Blake's bag......and anyone else who wants to post.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 24, 2006 9:44 pm

I dont have a weighted mini, so I cant throw them very far ;-)
I really want to get some though, I love throwing around the house.
Im thinking of picking up a couple juju minis sometime, where do you get little flyers and CE avair minis? or are the CE same as the champ plastic minis ;-)

Oh and my first mini was a promotional disc I got from a kinkos, its a humphry flyer (similar to a whammo promo disc in shape) its a slightly larger diameter than a regular mini, between 4.5 and 5" i would geuss, so it wouldnt be legal for your mini golf, but it flies pretty well, not too high or low speed overstable, but glides well.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:10 pm

Carried over from the disc minimalism sticky...

In the bag now (and not leaving for a long time I think):

172 dx teebird - 300'-320' really accurate straight with good fade. A little broken in (flips flat), but still mostly newish.
170 dx valk - 330'-340' just starting to break in so that it rolls right very slowly before coming back in a good sized fade at the end.
174 glow roc beat in well - flips flat and flies straight with almost no fade at the end even when thrown high. 250'-260'
175 dx roc new - hyzers most of the way 270'-290'
175 soft wizard x 2 - one putts, the other drives and approaches - could go to just one to make room for another disc, but don't see myself having to do that.
172 e spirit broken in well - only used in extreme wind or for the vary rarely thrown skip shot or hard breaking sidearm.

I know that I'll be adding another teebird when this one's flight has changed enough. Same with the valk. My mini bag will hold 11 discs for me. That leaves 2 open spots. What should I look at adding? Should I stick with this for a while and not add anything yet? If so, what should my goals be for these discs (I know Blake advised getting the valks out to 360' consistently and then progressing from there...but to where?)? This is the 2nd major change of my bag in the last few months and I don't want to mess with it much more after this, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby distantdg » Thu May 25, 2006 1:21 pm

Any suggestions or comments would be great....

X Avenger
Z Avenger
Z XL
Z Talon

Midnight Buzzz
Z Glide
Z Wasp

Pro-d Challenger
Crystal Challenger
X soft Challenger
distantdg
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 2:38 pm

i would say break in a buzzz to play understable mid. I cant say ditch the glide (they had their place in my bag a long time) but its more a tweener than a midrange, and fly bys are very common.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby bigs348 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:49 pm

A broken in D-Buzzz for turnovers will be your best friend.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 3:08 pm

also, once your x avenger is breaking in get another but keep the broken in one in the bag, they are much longer broken in.
I have 3 x avengers in my bag currently (+a esp and Z)
the middle one is proabably the longest, while the most broken in one is getting to the point its great for finish left, tailwinds and the occasional roller.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 25, 2006 6:39 pm

dm42:

aside from adding more valks/teebirds there isn't a whole lot you will need.

as for moving up in discs, that is up to you.

if you peak with 360' with a valk, you may want something for max D that is longer, but chances are at that distance range, your valk will still probably be more predictable/accurate.

ideally by the time you reach that point you will have some idea of what kind of flight path you will want from the rest of your future drivers. there's basically the s-curve flight path of the valk vs. the straight to left flight of the teebird.

1 step up from a valk:
wildcat, old beast, viking

2 steps up:
orion ls, orc, sl, flash

3 steps up:
wraith

discs that are steps up from a teebird:
starfire x, avenger (starfire being most similar)
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 11:27 pm

Blake_T wrote:dm42:

discs that are steps up from a teebird:
starfire x, avenger (starfire being most similar)

once they make the starfire x in pro or dx then it will really be more similar
mabey discraft needs to look at an avenger x...
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:50 pm

I need some help, and i dont want to start a new topic, so i figure this is the best place to go.

OK heres the current bag:

174 CE Eagle
174 DX Teebird
174 DX Cyclone
172 CH Sidewinder
174 CH Spider
175 DX Magnet

its inbetween stages, so thats why its empty. i was hoping for some advice as to what else to put in there. i have no brand loyaltee, so dont worry about that.

heres what i was hoping to make my bag, so let me know if it sounds good:

174 CE Eagle
-- 165? CH Eagle --
174 DX Teebird,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\\ Im thinking i should pick between
174 DX Cyclone`````````````````// these two discs, since i really dont need both...
-- ??? DX Valk --
-- ??? CH Gator --
174 CH Spider
-- 174 Soft or SS Wizard --
-- 174 Med or firm Wizard --

so what do you think? i will add the more overstable mid, a disc inbetween the CE eagle and my stable driver, replace my understable driver, and add 2 wizzards. as it is now, i like the magnet as an understable mid, but it feels akward in my hand as a putter, and the old D plastic warped, so thats why i want softer wiz (since only the SS ever gets understable). i also want to at least try a firmer wiz to see how i like it for everything else.

let me know what you think, feel free to suggest stuff.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat May 27, 2006 11:58 pm

you seem to know what youre doing fine, and the fact you plan on replacing the sidewinder is a good sign.

as for choosing between the cyclone and teebird, youre right you should choose one.
Teebird very straight, high resistance to turn = predictable
cyclone more versitle, more forgiving
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 28, 2006 12:34 pm

oops, i meant to say gazelle, not cyclone. i musy have had something else on my mind.

The problem i have is that the valk will take a little bit to beat into where i want it, but in the long run that will be better anyways.

how would the SS wiz compare to my broken in D magnet? the warped magnet is really startiing to annoy me, so its comming out ASAP. i will just need somehting that will go to the right out of my hand with little fade, like my magnet does now.

im hoping the lighter eagle will be good too, ive never thrown one before. i tend to like the feel of max weight discs, but im slowly growing out of that.

and im still not sure about the gator. i need an overstable mid that will stay that way. i had a KC roc, but unfortunatly i never really liked it. good disc, just not for me.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 28, 2006 12:37 pm

a stable putter with a touch of anhyzer goes right out of the hand with a little fade.

you only really need a super beat putter if you want something that will go straight and turn late.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 28, 2006 2:51 pm

jgarcia9102 wrote:oops, i meant to say gazelle, not cyclone. i musy have had something else on my mind.

gazelle will be similar to the cyclone anyways, so same ideas apply, the gazelle is proabably just alittle more forgiving than the cyclone, but not as versitle.

the wizard will fly different, but would be worth trying, its capable of much more than a beat soft magnet. Be aware though that the ss wizard wont be as soft as a soft magnet.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 28, 2006 4:43 pm

Its not a soft magnet, but it is pretty beat in. i have felt the SS wiz before, and i really liked the feel, but ive never thrown it.

i picked up a lighter eagle today along with the DX valk, and a CH rhyno to try. the rhyno is more of an ovestable mid for me though, i cant really use it as a putter.

the gateway guy around here was off at a tourny, so the Wizards will have to wait untill later.

i took the TB out of my bag for now, but im no better off now because i found a Cyclone today. now ill have to decide between that and the gazelle. oh well.

also, the valk is a great disc, but its not what i expected out of the box. looks like it will need a few rounds in the woods before i can really use it.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 28, 2006 10:48 pm

finding a cyclone is accually perfect for where you are, now you can really decide which fits your game better ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment