The River

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The River

Postby vtbuzzz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 pm

That and the iocane powder I built up an immunity to.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:58 pm

These last couple of posts don't look very river related.

p.s. sorry bill, much like FH can't just say "hey something something X nuke" and then continue the derail, you can't say "something something river" and continue the derail.

p.p.s. You might be saying "Frank where did my post go? It was a picture of a dude with moron misspelled". Well it got deleted b/c it had nothing to do with the river.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Pwingles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:45 pm

i wish they made the river in sexy bright opto, or even glo opto gasp :o

inbeforefrankcoulddeleteme.jpg
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Frank the tyrant!

Rivers are awesome.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:38 pm

Roc Lover wrote:inbeforefrankcoulddeleteme.jpg

haha

so getting back on track I have some DGC gift certs coming and was thinking about getting some 167-170 rivers, how do those compare to champ ELs of the same weight?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Shank » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:14 pm

just got four rivers in today. two gl two opto 165-175. they all fly pretty much the same. they remind me of fresh star tls or fresh pro line leopards right now. pretty stable new, but i can see them getting more dynamic as they season in like the aforementioned discs. i let some big arms at the course throw them and they had the same results. one of the things that surprised me the most is that even when i shanked it and got a bad drive, it was consistently like 30 feet further than a comparable terrible drive.

unrelated: also got some flows in, and holy shit they are perfect out of the box. they are comets you can lay in to.

big ups to hoey for some choice discs.
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Postby Pwingles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:33 pm

personally am liking my opto tons more than the GL, anyone wanna trade an opto for a GL 175g? im not particular about weight, and blue would be nice but color isnt an issue either really?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby FHthrower » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Shank wrote:just got four rivers in today. two gl two opto 165-175. they all fly pretty much the same. they remind me of fresh star tls or fresh pro line leopards right now. pretty stable new, but i can see them getting more dynamic as they season in like the aforementioned discs. i let some big arms at the course throw them and they had the same results. one of the things that surprised me the most is that even when i shanked it and got a bad drive, it was consistently like 30 feet further than a comparable terrible drive.

unrelated: also got some flows in, and holy shit they are perfect out of the box. they are comets you can lay in to.

I've heard good things about the flow. One wily vet from the 70's I know who owns a DG store is real jazzed about it.
Is Frank Serious?
FHthrower
Feed Me Seymour!

Postby Pwingles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:04 pm

FHthrower wrote:
Shank wrote:just got four rivers in today. two gl two opto 165-175. they all fly pretty much the same. they remind me of fresh star tls or fresh pro line leopards right now. pretty stable new, but i can see them getting more dynamic as they season in like the aforementioned discs. i let some big arms at the course throw them and they had the same results. one of the things that surprised me the most is that even when i shanked it and got a bad drive, it was consistently like 30 feet further than a comparable terrible drive.

I've heard good things about the flow. One wily vet from the 70's I know who owns a DG store is real jazzed about it.

take this shit to the flow thread morans
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Hoey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:39 pm

I've thrown both, and I would say my 170 Opto behaves similarly to an EL... both have a nice, slow, gradual turn.

I think I need a couple grams more and I'd be able to throw it with a bit more confidence for some more distance, once things start to open up a bit.

Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby bill » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:56 am

Roc Lover wrote:personally am liking my opto tons more than the GL?

just curious, but why?
i have both, had the opto first, and it was a lot more stable than i expected. but now that it's seasoned it has the HSS of a flimsy valk when you really get on it but still has enough LSS to make it useful.

brand new the GL doesn't have nearly the HSS the opto had brand new, but flies really, really nice. i worry it will be a useless pos once it starts to wear like the opto has.

honestly, after not much seasoning, i don't know how guys throw a river on a straight line, even with a hyzer angle. i need quite a bit of room to get it's full distance. but it's my understable D driver for sure. it's no fairway driver for me.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby EL-KABONG! » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:44 am

bill wrote:
Roc Lover wrote:personally am liking my opto tons more than the GL?
i need quite a bit of room to get it's full distance. but it's my understable D driver for sure. it's no fairway driver for me.

if the fairway is 'dogleg right' it sure as hell is
EL-KABONG!
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: SWORD

Postby Pwingles » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:47 am

my GL when new was completely different and throwing them back to back i just liked the opto better. It was stiff but out of the box it was like uber leopard and the GL was almost Teebirdish, it was so stable and just not what i was wanting. Its better now, theyre almost identical in flight but the opto is still my preferred river maybe just because i shunned the other one for a bit and im used to that one now, idk i just find myself reaching for that particular one more often.

for me I use it for hyzerflip lazer lines, straight drives that finish a bit right on lower lines, and longer turnovers. The opto to me does all of this better, its most likely a disc to disc thing. The PLH on my GL is sooooo low, but its every bit as stable as the opto and used to be more so.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby turso » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:07 pm

My 169g royal blue GL was very teebirdy with its stability as well, now it's just a tad more stable than my optos.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment