the story of the HURRICANE

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the story of the HURRICANE

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:08 pm

its been a while but IIRC the flash doesnt have as pronounced of a notch as the Cane.....could be wrong though
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Luke » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:22 pm

In Jesse's defense, how do all of your nails look after a round of disc golf?

You literally pick the disc up of the ground.

Plus, the nail really wasn't that long, it was just dirty. Disc golf is an outdoor sport.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby discspeed » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:22 pm

I picked one of these up today. It feels really good...best feeling fast driver I've held yet. It is buttery smooth with no flashing whatsoever, stiff, and grippy. It's definitely stiffer than Discraft's standard ESP. It is a pretty interesting design...longer winged Gazelle/Cyclone is spot on. I'm excited to throw it tomorrow.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:21 pm

discspeed wrote:I picked one of these up today. It feels really good...best feeling fast driver I've held yet. It is buttery smooth with no flashing whatsoever, stiff, and grippy. It's definitely stiffer than Discraft's standard ESP. It is a pretty interesting design...longer winged Gazelle/Cyclone is spot on. I'm excited to throw it tomorrow.

i have a sneaking suspicion you'll really like em......but won't like the fact that throwing them will require you to add a Force or similar disc to the bag also :wink:
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby discspeed » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
discspeed wrote:I picked one of these up today. It feels really good...best feeling fast driver I've held yet. It is buttery smooth with no flashing whatsoever, stiff, and grippy. It's definitely stiffer than Discraft's standard ESP. It is a pretty interesting design...longer winged Gazelle/Cyclone is spot on. I'm excited to throw it tomorrow.

i have a sneaking suspicion you'll really like em......but won't like the fact that throwing them will require you to add a Force or similar disc to the bag also :wink:

You are a bastard for liking these before I could throw them...but damn you're right about me liking them! The second part isn't true though...I grabbed some stable Bosses a few weeks ago as FH and headwind discs, so that part is already covered. :lol:

Anyway...Man this is a neat disc. I actually played about 12 extra holes today because I couldn't stop throwing it. I'm going to go ahead and say that it has better glide than any other wide rimmed disc. This means that it powers down better than any wide rimmed disc as well. I had zero learning curve as my first throw was incredibly straight and long. It flies almost exactly like my favorite S-PD, only a bit faster and with more glide. Today my throws with it showed a remarkably consistent ability to turn over and recover and fade. It is like the Cyclone of distance drivers--and I was getting more accuracy and feeling more touch on my 400' throws than I have with any other disc in recent memory. It feels so good in my hand and flies so pretty (with remarkably little effort) that I was throwing literally on every hole. I parked a couple of 280' hyzer shots with it...not exactly something to brag about, but they felt controlled in a way that could not be achieved by throwing a Nuke/Boss/Katana/Destroyer, etc. Speedwise it is probably between a Wraith and a Destroyer, but with the glide of a Flash. I would compare it to a faster Flash, but it has a more consistent turn and fade behavior where the Flash tends to hold out longer before fading(if it fades at all). It's fade behavior is also forward dominant like all my other favorite drivers (PD, Orc, Flash). I know I'm totally in a new disc crush phase, but this disc honestly feels like what I've been waiting for since rims got wider than the Orc/Flash. It is a fast, wide rimmed distance driver that does not require a 50mph release to cruise and does not become increasingly flippy with every single MPH over it's cruising speed that it attains. To avoid losing all credibility, I'm going to shut up now until I throw it some more. As far as first impressions go though, I can't remember when I was this impressed. I'm throwing a yellow 173...I can't say anything regarding the durability as I threw it too accurately today...The plastic does feel great and although it looks very opaque at first glance, I can actually see the text in this message through the disc if I hold it up flush to the computer screen.
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Hmmmm... Now i'm thinking I might have to buy a couple...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby disc junkie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Damn you all! The comparison to the Orc and cyclone make me interested now. Just when I gave up on wide rimmed drivers
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Solty » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:26 pm

disc junkie wrote:Damn you all! The comparison to the Orc and cyclone make me interested now. Just when I gave up on wide rimmed drivers

its not as wide as a nuke, boss or katana
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby MOB47 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey Discspeed,
What kind of a dome did yours have? BTW, thank you for reviewing all the discs that you do, i really enjoy reading your reviews. They are very accurate to the way i throw and i find them very useful.
Aviar/Roc/Spider/TL/Eagle/Wraith/Destroyer/Firebird
MOB47
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Aviars

Postby josser » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:04 pm

discspeed wrote: I know I'm totally in a new disc crush phase...

I always look forward to discpeed's new disc crushes. The Stalker one didn't last long, but the Ion and Fuse still seem pretty blissful.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:10 am

josser wrote:
discspeed wrote: I know I'm totally in a new disc crush phase...

I always look forward to discpeed's new disc crushes. The Stalker one didn't last long, but the Ion and Fuse still seem pretty blissful.

I don't crush on a disc unless it's good. Whether it stays in my bag or not, well that's another story. The Hurricane has a chance because I don't currently carry anything like it.
discspeed

Postby Risk » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:58 am

I'm really anxious to try this one out. Also is the disc as flippy as Blake's numbers suggest?
Hurricane 5.5 -2 +3.5 6
Force - Z Nuke - Predator - Stalker - Buzzz - Fuse -Zone - Focus
Risk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Risk wrote:I'm really anxious to try this one out. Also is the disc as flippy as Blake's numbers suggest?
Hurricane 5.5 -2 +3.5 6

I don't think it's quite that flippy. I'd give it 5.5, -1.5, +3, 5. It does not have the same power requirement as the 2.5 cm rimmed discs, that I can say for sure. And remember, that's a -1.5 over a 450' flight, so that's not really flippy. I don't really like putting numbers on things though as no one is actually taking any measurements.
discspeed

Postby Pat » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:16 pm

I would say that it is a smidge slower, a tick glidier, and a touch flippier than a star destroyer.

discspeed is right on with his assesment again.

Force SS is also a good comparison. If you are a d-craft/dga fanboi, this disc will fill a slot in your bag as discraft doesnt have anything quite like this yet.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:09 pm

discspeed wrote:
Risk wrote:I'm really anxious to try this one out. Also is the disc as flippy as Blake's numbers suggest?
Hurricane 5.5 -2 +3.5 6

I don't think it's quite that flippy. I'd give it 5.5, -1.5, +3, 5. It does not have the same power requirement as the 2.5 cm rimmed discs, that I can say for sure. And remember, that's a -1.5 over a 450' flight, so that's not really flippy. I don't really like putting numbers on things though as no one is actually taking any measurements.

as usual with DGA this really depends on what color you are throwing, I haven't thrown any yellows yet cuz all the yellows at a local store had collapsed domes, there is a pretty large difference in stability (read:PLH) between my whites and oranges (even at the same weight) with the whites being pretty close to the JFC rating and the oranges being closer to -1.0 or -1.5 in HSS (this is my experience from throwing them in the 400/420 range)
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment