The River

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The River

Postby Shank » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm liking the optos.
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Postby Spike » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:20 am

Just curious, how do these ratings from Joe's seem to you guys?

Eagle-X 4.5 -0.5 3 4
Assassin 4.5 -0.5 3 4
River 4.5 -0.5 3 4

(yes, they have the exact same ratings)

...I would say River is the longest of the three due to better glide, and that Eagle-X is the most controllable. Assassin somewhere in between. What do you think?
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby JR » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:44 am

My former E Assassin had way less glide and two notches more speed than my GL River of the flippy then surely too early and too hard fading kind. I've not thrown Eagles much at all in 2010 so i can't compare them exactly. IIRC SEX fades more than the River and the Assassin.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Shank » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:30 pm

It might have those numbers right out of the box, but after about 10 games with my opto river, the flashing is gone, and they pretty closely resemble the -2 +1 turn and fade.
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Shank wrote:It might have those numbers right out of the box, but after about 10 games with my opto river, the flashing is gone, and they pretty closely resemble the -2 +1 turn and fade.

yip
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby bcr123psu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:48 pm

From what I've thrown, the Assassin is much flippier out of the box. I was surprised at how stable and how much fade the River had.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby BrotherDave » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:54 pm

bcr123psu wrote:From what I've thrown, the Assassin is much flippier out of the box. I was surprised at how stable and how much fade the River had.

Yeah, that's why the River reminds me so much of a heavy champ EL, except it seems a lot more predictable than the EL.

I don't know about the River and EX having the same numbers though, the River seems like a nicely worn in EX out of the box.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby EL-KABONG! » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 am

Agree...river less stable than eagle except:
Max weight rivers are close to a e-x

They are totally different animals in heavier weights
EL-KABONG!
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: SWORD

Postby Spike » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:33 am

EL-KABONG! wrote:Agree...river less stable than eagle except:
Max weight rivers are close to a e-x

They are totally different animals in heavier weights
Including the fade and all?

It was such a long time since I threw eagle-x, but that was before I realized it was supposed to be different from the other eagles, so I thought it was a freak and didn't use it much. Sold it.

I have a full weight opto River which i haven't thrown yet, but i expect it to be more stable than the g.l. Rivers. That's why I was interested in the River / Eagle-X comparison.

Thanks.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Spike » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:17 am

What I was trying to figure out is just how stable a River can be in full weight and the opto plastic. And if it could put my Striker out of the bag (I like my bag to be light). Perhaps the River-Blitz-Trident combo would be enough for the stable to overstable driver duties. I guess there’s only one way to find out, and that is to wait a couple of months :wink:
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sunspot » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Based on the flight chart it seems that the River would be a good complement to the Teebird, is it?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeah
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby bill » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:30 am

sunspot wrote:Based on the flight chart it seems that the River would be a good complement to the Teebird, is it?

i think it has too much glide for a fairway driver.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby turso » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:53 am

I think it's made of pure awesome. Bombed a 430' into 2m/s tailwind yesterday with my opto river.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby discspeed » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm finally getting to resume my River testing. Here's a little history...I originally tested a 173 Opto that had a little too much turn and fade for my tastes, making it tough for me to control. I then tested a 175 white GL that was TB stable. At the time we did not have any heavier Optos or other heavier GL runs for me to test, so I kind of forgot about the River.

A couple months ago I lost my seasoned QJLS...unfortunately all my backups were too stable to work lines. I've gone without a fwy driver since, trying to push my mids and power down my PDs. I'm getting to the point where I miss a slower driver again...Here's the thing though...I don't want to add multiple discs. I just want one disc that I can work on multiple lines. This brought the River back to mind. We've been restocked at CDGS, and I had many different Rivers to choose from. In particular that had some orange GLs that looked exactly like my Fuse, which has become one of my most beloved (and $$ earning) discs. I grabbed an orange 175g and started to deflash it immediately.

I played a few holes with the River and then I took it to the field. This disc has the potential to be the disc I'm looking for. It was much straighter all around than the Opto I've tested. Any turning was very gradual. It also seemed slower in the air, which I liked a lot. It is still just a touch more stable than I want it to be, but I'm sure that will change shortly. It does fly strangely like my Fuse of the same plastic did when it was new in terms of flightpath and glide. This orange GL is domey, but not crazy like some of the Optos. It feels really great in the hand, especially deflashed. I'll be giving it a thorough testing over the coming weeks.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment