Go with the FLOW

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Go with the FLOW

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 pm

discspeed wrote:When the SPD2 comes out I'll be all over that and I anticipate it will fill that gap perfectly, especially when a little seasoned.
If it comes out. They showed more interest in the idea of a P-TD than an S-PD2...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:40 pm

I just weighed my new GL Flow...I forgot to weight it at the store. The sticker said 175, but after throwing some tailwind bombs that seemed to glide forever yesterday I suspected it may be a little light. Surprisingly it was 175.6g. That's not a weight I would have picked out to be a good tailwind disc for me, but I'll take it. Even better, at that weight it's going to fly similarly across wind conditions.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:44 pm

jubuttib wrote:
discspeed wrote:When the SPD2 comes out I'll be all over that and I anticipate it will fill that gap perfectly, especially when a little seasoned.
If it comes out. They showed more interest in the idea of a P-TD than an S-PD2...

PTD might be sick...but an SPD2 would be even better. It's such a nice mold, it's a shame that it's going to take forever to break in a Champion one. That's the only reason I want them in S. Oh well. It will happen eventually I'm sure. Especially since I predict a good deal of the Innova touring pros will be taking a liking to them.
discspeed

Postby what'shisname » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:40 pm

discspeed wrote:I just weighed my new GL Flow...I forgot to weight it at the store. The sticker said 175, but after throwing some tailwind bombs that seemed to glide forever yesterday I suspected it may be a little light. Surprisingly it was 175.6g. That's not a weight I would have picked out to be a good tailwind disc for me, but I'll take it. Even better, at that weight it's going to fly similarly across wind conditions.

I haven't had a chance to get into a field to really play with my flows yet (still snow on the ground) but the couple times I've tried a downwind shot with my GL it didn't perform very well. I have much better results throwing slower discs like a Vision or a River downwind. Am I wrong to assume that the speed of the disc plays a bigger role with headwind/tailwind situations than weight?
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:59 pm

discspeed wrote:
jubuttib wrote:

PTD might be sick...but an SPD2 would be even better. It's such a nice mold, it's a shame that it's going to take forever to break in a Champion one. That's the only reason I want them in S. Oh well. It will happen eventually I'm sure. Especially since I predict a good deal of the Innova touring pros will be taking a liking to them.

P-TD might be sick, that's why I suggested it. They said that they're going to release the D-TD at some point this year, but they're considering the P-TD as well.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JimW » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:09 pm

D-TD interests me in theory but chances are it's going to mold up less stable than the Cs which would really limit its lifespan.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:27 pm

It'd be an out of the box flippy driver, similar to DX Sidewinder etc. There's a place for that sort of disc, but it's not going to be a game changer.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby turso » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:32 pm

The d-td will be a fun disc, but nothing an advanced player will keep in his bag I'm guessing, for sure will have fun with it. Sorry to go off-topic, but I love me some flows. I have a couple of opto pink max weights that are dead straight to 400-430', and a GL that's practically as HSS. Love em!
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby emiller3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:41 am

I'm setting aside my Flows for now. I may go back to them, but here was my thought process:

Got in my domey 173 GL Flow, found that it was not stable enough to be a headwind/forehand max D driver even at my altitude. Darn.

Picked up a Z Force to fill the void. Dang, this thing flies straighter than I thought...easy to get to 400' on a flat w/fade or hyzer line.

Ok, I guess my Flows will just be for wide open max D then. But wait, I just put a little OAT on that Force and it flew 450', just as far as my Flows. And when it beats in... But it needed a little more left/right space to get there.

So, I guess I need to start working my Flows for max D on tighter courses. Can I shape a line with my Flows? Can I minimize the fade if I need to? Well...kind of. But when I fail, I'm pretty far off the beaten path. Probably not worth it, I'm much better with Eagles at 400'.

Ok, maybe I'll just stick to Eagles for anything that requires some shaping, and Forces for anything out in the open. But you know, I can shape a Valk similarly to an Eagle and still get a little more distance. Maybe I'll throw my champy Stars back in the bag, I love the feel of those.

Wait, I just threw that Valk 470'.

RIP Flows.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby turso » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:45 am

Cool story bro.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby emiller3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah, your post about your pink Opto Flows being super straight was much more insightful :lol:
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:13 am

emiller3 wrote:I'm setting aside my Flows for now. I may go back to them, but here was my thought process:

Got in my domey 173 GL Flow, found that it was not stable enough to be a headwind/forehand max D driver even at my altitude. Darn.

Picked up a Z Force to fill the void. Dang, this thing flies straighter than I thought...easy to get to 400' on a flat w/fade or hyzer line.

Ok, I guess my Flows will just be for wide open max D then. But wait, I just put a little OAT on that Force and it flew 450', just as far as my Flows. And when it beats in... But it needed a little more left/right space to get there.

So, I guess I need to start working my Flows for max D on tighter courses. Can I shape a line with my Flows? Can I minimize the fade if I need to? Well...kind of. But when I fail, I'm pretty far off the beaten path. Probably not worth it, I'm much better with Eagle/ at 400'.

Ok, maybe I'll just stick to Eagles for anything that requires some shaping, and Forces for anything out in the open. But you know, I can shape a Valk similarly to an Eagle and still get a little more distance. Maybe I'll throw my champy Stars back in the bag, I love the feel of those.

Wait, I just threw that Valk 470'.

RIP Flows.

That might make sense in your head... :-? I can't see how you compare a Flow to a Force, Valk, or Eagle. The Flow should not be competing in any way with any of those discs. The Force requires a completely different throwing style (flat and hard) than a Flow (smooth/hyzer)...Two similar speed discs couldn't be more different. The Flow has a similar flight line to a Valk, only it has to fly 50'+ farther to show it. Otherwise the Flow is many steps faster. The Eagle is as close to an Ion as it is to a Flow. Minimalism can be taken too far...symptoms include comparing very different discs for the same slot. :lol:
discspeed

Postby emiller3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:49 am

Either I'm not being clear, you guys are blinded by your Flow love, or (most likely) both :wink: . I'm not trying to pick a fight with Flow throwers, just trying to explain why I can't find a place for the Flow in my bag.

Let me try again. I can throw the Flow very far on open fields and on low lines. Good. But when I've got OB left (LHBH), I get nervous that it will flip and won't come back. I also can't reliably throw it in a headwind, or overhand, or forehand, which are all important to me. With the Force, I can still throw very far on open fields, plus I have the confidence that I can anny it or OAT it and I know it's coming back, and it's great for forehands, overhands and headwinds.

So, when am I going to use the Flow for max D? Maybe on a hole with OB right, dogleg left, or just a tight fairway in general. My experience has been that I'm better off discing down to an Eagle and staying on the fairway in those cases. The Valk has always been a very workable and forgiving distance disc for me, so I'd considering throwing it as well.

I re-read my post...I don't see where you think I was comparing the flight of those discs. I thought it was clear that I was contrasting them, and from a very general shot-making perspective vice your typical disc-testing perspective. In fact, some of the differences you mention are exactly what I thought I was conveying. I must not have been clear.

And minimalism isn't an issue here, I'm replacing 2 Flows with 2 Valks and a Force...

The only reason I can think of right now that would make me put the Flows back in the bag is if I'm getting significantly better D with them than the Force or Valk. I know that I get more D with it than the Valk, but I'm on the fairway a lot more with the Valk, so is it worth it? That's what I aim to find out.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am

403' s-curve so nice!!! Long annies too to 390' which i think is my anny record for a non 150 classer and reliable flexing out of the anny even out of more than just a few degrees. Meaning it is controllable in various anny angles for me and loooong. Surprisingly long for the rim width. It's sneaky long in s-curves just like people are surprised by TLs on s-curves except scaled up in speed and D. Not that long today for some reason on flat throws like my Beast. Something has changed in my throwing because i don't flip Rocs any more and Beasts and Flows act a little more LSS than before. Other discs not changing much except for all mids going longer on average and good D out of warp speed discs. And fewer flips and of less magnitude than ever before.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 am

I've been throwing my Halo's and Flow's quite a bit more lately and I think I might change them up a little on my flight guide. I still think the "good" opto Flow's are some of the straightest long distance drivers I've ever thrown but I've been noticing a little bit of high speed turn and a fairly hefty fade at the very end lately. Nose angle has been a bitch for me with the Flow, you mess that up and give it any sort of nose up and you can say hello airball. I also can't believe the variation I've been seeing in the Gold Lines, I've got one that's as stable or more over stable than my prized Opto and I've got a pretty blue Gold Line that's flippier than a DX sidewinder.

Since the snow let up i've been throwing my Halo and Flow side by side every time I use one or the other and i'm quite pleased with both of their performances. For level ground and inclined shots I think i'm digging my 160-169g range Halo's more for D, but if there's any kind of decline in elevation to the shot It's definitely Flow time. I wouldn't say there's any sort of significant advantage that one has over the other in distance but the Halo is definitely taking up more side to side room on a drive. I finished the season last year thinking the Flow was the clear distance winner for me over my Halo's, now... I'm not so sure...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment