The Disc Beeper?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The Disc Beeper?

Postby Barbikes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:33 pm

This morning while searching for a lost disc on #16 at Terrace Creek I started thinking about how cool it would be if golf discs "beeped". I mean if science can come up with a singing Xmas card then why not a small beeper that would velcro dot on to the bottom of your disc? Of course it couldn't weigh much. I'm thinking less than five grams and it wouldn't be legal for tournaments but it would be great for those "danger holes" that you do come across. Does anyone know of such a product? Would you buy one if they were available?
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:33 pm

I'd buy one, I spent an hour looking for my broken in roc today
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby PRES 10 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:48 pm

That is a good idea... the closest thing to it that I know of is that nite flite light deal.
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby garublador » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:08 pm

I've seen key chains that do what you describe. I'm sure you could modify one to make it lighter if need be as well.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:15 pm

I was playing at a course here in town and came across a mangled balloon out in the woods. I kicked it and it started singing "Rappers Delight".
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Re: The Disc Beeper?

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:03 pm

Barbikes wrote:This morning while searching for a lost disc on #16 at Terrace Creek I started thinking about how cool it would be if golf discs "beeped". I mean if science can come up with a singing Xmas card then why not a small beeper that would velcro dot on to the bottom of your disc? Of course it couldn't weigh much. I'm thinking less than five grams and it wouldn't be legal for tournaments but it would be great for those "danger holes" that you do come across. Does anyone know of such a product? Would you buy one if they were available?

hahahah, I've had that same thought on the same course, though mostly on #17. Lemme guess, you had a big hyzer that went down the hill into all that mess? I've spend a good amount of time rummaging through there, sometimes even with a spotter. :?

Seems to me that it wouldn't be hard to make one around the same size/weight as the LEDs you can tape on.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Barbikes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 pm

timbuktwhom - You are half right! I throw LHBH and I am always concerned about that mess in the woods to the left so I ended up throwing a little too high and hyzered short into the "logjam" between #15 and #16. I found my Inferno after a 10 minute search and still managed to par. "The Beeper" woulda saved me ten minutes!
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:46 pm

Ahh yes, I'm familiar with that mess as well. Just be glad you made it past all those blackberries in front of the tee...I've seen guys shank it into there and just walk on, not even wanting to look for 5 minutes.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:33 pm

Better yet, RFID tags for discs. I have been dreaming of these for years.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby adamschneider » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:51 am

timbuktwhom wrote:Just be glad you made it past all those blackberries in front of the tee...I've seen guys shank it into there and just walk on, not even wanting to look for 5 minutes.

I once shanked my favorite driver about 15-20 feet deep into some blackberries. I found a really big branch on the ground and started methodically beating my way in by swinging the branch over my head and bringing it straight down on the thorny bastards. I eventually carved a path in and found my disc -- along with another one that had been in there for who knows how long.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:07 am

Sharper Image sells golf balls with a tracking device in them that you find with a little locator. I'm sure that could be modified to work with discs.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby nasontackett » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:07 pm

I had this idea a couple years ago after loosing my disk. This is the beeper I have come up with. It is 6 grams. It has a rechargeable battery that charges off USB from a computer in less than 30 min. It is plenty loud. It stays on the disk. I cant tell that it is on my disc when I use it. It is waterproof. It has a 45 second delay after you turn it on so that you don't have to listen to it and it saves on batteries. It has 3 different sounds you can choose from. Check out beepdisc.com for some photos and demo video. It is not in production yet, but it should be in the next few months.
nasontackett
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Beast

Postby mark12b » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:59 pm

Wow, nice bump! The device looks pretty cool, I could see having a beeper disc in the bag for certain rounds.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Barbikes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:50 pm

nasontackett wrote:I had this idea a couple years ago after loosing my disk. This is the beeper I have come up with. It is 6 grams. It has a rechargeable battery that charges off USB from a computer in less than 30 min. It is plenty loud. It stays on the disk. I cant tell that it is on my disc when I use it. It is waterproof. It has a 45 second delay after you turn it on so that you don't have to listen to it and it saves on batteries. It has 3 different sounds you can choose from. Check out beepdisc.com for some photos and demo video. It is not in production yet, but it should be in the next few months.

Great minds think alike! I'm the OP on this thread and I still (5+ years later) think this is a great idea. I've signed up for your E-mail notifications and I'm looking forward to info on the released product.
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Return to Equipment