Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Can anyone tell me how the recent runs of S-line and C-line TD's are coming out? And are there any non-plus C TD's out there?

I'm looking for a stable TD that can handle a bit of wind, and one that will fly neutral after some seasoning.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:40 pm

There have always been non-plus C-TD's out there, left over from the CFR run and stamped with the stock stamp. They're actually usually even less stable than the S-Lines. If you want a stable TD, you're going to want a stiff S-Line, though it's still not going to be particularly great in the wind. Comes with the convex wing.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 pm

jubuttib wrote:There have always been non-plus C-TD's out there, left over from the CFR run and stamped with the stock stamp. They're actually usually even less stable than the S-Lines. If you want a stable TD, you're going to want a stiff S-Line, though it's still not going to be particularly great in the wind. Comes with the convex wing.

Thanks. I'm aware of the shape and how it isn't a wind-fighting mold, but I've been told some are manageable into mild headwinds. Is this the case for the more stable TD's?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Oh yeah, the stiff higher PLH S-TD's are definitely manageable into a mild/medium headwind, but you do need to take it into account.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I found a 172 Star TD at a local shop today and put it on hold. I wanted to see if anyone else has thrown one like it.

It seems to be a white champystar blend. I could see the rim through the flight plate clearly, and it wasnt as stiff as a pure star blend. It had very mild dome, and roughly the same PLH as 3 other C TD+'s (which all had less dome than the C/S TD in question). And it wasn't quite as gummy as some pure star TD's ive thrown, but close.

Is this a TD worth picking up for the stable control slot? I hear a lot about C/S TD's as being great, especially red ones.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm

The red champystar S-TD's are my choice for understable duties. The stiff neutral ones are a whole other animal.

Though comparing my C-TD+ to the neutral S-TD's, the PLH is pretty similar, the S-TD's are a tad higher. Not a big difference though. Stiffer neutral S-TD vs. gummy understable S-TD is a very noticeable difference.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm wondering if I found one in between. Hmm. No way to tell. I'll probably end up getting it since it appears to be a champystar blend.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 pm

There are obviously plenty of discs that fall between the extremes, I'm just stating the most common trends. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Jewdy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:09 pm

I just got finished with my first round with a Rush (171-Pink-flattish) in the bag. It was a lot more understable than I expected. It holds smooth anny well but tends to flatten out of a hyzer quicker than I expected for a disc that isnt broken in. I was hoping for laser line drives out of the box and understability with wear. For now, I find that it overlaps with my River too much to really keep it around. I am not giving up on it yet, just coming back down to earth after getting caught up in the hype machine. I feel like I did when I found out Santa wasn't real or Obama wasn't Jesus. Just kidding, not quite that disappointed.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby jubuttib » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm

How far are you throwing it?

But yeah, it is a Turning Driver after all, it's not really meant to be as stable as the stiffer ones are. For your average S-TD I think the official ratings -2 turn and +1 fade are pretty fitting. It should be a damn sight faster than a River though...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Jewdy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:26 pm

It is faster than my River but with the extra glide I get out of my River they are pretty close distance wise. I am throwing them about 375 max (River around 355). You are right ju, if i would have never read any of the posts about how surprisingly stable the TD was it would have been exactly what I expected from the flight ratings.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby jubuttib » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Most of the "surprisingly stable" stuff was because at first it was touted as being -4 turn and +1 fade, so basically a faster Roadrunner. If you're expecting that then it definitely is surprisingly stable. =)

The stiffer ones are straight when thrown flat, but the regular ones fly on frozen ropes too when hyzerflipped. Great discs in any case.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby yearofrolling » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:32 pm

I found the lighter weight STDs to be quite flippy. But it was winter and I may have been doing it wrong.
yearofrolling
Noob

Favorite Disc: Timberwolf

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:11 am

yearofrolling wrote:I found the lighter weight STDs to be quite flippy. But it was winter and I may have been doing it wrong.
All of the stiffer neutral ones I have are between 169-171, though I have seen a couple of max weight ones.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby dehaas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 am

I'm a fan of the royal blue s lines in the upper 160s, they fly pretty much dead straight for me and will hold a turn all the way to the ground if I need it too. I'd like to track down a regular rimmed c line at some point.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment