Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Postby JR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:39 am

jubuttib wrote:Pretty much, yeah. Are they a bit on the stiffer side or pretty gummy?

I know, that you were adressing dehaas, but you brought up a possible distinction in the S TDs, that may explain, why mine fade more than Beasts, when those of discspeed and dehaas won't. Mine are on the gummy side, but not that gummy, stiffer than QMS by a lot, but noticeably softer than stiffest Star plastic discs or even average Stars.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:54 am

The difference can be kinda muddled because the gummy ones aren't anywhere near as soft as Star can go, and the stiffer ones aren't exactly the stiffest Star plastic available either. The stiffer ones are just noticeably stiffer than the gummier ones.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 am

jubuttib wrote:The difference can be kinda muddled because the gummy ones aren't anywhere near as soft as Star can go, and the stiffer ones aren't exactly the stiffest Star plastic available either. The stiffer ones are just noticeably stiffer than the gummier ones.

Have you noticed a difference in LSS relatively to the softness or hardness of the plastic?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 am

The stiffer ones start out very HSS and don't really turn at all. They have some LSS but not much. If you power down on them they do fade considerably, until seasoned enough.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 am

Hmm, mine don't turn so i wonder how much softer S TDs get? Now i'm interested in finding a softer one in the hopes of getting a no/low fade one. Have you seen differences in PLH between stiffer and softer S TDs, that could explain the differences in fading?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:49 am

Of course there's a difference. The stiffer ones are higher PLH.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Trey133 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 pm

JR wrote:Hmm, mine don't turn so i wonder how much softer S TDs get? Now i'm interested in finding a softer one in the hopes of getting a no/low fade one. Have you seen differences in PLH between stiffer and softer S TDs, that could explain the differences in fading?

I'll definitely check tonight after work. Apparently the gummy blue likes to turn. My stiff reds do not like to turn unless powered hard.

I'll see if I can't give a description.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:10 pm

jubuttib wrote:Of course there's a difference. The stiffer ones are higher PLH.

Makes gummier ones sound even more interesting :-) I wonder if stiffer S TDs break in to less LSS? And if HSS stays or not.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:54 am

My favorite STD right now is a fairly flat and gummy red 175. This one does fade less than my stiff and domey 171s and my dayglow 175s that have a similar shape. It is very workable at fairway distances and I've been throwing the heck out of it. So far a powered down TD is the best solution I've come up with in my last 5 years searching for the right fwy driver for my style of play, but it will take a couple more months of evaluation to say this for sure.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby dehaas » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 am

the two that i picked up are flatter and stiffer plastic. i've got 2 c lines coming my way too, are those considerably more stable?
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:16 am

dehaas wrote:the two that i picked up are flatter and stiffer plastic. i've got 2 c lines coming my way too, are those considerably more stable?
The regular rimmed C-Lines are usually the least stable out of the box, along with the gummy S-Lines. The slanted C-Lines are kind of in-between the neutral stiffer ones and the more understable gummies.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby himynameismatt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm

jubuttib wrote:
dehaas wrote:the two that i picked up are flatter and stiffer plastic. i've got 2 c lines coming my way too, are those considerably more stable?
The regular rimmed C-Lines are usually the least stable out of the box, along with the gummy S-Lines. The slanted C-Lines are kind of in-between the neutral stiffer ones and the more understable gummies.

So I have a Slanted C-Line that is very straight with just a hair of turn. If I'm looking for a TD that's better at "S" curves what's best? I'm not looking for the most understable one, just the one that has the most turn yet still fades back. Valk or Eagle-L like if that makes sense?
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:53 pm

From what I've seen the slanty C's have be sharpest end fade, while still turning easier than the stiff S-lines. The TD really isn't that understable unless beaten, it's more of a straight disc, and usually likes to pick a direction and go there.

If you want it to turn over and still come back at the end you'd probably be better off getting a CD or a mid weight gummy P-PD.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby maskedavenger » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 am

let's see if I can kill this thread like I did one at dgcr by posting this:

Hmmm. As it seems like you lot know a lot more about this disc than me, I'll leave it up to you to decide what role my discs should assume. I've got:

~170g S-CD
~170g S-TD (the stiff kind)
175g C-TD (3rd run)

As of now, I'd say the CD is the most understable, but like you said, it tends to come back at the end if you give it the room to do that.

What would you suggest I do with these discs, what roles should they assume in my bag. I would like a dependably understable disc, but a consistent one at that. Which of these discs should I beat into taking that slot? What should the others do? Thankyou already

(disclaimer: buying new discs should not be an option. I'd much rather work with what I've got)

you tell me what I should do with them TDs! Beat them to hell until they get nice and understable? :)
maskedavenger
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:22 am

3rd run C-TD's you say? Are those the new regular rimmed ones? I haven't had a chance to test those yet, how do they fly? Someone mentioned that they might be more stable than earlier TD's.

Anyway, the stiff S-TD should be great for all sorts of neutral shots if you power it, and fade slightly if you don't huck it quite as hard. As you use it it'll start to season into a great little hyzerflip disc, and on to a great understable driver.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment