get a lighter one because it drops too fast for me. I wanna keep aiming simple and aim off target as little as possible to remove a judgment error source from putts. I can see that Ringer would work well for putts that are thrown high and to the right of the basket fading to the basket. That way the speediness won't cause long blow bys often and it still has minor power requirement due to the speed. Which helps with accuracy and consistency.

How do you putt Dion?

In approaching Ringer can skip far being so fast just like the XD and the Spike. Classic Roc has an edge being slower. They fade too hard for my taste and at 175 DX drop too much. So in hazardous places where hyzering ain't an option I pick slower discs. Like the Rattler. Disc minimalism bah when it comes to putters used for putting approaches and drives. My home course is short, tight and technical so that probably steers my preference because an overwhelming majority of throws are putter ranges with multiple requirements.

I do like the Ringer and if there was medium to fairly stiff version that was more durable and tacky I'd be all over them. For me it's the most reliable fairly straight 250'+ driving putter that can be thrown hard and flat. A very useful shot around here. With wind tolerance as an added bonus. What a nice disc. Pro D doesn't survive in my hands or in the bedrock riddled courses here. Add ESP and I might never need another driving putter. OTOH I haven't tried an Ion yet. From what I've read it isn't as high speed stable so I think I'll prefer the Ringer at high power. I like all the margin of error discs give me against user error and Ringer brings plenty of that. I wanna love the Ringer but my relatively glass hard skin and slippery fingers can't hold on to one in cool wet weather. Most of the year in Finland :(

I've been thinking of getting a Focus and a Zone for testing for grip and flight but Discraft's system of describing discs doesn't give clues to glide and fade at different putting distances and styles so they are mysteries to me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed May 12, 2010 1:30 pm

RonTheWhip wrote: Also, how much would you pay for a Z Ringer? What if you had the only 20 Z Ringers ever made? Would you share? :lol:

Well maybe not the only ones. :)

Somehow, during a recent trip to the Discraft factory, I acquired one. Feels great but I haven't thrown it yet.

I have a Z Zone as well which is very overstable. So much so that I need to do a lot more practice with it. I keep underestimating for overstable it is and how little strong winds affect it.

Hopefully both get released. I think there is a market for both. Then Z versions of the Nuke and the X-Clone can follow them.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby KJDog19 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:Then Z versions of the Nuke and the X-Clone can follow them.

YUMMY! *Day dreams*
Ions|Tangent|Tensor|Amp|Volts|Shock

Proud thrower of MVP discs.
KJDog19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Flipflat » Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 pm

The Ringer's cool. I got two aces with my proto last summer, 24 hours apart! It was only like a 150' hole, but still, after I aced it the first time I went back the next day and aced it again. The shot is a high right window shot through some trees and brush (you can't see the basket from the tee box), and I guess I just got the angle right.

I like the Ringer because of the the low-profile grip. It feels natural to use a power grip with it off the tee, and I like the very slight thumb-track around the edge.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby RonTheWhip » Wed May 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:
RonTheWhip wrote: Also, how much would you pay for a Z Ringer? What if you had the only 20 Z Ringers ever made? Would you share? :lol:

Well maybe not the only ones. :)

Somehow, during a recent trip to the Discraft factory, I acquired one. Feels great but I haven't thrown it yet.

I have a Z Zone as well which is very overstable. So much so that I need to do a lot more practice with it. I keep underestimating for overstable it is and how little strong winds affect it.

Hopefully both get released. I think there is a market for both. Then Z versions of the Nuke and the X-Clone can follow them.

Nice ideas!

How recent was your trip to the factory? if it was in the last month, you may have snaked one of mine :)

Also, I vote for a Z Pulse!
Every | Shot | Matters

Force
Predator
Reaper
Nebula
Ringer
RonTheWhip
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment