MD2

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MD2

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:11 am

Now I've tried 2 different colors/domes of new production CMD2s and they are both overstable...Just about as overstable as my Vectors. I like Climo's disc(USDGC CMD2), but I'm starting to think his is the exception rather than the norm for CMD2s. It would take at least a year of use to beat the heavy fade out of a new one. I'm going to compare parting lines on the remaining colors I've yet to try. If I don't find a noticeably lower PLH than the ones I've thrown I'm not going to bother to test any more of this run. I will try each new run though as this mold does have the capacity to be great.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jubuttib » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 am

... As overstable as your Vectors? Now I just simply don't buy that. New C-MD2s are definitely somewhat overstable, but nothing like Vectors...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Destin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 am

I have been comparing my new Vector (175 green and pancake flat) and new C-MD2 (yellow 176 and domey) for the past week and I don't think either one is overstable. They are very different discs but I like both of them. They both fly straight for me (the Vector only goes straight at full power). I need to throw the C-MD2 some more but I had a nice straight drive (around 80% power with very slight fade) with it on a 220 ft hole that I birdied on Sunday. To compare I have a P-MD2 that is understable for me and not in the bag (because I prefer the Fuse and Comet). My new C-PD however is very overstable and therefore won't replace my P-PD.
Champ Destroyer/X Nuke/Champ Beast/GL Flow/Vector/Buzzzes/Med Ion
Destin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:00 am

jubuttib wrote:... As overstable as your Vectors? Now I just simply don't buy that. New C-MD2s are definitely somewhat overstable, but nothing like Vectors...

I believe I said "just about"...The CMD2s hold an anny a little easier and fades a little more forward, but it's still much more overstable than say a new Z Buzzz. I could not get them to stay flat from a flat release on a 300' shot for more than 60-70% of the flight. Even when I was throwing them flat at full power they would not lock on and fly straight for very long before pulling left. Climo threw them as well with similar results. He said that his USDGC CMD2 was never anywhere near that overstable, even when brand new.

The 2 I tested were a pale greenish color (177 and domey) and a CE yellow (178.5 and flat). The domey one was a touch more overstable.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:02 am

The other 2 colors I know we have that I haven't tested yet are merlot and bright orange. Has anyone else thrown these? Were they overstable?
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Threw my C-MD2s today while testing out the Vectors, and while the flat Vector is noticeably straighter than the others, the C-MD2 is much easier to keep straight, and fades way less. On a hyzer line it does cover a lot of ground sideways.

The C-Lines are totally different from the P-Lines which are my true love, but they definitely fly very nicely and if they lose LSS before HSS as they beat they'll be my most used mid after a couple of months. The 4 5 0 2 rating does suit a new one pretty well, where as the good P-Lines are much closer to 4 5 0 1 when new (bad ones usually have some turn).

I only have two pink ones from the new run (flatter, gummy) and an early CFR (yellow, domey, also thrown an orange domey one), and neither are anywhere near Vector overstability.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby GarrettDN » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 am

I have a 180g S-MD2 and it is perfect. Highly flip resistant (330+ throws) and has mako-like LSS, maybe just a touch more.
I just snagged a Merlot opaque, an orange clear-ish, and a pink opaque C-MD2. I got the pink one because I read that the team guys wanted those, so I wanted to see what the hype was all about :)
I've only thrown the pink one. Both of the opaque discs are flatter. The pink-C-MD2 is just a touch more HSS and LSS than the S-MD2 I am thinking about having babies with.
I am very confident that after those first few good, hard tree shots it will be pretty darn close to the S-MD2.

They aren't approaching Shark stability by any stretch at all. Much straighter. Muuuuch less fade, and it comes way later in flight.

It seems like the clear Champ style plastics are more LSS as a general rule. But that's just my observation.
GarrettDN
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:39 pm

GarrettDN wrote:I have a 180g S-MD2 and it is perfect. Highly flip resistant (330+ throws) and has mako-like LSS, maybe just a touch more.
I just snagged a Merlot opaque, an orange clear-ish, and a pink opaque C-MD2. I got the pink one because I read that the team guys wanted those, so I wanted to see what the hype was all about :)
I've only thrown the pink one. Both of the opaque discs are flatter. The pink-C-MD2 is just a touch more HSS and LSS than the S-MD2 I am thinking about having babies with.
I am very confident that after those first few good, hard tree shots it will be pretty darn close to the S-MD2.

They aren't approaching Shark stability by any stretch at all. Much straighter. Muuuuch less fade, and it comes way later in flight.

It seems like the clear Champ style plastics are more LSS as a general rule. But that's just my observation.
Nice... I took the flash off of one of my pink C-MD2s and it finishes straighter now. If these don't lose HSS as they beat they're going to be the cornerstone of my game.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:02 pm

jubuttib wrote:Nice... I took the flash off of one of my pink C-MD2s and it finishes straighter now. If these don't lose HSS as they beat they're going to be the cornerstone of my game.
... Suffice to say "Everything went better than expected"...

It. Is. SO. GOOD.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby ChaseTheAce » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:12 pm

anybody looking to sell their CMD2s PM me before I order new ones
ChaseTheAce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby jaydub803 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:47 pm

I bought a new merlot 174g cmd2 to try out and have used it in three rounds this week. It really needs some time getting beat on to kill the low speed fade because right now I can either drive it about 50 feet further than my usual mid (kc pro roc in 175-178) because of the great glide, or I have to use it for only left hanging shots (rhbh) because although the initial flight is the same as a roc, unless you loft it with some anny the left side tips down pretty quick. I have played these rounds with that as my only mid replacing a kc pro roc and a champion shark. I already got rid of some of my rocs because this is truly a better stable mid in build, feel and flight in my opinion. The only thing is I hope it gets beat into a better flipper, because I can control the shark so well on straight to right turning shots at any range just using release angle. Its definitely less overstable than any of the champ rocs I have or have thrown, and I think with the "micro " bead design it will probably get even more glide as it wears in. The one I have is very glossy and translucent plastic, and is moderately domed, it has round edges but the whole middle is flat. I am gonna hang onto my shark with this til it beats, or maybe even get my champ mako back in to get the right handers in.
Build a bag a day and keep the boredom at bay!
jaydub803
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion shark

Postby Ryan C » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:51 pm

I had two C-Lines that were the Big-D stamped ones, and they were super beefy overstable when new. I can definitely believe what Discspeed is saying. Mine had considerable flash on the bead though, so removing that helped a little. I sold them before I ever threw them enough to see significant change.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:11 am

jubuttib wrote:
jubuttib wrote:Nice... I took the flash off of one of my pink C-MD2s and it finishes straighter now. If these don't lose HSS as they beat they're going to be the cornerstone of my game.
... Suffice to say "Everything went better than expected"...

It. Is. SO. GOOD.

I'm thinking the team likes the pink ones because they are the least overstable. FWIW, I deflashed all the ones I tested and they were still flying 9/10 as overstable as my Vectors...Being a little faster they would go with the direction of my anhyzer release a little more before coming back, making them a little more workably overstable than my Vectors. They were definitely overstable though.

I still see a lot of potential in this mold. However...Currently we don't have PMD2s, the S's don't glide that well, and the Champs are too overstable. I will come back to this mold in the future where hopefully some run variation will take care of the above issues with either the S or C.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:29 am

I'm worried about the next run of P-MD2, it's going to be in a regular Pro-type blend instead of the R-Pro-type like the first ones. Could be good, could be bad, won't be like the orange ones.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jaydub803 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:43 am

th newer pmd2 feels like a pro dd or dd2 to me, has the same sound and feel when you thump it. I think the one I held was the newest run. It definitely is nothing like my first run pmd2, which was almost like star plastic.
Build a bag a day and keep the boredom at bay!
jaydub803
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion shark

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment