Star Coyote?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Star Coyote?

Postby Cali » Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 am

Did these ever come out first run star stamped?

I found one at the shop the other day and I can't figure out if it's a mis stamp from the FR Makos.
Cali
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Star Coyote?

Postby discspeed » Wed May 12, 2010 8:45 am

Cali wrote:Did these ever come out first run star stamped?

I found one at the shop the other day and I can't figure out if it's a mis stamp from the FR Makos.

Coyotes never had a star...and I've seen the FR Makos with "CY" on the back, so its probably a Mako.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby KJDog19 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:46 am

I believe I did here of some Makos being marked as Coyotes.
Ions|Tangent|Tensor|Amp|Volts|Shock

Proud thrower of MVP discs.
KJDog19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed May 12, 2010 8:47 am

I think all the first run coyotes were champ glows with the mini star stamp. I agree with Discspeed that it is probably a mako.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Cali » Wed May 12, 2010 8:50 am

That's what I thought. I fondled it but I've never held a Coyote before either so it was a mystery.
Cali
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Cali wrote:That's what I thought. I fondled it but I've never held a Coyote before either so it was a mystery.

It'd be a tough call anyway, IIRC the only difference is the top.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby pg043 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:42 am

It is definitely a Mako
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby JR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Reviving this old thread to state my current absolute favorite midrange disc at 180 grams for straight shots. Easy to release and grip due to flat shape. Not much shorter than the longest mids as long as you can give height. So HSS that it doesn't flip at all at fairly high power levels. I haven't been able to throw with perfect traction yet so some underpowering is going on but for golf control shots you're not gonna use 100 % anyhow. Almost no fade and no need to account for the fade even in tight tunnels. Some wind handling even in headwinds. When i missed from flat the 'yote flew enough sideways to handle many turning fairways. Throwing nose up for hyzers and down for annies would accentuate the sideways motion to make this even more versatile than i've seen so far. While not gliding too much to the sides to sacrifice margin of error for flat shots. This is a very secure disc that gives you peace of mind if you have a relatively clean form at high power or moderately clean lower power. It is a rare new player friendly disc that is great also for 400'+ throwers. The Coyote is triumphant for both crowds.

I think the Coyote is superior to old tried and true standards overall. Buzzzes vary and only Z and glo Z from regular production and regular priced ones are HSS enough to not flip at high power like the Coyote. The HSS enough for initial straight flight Buzzzes fade way way more than the Coyote and that sacrifices tunnel performance if thrown above a mere few feet. The Coyote fades very little even when thrown over fairly tall obstacles. The higher you throw the more high power generation comes to play if fades of under 10' are needed. At normal apexes under 10' fades are automated. It's more like under 6' for me most of the time with lower shots fading in the range of 3' and at times even less.

I need to do a head to head test with D but an MD2 in C is shorter so the Buzzz and the Roc fall clearly behind. Beat to perfect Rocs fade as little but with a worse grip and shorter flight. Beating Rocs in and carrying enough to rotate is more of a hassle than getting a Star Coyote in perfect condition with some HSS to spare from the shop. Throw it in the water? No problem buy a new perfect one and be set with throw number one. Ease and no worries. No extra pressure needing to safe guard the worked for a year precious treasure.

I will buy a Champ Coyote to compare to see which i prefer or if i use both but the Star 180 Coyote FTW! Lycan? I don't care how it flies seeing how the grip sucks balls compared to anything let alone the great Coyote. Burn Innova for planning to replace the Coyote -i'm stocking up for life. I need to think about declaring their best disc but it could very well be exactly that. Aviar? Nah there are better. Roc? From lid era and not universally accessible. Teebird yea and no and old timer with having been surpassed in many aspects. Coyote hasn't really been bested. Comets and other low power requirement understable discs are at a clear disadvantage for error margin and windy day performance let alone peace of mind. You don't need to focus as hard with the Coyote and get a perfect execution each time you throw. And the advantage increases when one considers that the Coyote does not add to the errors made by the user like Comet and the like do. The fact that there are some recent longer mids ain't a clear minus because ranging and bag building are easier with discs like the Coyote. That when wanted and with high power can be made to stretch the legs more than enough. Even to the point of overflying for advanced division longer throwers let alone pros.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 am

Second time out with an orange 180. If i throw it with a 8-9' long x step with a slow first step i don't turn it. With a run up and a two finger grip=more D i need to put 2 degrees of hyzer for a flip to flat. The height window for good/best D is much higher than with putters but at a lower apex height. Mostly 300-305' line drives but the longest one was 315'. When flying flat it won't fade more than many putters but hyzered there is more sideways movement than with a similar hyzer Anode and Sole. Maybe about 7-9' more. Still straight enough in most cases but not good in the tightest of tunnels. But very few discs are at the heights the Coyote needs for best D. Which is less than putters that are safer for staying in the tunnels but way more difficult to get as far. Not a lot safer because the Coyote is a very putter like mid.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Pwingles » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:08 pm

What would happen if you added 3 degrees of hyzer instead of 2 :o
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby JR » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:55 am

I did that and it had a 1 degree hyzer. So far for me the discs seem to flip an equal amount of degrees as a rule. There may be exceptions but i don't recall any off the top of my head unless there is OAT or wind. I suspect the most squirrely flippy discs could exaggerate flips from different initial angles. The 1 degree hyzer added about twice the amount of fade on a tall drive and on a low drive the addition was only a few feet. While the Coyote ain't the most gliding disc in the world it glides pretty well and will move pretty much sideways if it ain't flat.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:46 am

Holy distance increase these glide and lift far in rear winds! A line drive was carried to 340' and another throw was hit by a rear right jet that pushed it 100' left but it had a high apex. 300' is easy for me with these in calm conditions with at least 10' more being not too hard to get. In good traction cold weather.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Equipment