MD2

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MD2

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:45 am

jubuttib wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:I just picked up a 174 P MD2 on the domey and softer side. I was wondering if it would be worth it to try and flatten it out. What process did you go through to do this? I've searched and found a few methods, but I'm afraid of messing it up.
I put it upside down on my kitchen worktop, poured in boiling water, put a plastic cutting board over to it cover it up, and put some weight over it (I think it was two phonebooks). It flattened, yes, but there's so much plastic in the flight plate that it just clovers like hell and is really floppy. You'd have to figure out a way to shrink it fast.

If I had access to liquid nitrogen, I'd first heat it up with boiling water and then quickly cool it with the nitrogen, that's one of the few ways I can think of that could shrink it like I need it to.

I wonder if a sink full of of icewater would suffice. Right after removing the weight, submerge it into the ice...

You said that after flattening it (and after letting it cool?) you put more boiling water in it to let the dome settle back in a little and it worked out okay. Do you still have and like that particular disc for neutral mid shots?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:You said that after flattening it (and after letting it cool?) you put more boiling water in it to let the dome settle back in a little and it worked out okay. Do you still have and like that particular disc for neutral mid shots?
No, I said it flies understable. I haven't really thrown it much but it turns pretty darn easily now, but remains at least somewhat controllable. I'd need to test it more to be sure. It's more understable than any of my P-MD2's have been so far (I haven't managed to beat any of them in that much), my most beat D-MD2 is pretty similar.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 am

jubuttib wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:You said that after flattening it (and after letting it cool?) you put more boiling water in it to let the dome settle back in a little and it worked out okay. Do you still have and like that particular disc for neutral mid shots?
No, I said it flies understable. I haven't really thrown it much but it turns pretty darn easily now, but remains at least somewhat controllable. I'd need to test it more to be sure. It's more understable than any of my P-MD2's have been so far (I haven't managed to beat any of them in that much), my most beat D-MD2 is pretty similar.

I went through the process of flattening mine. After the first round with boiling water and weight, it turned out flat, but had 5 deep depression on the flight plate...as expected. I did what you did and put more boiling water back into the flight plate with the disc supported only on the edge so the dome could fill back in a little. It seemed to fill in a bit too much, and still felt like a floppy mess in my hands (after cooling). So I decided to try and flatten it again. This time I put it upside down in the microwave with some water in the plate to just get it warmed up. Then I went through the process of flattening it with boiling water and weight on top of a flat pan. Every 10 minutes I would remove the weight and slide the pan over so the suction wouldn't build up too much - which I GUESS is what helped cause the clovering. It worked, and now I have a flat P MD2 with only one tiny little depression in the flight plate. All the other depressions flattened out the second time around.

I'm going to a field later today to see how it flies. I'm hoping it will hold up well and stay flat. With winter coming, I think it might help the disc retain it's shape...we shall see.

EDIT: It flies quite nice. Stable, dependable fade, but holds the line you put it on sooo well. No high speed turn and a touch less glide than it probably had before I flattened it out. Thinking about ditching my GL Fuses for how well this handled turnover lines.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zj1002 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 am

my CFR C-line(shark top) has beaten straight. Flies almost identical to a fresh QMS now.

my opaque dayglow C-Line is still nice and stable. perfect compliment to the QMS

Can't wait for the D-line DGR MD2s. Curious if they get a bit more distance w/ the dx plastic
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Booter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:14 am

those slime green cmd2's were nice and stable for me when i threw them. you tried any of those anymore?
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby zj1002 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:21 am

I have thrown just about every color. With the new mold I definitely prefer the flat opaque ones. Some of the new runs are really stiff and domey
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby jubuttib » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:27 pm

zj1002 wrote:I have thrown just about every color. With the new mold I definitely prefer the flat opaque ones. Some of the new runs are really stiff and domey
The flat opaques are where it's at. I do have two really stiff domey pinks, and while they don't really fly like an MD2 should in my mind, I have used them to some considerable success. Just need to account for the lack of speed and harsher fade.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby zj1002 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:30 pm

yeah those stiff pinks seem to drop like bricks. They don't fly terribly, they just don't fly like the first few runs. The flat ones are just as stable but they cut through the air faster and the grip is awesome
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby jubuttib » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:34 pm

zj1002 wrote:yeah those stiff pinks seem to drop like bricks. They don't fly terribly, they just don't fly like the first few runs. The flat ones are just as stable but they cut through the air faster and the grip is awesome
I'd say that the flats are just as HSS but less LSS, the domey ones fade much more for me.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discspeed » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:05 pm

I keep forgetting to tell Climo that his beloved CFR CMD2 is not actually the production mold...I'm pretty sure he's unaware of this and I know he has thrown the newer ones with me and didn't think so much of them compared to the one in his bag.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby zj1002 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I asked Millennium if they would run the QMS with the micro-bead but that probably won't happen. I get the feeling I won't find many more of these. No one is willing to give them up and/or knows that the CFR ones are no longer in production
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby jubuttib » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:01 pm

discspeed wrote:I keep forgetting to tell Climo that his beloved CFR CMD2 is not actually the production mold...I'm pretty sure he's unaware of this and I know he has thrown the newer ones with me and didn't think so much of them compared to the one in his bag.
I think he's going to like the flat production ones none the less...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby zj1002 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:05 pm

C-MD2 - stock overstable
CFR proto MD2 - hyzer flip goodness
2 D-MD2 - beating up to replace my proto

anyone else get the feeling the MD2 is starting to reach Roc status. I have a steady rotation of md2s(and QMS) that works much better for me than the Roc's did(or maybe I got better)
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby jubuttib » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:09 pm

zj1002 wrote:C-MD2 - stock overstable
CFR proto MD2 - hyzer flip goodness
2 D-MD2 - beating up to replace my proto

anyone else get the feeling the MD2 is starting to reach Roc status. I have a steady rotation of md2s(and QMS) that works much better for me than the Roc's did(or maybe I got better)
Yep. Pretty much the first thing that popped to my mind after I managed to beat in my first D-MD2 a bit was "I'm going to have about 5 of these in rotation if things go on like this..."
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm doing the same thing. The distance potential and range of possible lines between C and D MD2's is amazing. My only other mid is a brick...uhh I mean 175 CFR Gator.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment