Go with the FLOW

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Go with the FLOW

Postby Booter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:52 pm

being an orc thrower and owning a dozen and a half sb orcs,i wish you hadn't made the flow sound like magic,mike. However,that won't keep my from buyin em!
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby peppermack » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:55 pm

My Birthday is next week, Someone wans to send me one of the Opto Flows :D
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby emiller3 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:52 pm

I hyzer flip my Destroyers for max D. Sometimes I get them turned over and get a nice some nice fade back, resulting in a very long throw (420'ish) that ends up right where I aim. Other times I don't quite get enough juice on it and it flips up but not over, resulting in a very straight throw that fades too hard and ends up well off the fairway (390'ish). The difference is significant and, I assume, inherent to a wide rimmed driver that's going to be very LSS. It's why I still rely on my Eagles for any hole where accuracy matters.

I know the problem is with my consistency, not the disc, but I'm all for something that would be more forgiving or consistent in this regard. Is the Flow going to put me on the fairway more often than the Destroyer? I hear faster Orc and see the +1 LSS and I start thinking the answer is yes...
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 pm

emiller3 wrote:I know the problem is with my consistency, not the disc, but I'm all for something that would be more forgiving or consistent in this regard. Is the Flow going to put me on the fairway more often than the Destroyer? I hear faster Orc and see the +1 LSS and I start thinking the answer is yes...

I would lean towards yes. Like I stated a few posts ago though I caught myself strong arming a shot with my Opto Flow and it was a very different flight path than a well snapped drive. You're the biggest part of the shot, but I would still say you will stay on tighter lines inside the fairway with the Flow.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:02 pm

emiller3 wrote:I hyzer flip my Destroyers for max D. Sometimes I get them turned over and get a nice some nice fade back, resulting in a very long throw (420'ish) that ends up right where I aim. Other times I don't quite get enough juice on it and it flips up but not over, resulting in a very straight throw that fades too hard and ends up well off the fairway (390'ish). The difference is significant and, I assume, inherent to a wide rimmed driver that's going to be very LSS. It's why I still rely on my Eagles for any hole where accuracy matters.

I know the problem is with my consistency, not the disc, but I'm all for something that would be more forgiving or consistent in this regard. Is the Flow going to put me on the fairway more often than the Destroyer? I hear faster Orc and see the +1 LSS and I start thinking the answer is yes...

Yes...It is much more forgiving than the Destroyer. My Opto Flow easily does what I carried two Destroyers to do when I threw them.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Postby turso » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:37 pm

shit shit shit! I've had the flow for almost a week now and hadn't had the chance to throw it! And now when it seems like it's going to be a replacement for my destros that sometimes I lose touch with, or just act funny when throw, I'm itching to order more even though I haven't tried it yet...

Gotta get up early tomorrow and go throw a few tosses and hope I can find the thing after that.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby vtbuzzz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Turso if it makes you feel better I took mine to a field and threw it right into some brush and poof on my third throw it disappeared

Hiking is just walking where its ok to pee
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby bill » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12 pm

discspeed can you compare the HSS/LSS of the both opto and goldline to a S-PD? i know the pd's range quite a bit, i have a yellow, 172, S-PD that is really straight for me and i would hate to buy the opto flow if it's too stable.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Spike » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:50 am

After I removed the flash on the Opto Flow, it lost some h.s.s and became quite similar to Rogue/Surge SS, but with even better glide. Now it spends a lot of airtime going sideways instead of straight. Too much sideways action and it lose distance. I think Destroyer will go farther for me now, but I’ve been looking for a specific s-disc, and I think I may have found it in Flow.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby discspeed » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 am

Spike wrote:After I removed the flash on the Opto Flow, it lost some h.s.s and became quite similar to Rogue/Surge SS, but with even better glide. Now it spends a lot of airtime going sideways instead of straight. Too much sideways action and it lose distance. I think Destroyer will go farther for me now, but I’ve been looking for a specific s-disc, and I think I may have found it in Flow.

Just throw it with a little hyzer and it will fly straight without turning over.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:25 am

bill wrote:discspeed can you compare the HSS/LSS of the both opto and goldline to a S-PD? i know the pd's range quite a bit, i have a yellow, 172, S-PD that is really straight for me and i would hate to buy the opto flow if it's too stable.

If you are worried about it being too stable, get a Goldline, it's definitely the least stable of the two. Obviously the Flow is a little more speed sensitive, but I would compare the Opto (I only have heavies) to a seasoned regular S-PD, or a newish champy star S-PD in terms of HSS and LSS. The Goldline is more like a P-PD...When I throw it hard it flips and does not come back, but with some touch/hyzer it flips up and flies very straight.

Keep in mind that when I talk about this disc I'm throwing it with 400' of power, but I'm also probably throwing the most stable incarnations of the disc (heavy and domey). I think lighter weight(170) GL Flows would probably work for 350' throwers.
discspeed

Postby BLURR » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:48 am

peppermack wrote:My Birthday is next week, Someone wans to send me one of the Opto Flows :D

I might have an Opto I could trade ya for your birthday...
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby BLURR » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 am

bill wrote:discspeed can you compare the HSS/LSS of the both opto and goldline to a S-PD? i know the pd's range quite a bit, i have a yellow, 172, S-PD that is really straight for me and i would hate to buy the opto flow if it's too stable.

I would get the GoldLine. I got one of each and really like the GoldLine. Don't really care for the Opto. The opto I have flies just like my Z-Force that I have in my bag.

As for the GoldLine Flow, it might surpass the Assassin as the easiest disc I have thrown over 400. It seemed effortless yesterday.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby RS39 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:33 am

Anyone try them at varied weights?

If I like my Rivers 3-5gr heavier than my PDs, does this have any bearing on my Flow sample?
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby discspeed » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 am

BLURR wrote:
bill wrote: Don't really care for the Opto. The opto I have flies just like my Z-Force that I have in my bag.

Does it still have it's flashing?
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment