Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby RonTheWhip » Wed May 12, 2010 2:33 pm

JR wrote: I can see that Ringer would work well for putts that are thrown high and to the right of the basket fading to the basket. That way the speediness won't cause long blow bys often and it still has minor power requirement due to the speed. Which helps with accuracy and consistency.

How do you putt Dion?

I've been thinking of getting a Focus and a Zone for testing for grip and flight but Discraft's system of describing discs doesn't give clues to glide and fade at different putting distances and styles so they are mysteries to me.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1mlmj4sKQ

Mostly I am a spin putter, fairly direct. In line with the chains the whole way if I can help it.

Focus is stable, feels good in the hand and has decent glide. I just don't like throwing tall putters very hard. The Zone is REALLY stable, so be prepared.
Every | Shot | Matters

Force
Predator
Reaper
Nebula
Ringer
RonTheWhip
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 11:53 am
Favorite Disc: Z Force

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:
RonTheWhip wrote: Also, how much would you pay for a Z Ringer? What if you had the only 20 Z Ringers ever made? Would you share? :lol:


Well maybe not the only ones. :)

Somehow, during a recent trip to the Discraft factory, I acquired one. Feels great but I haven't thrown it yet.

I have a Z Zone as well which is very overstable. So much so that I need to do a lot more practice with it. I keep underestimating for overstable it is and how little strong winds affect it.

Hopefully both get released. I think there is a market for both. Then Z versions of the Nuke and the X-Clone can follow them.

I'd kill a drifter for a Z Zone
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Please understand that the previous statement should in no way imply that I would truly harm a poor drifter.. :wink:
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby ziggy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Tossin' in Memphis wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:
RonTheWhip wrote: Also, how much would you pay for a Z Ringer? What if you had the only 20 Z Ringers ever made? Would you share? :lol:


Well maybe not the only ones. :)

Somehow, during a recent trip to the Discraft factory, I acquired one. Feels great but I haven't thrown it yet.

I have a Z Zone as well which is very overstable. So much so that I need to do a lot more practice with it. I keep underestimating for overstable it is and how little strong winds affect it.

Hopefully both get released. I think there is a market for both. Then Z versions of the Nuke and the X-Clone can follow them.

I'd kill a drifter for a Z Zone


Samurai Memphis - slicing them driftin winds with a Z zone..
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:13 am
Location: Talon

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby JR » Thu May 13, 2010 1:37 am

RonTheWhip wrote:
JR wrote: I can see that Ringer would work well for putts that are thrown high and to the right of the basket fading to the basket. That way the speediness won't cause long blow bys often and it still has minor power requirement due to the speed. Which helps with accuracy and consistency.

How do you putt Dion?

I've been thinking of getting a Focus and a Zone for testing for grip and flight but Discraft's system of describing discs doesn't give clues to glide and fade at different putting distances and styles so they are mysteries to me.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1mlmj4sKQ

Mostly I am a spin putter, fairly direct. In line with the chains the whole way if I can help it.

Focus is stable, feels good in the hand and has decent glide. I just don't like throwing tall putters very hard. The Zone is REALLY stable, so be prepared.


Yeah that's the kind of putt that the Ringer excels at. Personally I try to maintain chain height and aim for the pin from as far as possible without using so much speed that a miss flys by too far. If the basket is farther than that I try to minimize deviation from a perfectly straight line for as long as possible and minimize the deviations when I must. The Ringer can be lasered only at short ranges or way overpowered for short ranges ok for medium ranges with a great risk of long blow by. That's why I don't laser putt with it and since that's my preferred style and I can hyzer drop in anything so the Ringer is a driving putter for my taste. And Z may well help with that.

Is Z Ringer grippier than Pro-D? Is it tackier or slicker than Z Buzzz or Stalker and by how much? Both of those are fine for me. I'm not sure that Focus and Zone are putters for me I was thinking trying them for driving duty.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Thu May 13, 2010 11:29 am

ziggy wrote:
Tossin' in Memphis wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:
RonTheWhip wrote: Also, how much would you pay for a Z Ringer? What if you had the only 20 Z Ringers ever made? Would you share? :lol:


Well maybe not the only ones. :)

Somehow, during a recent trip to the Discraft factory, I acquired one. Feels great but I haven't thrown it yet.

I have a Z Zone as well which is very overstable. So much so that I need to do a lot more practice with it. I keep underestimating for overstable it is and how little strong winds affect it.

Hopefully both get released. I think there is a market for both. Then Z versions of the Nuke and the X-Clone can follow them.

I'd kill a drifter for a Z Zone


I suppose spring time in Memphis is like everyday in Kansas City!

Samurai Memphis - slicing them driftin winds with a Z zone..




I suppose spring time in Memphis is like everyday in Kansas City! Lots of wind for league night tonight!
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Memphis, TN
Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby Spinach D » Thu May 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Ill have to give the ringer a shot.

BTW do any pros actually putt the Banger-GT? Seems like some throw it but don't putt it.
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby IdahoLefty » Fri May 14, 2010 8:05 pm

I picked up a ringer today. i have a few of the proto run but that plastic is crap. shall see how the standard d holds up. Maybe they will move my CT challengers out of my bag...
Friends dont let friends throw roc's.

buzz for president (its dependable)
IdahoLefty
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:37 pm
Location: In a cave
Favorite Disc: Raww!

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby riverboy » Sat May 15, 2010 2:28 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
RonTheWhip wrote: Also, how much would you pay for a Z Ringer? What if you had the only 20 Z Ringers ever made? Would you share? :lol:


Well maybe not the only ones. :)

Somehow, during a recent trip to the Discraft factory, I acquired one. Feels great but I haven't thrown it yet.

I have a Z Zone as well which is very overstable. So much so that I need to do a lot more practice with it. I keep underestimating for overstable it is and how little strong winds affect it.

Hopefully both get released. I think there is a market for both. Then Z versions of the Nuke and the X-Clone can follow them.

Oh man. If they re-released the X-clone in Z plastic, I would be very happy. On topic, I fondled some ringers the other day, and they feel horrible to me. Honestly, I would rather grip the wide rim side of the epic than this. :? I always tell people to learn to get over feel though, so I may have to try them out before hating.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: Jamestown ND
Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby Iman522 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Ever since the Ringer has came out I have looked at it but never jumped on it. Just curious how driving with it compares to driving with a max weight wizard?
Iman522
Noob
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: West TX

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby Aubin » Fri May 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Iman522 wrote:Ever since the Ringer has came out I have looked at it but never jumped on it. Just curious how driving with it compares to driving with a max weight wizard?


i was curious about that too, so i picked one up.

I usually use 174g wizards for short drives, but wanted to try the ringer for the low profile grip and possible extra distance potential, being a more mid-like, more stable disc.

after many rounds and practice throws: the ringer is a nice disc, can't say anything bad against it, but it didn't do anything the wizard couldn't do. touch shots for me were all over the place, being used to the taller wizard, but i could see getting used to the ringer and liking it. at full power, the ringer had more HSS (took a harder throw without flipping) and a lot more LSS and late hard fade. I'm sure this would all even out to a nice relatively stable disc though after it beats in... and that's compared to worn wizards so take it for what it's worth. The pro-D of my first run Ringer held up to a few tree whacks and some rocks and such (more than I can say for my last few pro-D's).

the wiz's (which are all seasoned) had to be thrown more carefully (less HSS), but had less fade and basically the same distance. touch shots with the wiz were much easier just based on practice and experience with them, but I could see the ringer doing well here to, especially with a beat/seasoned/new approach. drives were... well, drives with a wizard. dead straight and decent D for a putter, holding any line you choose.

overall, the ringer is solid. if you like low profile, mid-like putters like the zone, XD, classic roc etc, you'll probably love it. i thought i could get an extra 10% of D on my putter throws but turns out the wiz goes just as far no problem. if i need a longer putter shot, i'll grab a comet.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 7:59 am
Location: Milford, CT
Favorite Disc: APX

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby t0ny » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:54 pm

I would LOVE to own a z ringer or 3!!!
t0ny
Noob
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:39 pm
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby JR » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:41 pm

DGA Breaker comes in slick ESP type material and flies like a Ringer because it just might be one. For the material it seems to be not that durable though bu still fine for grass courses fora a long long time. Not so great around rocks.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Ringers - Discraft's Hidden Gem

Postby money 21 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:59 pm

I love the ringer mold but they just beat up to fast. Not a sponcred play so when the money is coming out of my pocket is switched. the breaker has found its way into the bag and i can't see it leaving any time soon great disc for up shots. I putt with magnets but use a breaker paired with a pa4 for most of my up shots.

RontheWhip you kicked my ass in a nasty rain storm at wortmans park a couple years ago i was putting with ringers back then.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Favorite Disc: Z XS

Previous

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests