The River

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The River

Postby Ryan C » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:29 am

Well, I guess its just different experiences. I throw Buzzzes 325', by the way, so at least in my case its not an issue of having enough power for it. But hey, if a disc is working great for someone, I'm certainly not going to tell them that it isn't.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:45 am

Ryan C wrote:Well, I guess its just different experiences. I throw Buzzzes 325', by the way, so at least in my case its not an issue of having enough power for it. But hey, if a disc is working great for someone, I'm certainly not going to tell them that it isn't.

Reading your earlier post it's my conclusion that we have 2 different discs. I was messing with my River on shots in the 200s, and even at that distance it never had a hard fade from a flat or turned over flight.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby kern9787 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:39 am

discspeed wrote:
Ryan C wrote:Well, I guess its just different experiences. I throw Buzzzes 325', by the way, so at least in my case its not an issue of having enough power for it. But hey, if a disc is working great for someone, I'm certainly not going to tell them that it isn't.

Reading your earlier post it's my conclusion that we have 2 different discs. I was messing with my River on shots in the 200s, and even at that distance it never had a hard fade from a flat or turned over flight.

It sounds pretty likely that his is flatter.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Or at least higher PLH.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby kern9787 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:05 pm

jubuttib wrote:Or at least higher PLH.

Probably technically more accurate. They trend together from what I've seen so far.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:04 pm

discspeed wrote:

Mine fades hard at 200' and at 300' it starts to get bendable to all sorts of flights which IMO is a good switch over distance for lower powered throwers from mids. Or for those not wanting to rip harder with mids depending on throwing power preference. So it would seem that there may very well be differences between Rivers. Honestly I wonder what the reasoning of so much fade is for such a flippy super glidey disc. I mean if it's super gliding and close to laser straight why not make it laser straight? Meaning a better longer Leopard. I wouldn't wonder if the one Discspeed has flies like Rivers were intended to fly. Mine is Gold line.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JimW » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:25 pm

discspeed wrote:Of all the discs I've thrown in the past, the River reminds me of a faster XL with more glide that is easier to throw. Yesterday I was playing with JimW and I ripped on hole 18 at Cliff Stephens on a high anhyzer that held the line for about 7/8 of the flight before pulling up and finishing straight ahead. It went about 400', which is the best I've done on that crazy high/wide anhyzer shot. Faster discs always pull out too early. With that kind of glide I can't wait to rip my River in some tailwinds, and I wish FL had some elevation because I imagine the River would rock on downhill shots like no other.

You were throwing a lot of really nice shots but I thought the anhyzers you were ripping with the River and Fuse were definitely the most impressive from both beauty of flight and a technical perspective. You were pretty much able to do what you wanted with them at will on some difficult lines to pull off correctly.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Monocacy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:13 pm

I appreciate everyone’s taking the time to give their take on the River.

Discspeed: Glidier XL or Star TL sounds about right.

NoLifeLeft: Thanks! I do like Comets, FWIW.

JR: Yes, I definitely prefer the River over Leopards.

The River is fun to throw, but for now I will stick with the predictability of DX Gazelles (one fresh, one broken-in) as my main fairway drivers.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:37 am

Well I bought into the hype....and I'm in a disc tryin mood. 2 pink opto rivers on the way to my door.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Hoey » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:40 am

TeamTollandDG wrote:Well I bought into the hype....and I'm in a disc tryin mood. 2 pink opto rivers on the way to my door.

giggity... I think you'll really like 'em!
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:49 am

It looked pretty in the vid you posted yesterday......which was a good laugh. :D
You still pair yours with a striker?
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby Hoey » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:52 am

I'm rocking the River/PD combo which is working out pretty well so far. Got a heavy(ish) SPD, and a lighter, beat PPD... and thanks to Jeronimo, am now rocking a CPD... pretty comfortable with that area of my bag right now.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:19 am

I'm hoping thats what the river does for me. I need something to go along side of the two pds I have in there. Right now there are Valks in there and I'm just not sold on them.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby Booter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:37 am

anybody carry the river and td rush together? I had the river for a bit bit didn't really giv it a chance because I like my stalkers. But I've been throwing my buzzz's so much I rarely touch the stalkers now so I'm considering giving them a go again.to compliment the pds but still keep the rush for big turnovers.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby what'shisname » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:46 am

booter wrote:anybody carry the river and td rush together? I had the river for a bit bit didn't really giv it a chance because I like my stalkers. But I've been throwing my buzzz's so much I rarely touch the stalkers now so I'm considering giving them a go again.to compliment the pds but still keep the rush for big turnovers.

Does the TD do anything a beat P-PD can't do? I've never thrown the TD, but I don't really feel that i'm missing anything in that slot with a beat P-PD and a River.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment