An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Trey133 wrote:I am finding that I really like the way a predator breaks in. It seems you can cycle predators through wear (although it takes a while to break them in) to cover all of your stable to overstable fairway driver spots. This is good for mold minimalism.

If any of you guys feel that your trusty z pred is not so trusty at going left anymore, send it over to me. I'll make use of it.

This was the beauty of the X Pred, new it flew like a seasoned Z Pred, once beat: a thing of beauty.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Wyno » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Mine are 172-174. in addition to the reasons already mentioned, I love to use mine as a bulldozer, for getting out of trouble or when the best line has a high probability of hitting twigs. hardly see a scratch on the brutes and they seem to hold the line better than anything else (unless you deflect off a trunk that is, if a pred gets off course it'll get you in deep trouble, for the same reason :))
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:49 pm

I have 10 or so Z preds and 5 or 6 ESP preds. I have been throwing them since 06. The one pictured in my avatar is thrashed. I can power it down well (and its still goes straight for the majority of its flight) throw it nuts straight with very little fade into a headwind, and it rarely even thinks about turning. Its a 173. I also carry a newer (not to new anymore) Orange Z pred for spike hyzers and super windy shots. I have the ESP's cause they fly a lot like my super thrashed pred, but have been keeping the Z in this season.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

I dropped my FBs for Preds about 3-4 months ago and never looked back. I find the FB a little more comfortable on FH releases, but overall the Pred is way more useful thanks to the whole forward penetration while slowing down thing and the fact that they have great glide for an overstable disc. I've only got a handful right now...a few Zs from 2008, a few new pearly Zs, and 1 ESP (all 172+). Ther newer run pearlies ae what I throw on a regular basis...fairly flat and will turn slightly into a headwind. I also have a high-PLH Z Pred (opaque orange) where the nose is almost 2mm higher than the current runs -- freakishly overstable!

Anybody here know why discraft hasn't made any glo z preds yet?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 pm

I would like to hear some comparison between Preds and Flicks. I have both, and the Flick just feels more comfortable to me. I know the Flick is faster, but I really don't have much experience with either.
"I don't know who started it and I don't give a f***. The one thing I do know is that we did it harder, we did it faster, and we definitely did it with more love, baby. You can't take that away from us." - Stevo, SLC Punk
Mad Scientist
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby keltik » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:*takes off pants*

close the door.

*loosens jaw*....hey wait a second!!!! I'm not falling for this again!!!
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby fanter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:37 pm

I only have one Pred, it's a well-worn ESP. The thing still has great HSS and very little LSS. It's a beautifully straight disc. I can see using multiple ESPs in varying stages and a Z for the really overstable stuff to cover most, if not all, fairway shots (like Trey said). In fact, I'd probably do that if I didn't also love Eagles.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:I would like to hear some comparison between Preds and Flicks. I have both, and the Flick just feels more comfortable to me. I know the Flick is faster, but I really don't have much experience with either.

Flicks will turn quite a bit if thrown hard into a stiff wind and glide much less than preds, flicks are much better for overhands imo but id pick a pred for almost any other shot......I can probly get a flick a bit further on a fh though
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby TechnoHic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Oh man, I love Preds.

My Z is quite overstable and I use it for my OH. Its not . My ESP is more like a Teebird with a harder fade. Then I have 2 X Preds in the bag looking to see how they beat in and what else they can do. and thats just in my bag. I got an FLX as a spare that I want to field test and see what its like and 5 other X Preds as spares and I will look to get some spares for the ESP and Z
TechnoHic
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 pm

I miss x preds
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:43 am

All you need to know is that this disc is legit and you need to own one. If you don't have the arm or use for it now keep thinking and throwing it will graduate out of overstable get out of trouble disc to a versatile stroke saver.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby TechnoHic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:29 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I miss x preds

They had them at Marshall Street as recent as last week. Thats where I stocked up on them.
TechnoHic
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:51 am

They have about 16 dyed X Preds at the moment.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Wyno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 am

hmmm, I can get my hands on at least 10 brand new x-preds, should last until DC decides to do another run right? how long do they last (how beat before they're useless), do they lose lss first, and how are they different from z preds when new?
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby victorb » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:28 am

Wyno wrote:hmmm, I can get my hands on at least 10 brand new x-preds, should last until DC decides to do another run right? how long do they last (how beat before they're useless), do they lose lss first, and how are they different from z preds when new?

10 new Z preds could likely last you the rest of your disc golfing career - especially if they are the flatter, more HSS of the runs. The domey ones are pretty awesome as well. Sort of like a more LSS, faster eagle. 10 new X predators won't last till DC does a new run though - since they haven't produced them as long as I've been throwing the disc iirc. Try to find some domey Z preds instead, they are easier to come by at this point and will likely be easier to find in the future...I've never been one to recommend buying plastic that is out of production.

I put my first predator in the bag back in 2008, it's just now getting to the point that it isn't my go to headwind disc. I put a fresh one in the bag in November. I figure the old one has at least another 5 or so years before it becomes flippy. In terms of how they wear in, they are similar to most other champ/z plastic wear patterns - they lose HSS first. This only will make a good worn in predator a more versatile disc than a brand new one. X Predators have a similar wear pattern - except you will see more LSS loss as they wear. A beat X Predator will be more of a hyzerflip to straight or turnover type disc from the little experience I have throwing them.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment