"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Whiz was killing these at the Clash this weekend and I saw a lot of other people rocking these. Lots of people (not whiz) who throw in the 340-350' range will really benefit from these as controllable distance drivers.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby bill » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 pm

rooneytunes wrote:Can someone compare the C-TD to a Quantum OLS? Does the TD have a lower cruising speed or about the same?

i'm throwing the C-TD at least 30' farther. i put the qols down and replaced it with a river. the qols was very straight for me but didn't have the glide the river or C-TD has.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:40 pm

what'shisname wrote:
bill wrote:but if you want a long straight driver i'd say try the C-TD. i'm still looking at mine like a girly magazine.
This is from another thread.. but it sums up my infatuation with the TD lately as well. I haven't been able to play lately due to snow and a very sick 2 year old, but I've been fondling my S-TD a lot. My Spider Monkey's been in the front seat lately and I often find myself pulling it out at a red light to fondle it. :oops:
Booter wrote:heh. dnt feel bad i keep a disc in my car just for fondling lol
bill wrote:i do too. i do blake's technique drills while i'm driving
Another one here. It just plain feels nice. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby rooneytunes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:04 pm

bill wrote:
rooneytunes wrote:Can someone compare the C-TD to a Quantum OLS? Does the TD have a lower cruising speed or about the same?

i'm throwing the C-TD at least 30' farther. i put the qols down and replaced it with a river. the qols was very straight for me but didn't have the glide the river or C-TD has.

The river is my go to fairway driver in lighter winds and wooded courses. The river has crazy D potential for its speed, so maybe I don't need a TD cause it will overlap more than I want. It's just so hard to ignore the DGR hype machine :lol:
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby Ryan C » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:06 pm

rooneytunes wrote:
bill wrote:

The river is my go to fairway driver in lighter winds and wooded courses. The river has crazy D potential for its speed, so maybe I don't need a TD cause it will overlap more than I want. It's just so hard to ignore the DGR hype machine :lol:

They wont make you throw better, if that helps. They fly really well for me, but lots of discs do. If you already like the River for a control driver that you can flip, just stick with it. They are similar enough that I don't think both would ever be necessary.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby dgdave » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:24 pm

The C TD has been way easier for me to control than the Rivers i tossed
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby sunspot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Will I miss the PD if I use the TD and Pred instead?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby discspeed » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:46 pm

sunspot wrote:Will I miss the PD if I use the TD and Pred instead?

The PD is more disc than those two put together. I like the TD because it imitates my year-seasoned champystar SPD and is easier to replace. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything a variation of the PD can't.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Ryan C » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:49 pm

I disagree that a PD can fly like a Predator. I've been messing around with the TD and Predator combo, and I don't feel anything missing at all. I wouldn't hesitate to at least try it.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JimW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:37 pm

I like the C-TD so far because it fits neatly between P and S-PDs due the characteristics that also make it a longer disc for me. It's more HSS and LSS than the P, especially the stiffer Ps there I prefer to throw (I actually couldn't really properly compare the softer P-PDs to stuff any longer because it has been quite a while since I have thrown one and my throw is better than it was back then) while being less stable in both ways than the S-PD.

Fresh P-PD: Turns too hard and too fast with a fair amount of anhyzer and doesn't fight back enough, requiring more height and left-to-right room for extra distance
Fresh S-PD: Too stable in general, fights out of the anhyzer too fast and fades harder
Seasoned S-PD: Similar to the C-TD like Mike mentioned, I used to have a seasoned champystar one just like the one he has and it was indeed good for the TDesque flight. I did feel like it was a little easier to flip too far though

I can throw the TD with a fair amount of anhyzer and have it still reliably take a slow-turning flight and come back at the end without needing a ton of left-right room to do so. I *can* do the same thing with PDs but less reliably; just a guess but I'd say that if I could get that max distance line just right with a PD 2/10 times I could do it 5/10 with the TD.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby bill » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:40 pm

discspeed wrote:

The PD is more disc than those two put together. I like the TD because it imitates my year-seasoned champystar SPD and is easier to replace. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything a variation of the PD can't.

if you have a pd, if it's a S-PD, i don't know why you would ever drop it to try any other stable long range driver. i've had my favorite 172 neon yellow in the bag for close to a year and have played with it every round i've played and it's still my head wind driver and really my longest driver. in a head wind it's straight as can be and only flips over when i screw up.

discspeed, does your seasoned S-PD finish straight like a new C-TD, even if you power down or if there's no headwind?
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby JimW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:42 pm

When Discspeed and I were looking through the stack of C-TDs last week we noticed that the yellows were a lower PLH than the oranges and merlots we looked at (I bought a 172g orange). I went back the other day to pick out a lighter weight yellow so I'd also have a less stable one to throw but in doing so I noticed that all the lighter yellows (marked 168g) had the same PLH as the more stable TDs. While sifting through the stack and comparing PLHs I also found a bunch of domier oranges and merlots (mostly merlots I think) that had lower PLH so there doesn't seem to be any consistency among colors in this particular run. I ended up grabbing a lower PLH 172g yellow (oddly enough the less stable yellows seem to have the same dome as the normal TDs like the orange I previously bought) but I wonder if those domey ones with lower PLH might be even longer due to extra glide.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby discspeed » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 pm

bill wrote:
discspeed wrote:

if you have a pd, if it's a S-PD, i don't know why you would ever drop it to try any other stable long range driver. i've had my favorite 172 neon yellow in the bag for close to a year and have played with it every round i've played and it's still my head wind driver and really my longest driver. in a head wind it's straight as can be and only flips over when i screw up.

discspeed, does your seasoned S-PD finish straight like a new C-TD, even if you power down or if there's no headwind?

Yes, it does finish straight. It has a little less movement in it's flight than the CTD, but otherwise it's a very similar flight. The beat PD flips slower as well, which is why it has a straighter flightpath. It is a year old 175 red champystar SPD that had a little high speed turn out of the box. It is a little more understable than my CTD as well.

There is no way I'm taking that disc out of my bag (It's got a $100 ace on it as well :P ). I just live in a place where lost discs happen frequently, so I like having a CTD to throw on some of the risky shots. If I lose that SPD it will be a long time before I can get another PD to that spot. PPDs aren't the same either. The beat SPD has some turn and fade to work with, where the Ps are almost too straight.

As I throw the CTD some more I think I will start to notice more differences between it and my beat PDs and it will have it's own merit in my bag. It's only been the last year or so that I've not carried a driver with an "L" or convex bevel in my bag (I've used Sidewinders, Roadrunners, and OLSs). I miss them because they've got advantages over the concave bevel in a lot of situations...Particularly their ability to turn over and recover across speeds. Anyway, I think the CTD is going to stick where those others never did. Of the STDs I've thrown now, one was a whole step more stable than my CTDs and the other was a whole step less stable. All I've tried have been 175.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Booter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:37 am

So ive been loving my tds alot lately,ive been turning lots of people to discmania stuff,mainly pds n tds. For now im carrying a ctd,beat std,beat spd, cpd. I love the 4 ,they all fly different enough to cover everything.

Im going to order some production ctds,how bad is the slanted inner rim? I coulda swore i read that it wasnt as bad as the tb + or roc + but i cant find that.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment