An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Postby TechnoHic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 am

Wyno wrote:hmmm, I can get my hands on at least 10 brand new x-preds, should last until DC decides to do another run right? how long do they last (how beat before they're useless), do they lose lss first, and how are they different from z preds when new?

I havent beat mine in much yet, but I would assume they last about as long as anything close to their speed in X plastic would, and it largely depends on the terrain of the courses you play and how many trees or other hard objects you hit.

I have 7 of the Xs available now and they are a bit domier than ESP and are not quite as HSS but still really straight and have about as good of fade when new with maybe just a little more glide. And they still so far seem like the ESP and Z where they just dont seem to be affected much by wind.

I really need to get some more ESP and Zs because I hope by the time Im out of X Preds, they either decided to make more (which seeing as they went X Nuke supposedly because of the economy, makes this sound like a good idea) or my ESP and Z Preds start getting beat in by then.
TechnoHic
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Wyno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 am

thanks guys
victorb wrote: X Predators have a similar wear pattern - except you will see more LSS loss as they wear. A beat X Predator will be more of a hyzerflip to straight or turnover type disc from the little experience I have throwing them.

this was what I hoped for, can anyone confirm?

tecnohic wrote: I hope by the time Im out of X Preds, they either decided to make more (which seeing as they went X Nuke supposedly because of the economy, makes this sound like a good idea) or my ESP and Z Preds start getting beat in by then.

that's what I was thinking, anyway i'm not too concerned about oop discs, who knows what I'll be needing in a couple of years :)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby Fizzy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 pm

JR wrote:All you need to know is that this disc is legit and you need to own one. If you don't have the arm or use for it now keep thinking and throwing it will graduate out of overstable get out of trouble disc to a versatile stroke saver.

Another nice thing about this disc is that you don't necessarily "need the arm" for it. If you want to throw long backhand drives with it then, yes, you need the arm. But, otherwise, it's still awesome for all sorts of skip shots, flicks, low hyzers, overhand shots, etc...
Wizard - Aviar - Roc - Leopard - PD - Predator - Wraith?
ForeverBlue232 wrote:It's probably a disc rated 12/7/-5/8. It will go roller and then when the fade kicks in, it will pop back up into the air and fade on you. hehehe
Fizzy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:04 am

Fizzy wrote:
JR wrote:All you need to know is that this disc is legit and you need to own one. If you don't have the arm or use for it now keep thinking and throwing it will graduate out of overstable get out of trouble disc to a versatile stroke saver.

Another nice thing about this disc is that you don't necessarily "need the arm" for it. If you want to throw long backhand drives with it then, yes, you need the arm. But, otherwise, it's still awesome for all sorts of skip shots, flicks, low hyzers, overhand shots, etc...

Which is why everyone serious about their game needs to try this disc on all shots. Even if you don't throw far. If you do you can do even more with it which is even better. So even for new players it will grow on you probably more than you realize now. As an overall overstable disc for other duties as well this is a great king of jack of most trades contender. There may be a combination of discs that can do most if not all of what Z Preds do great even better but i would not bet against the Pred having a chance of being the best disc for one or more roles for a great portion of throwers. At least in some point in their progress as a player. With that said a 200' thrower has very little use for Z Preds at max weight.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cfair » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:26 am

I think Eric McCabe carries 3 (one new, one seasoned, and one super beat) to cover his fairway needs. But then he does have an Avenger SS for turnovers and rollers. Could you imagine having the snap to turn over even a super beat pred?
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby SirRaph » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 am

cfair wrote:I think Eric McCabe carries 3 (one new, one seasoned, and one super beat) to cover his fairway needs. But then he does have an Avenger SS for turnovers and rollers. Could you imagine having the snap to turn over even a super beat pred?

How about Robbie Bratton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iff8S0Q-DAY

Turning over brand new ESP Preds.
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby SirRaph » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:48 am

Fizzy wrote:

Especially if you find the right weight for you. I usually throw max weight for fairway drivers, but use Preds in the 167-170g range. I do keep a 175g flat Pred in the bag for skip shots, OH rollers and hurricane force headwinds though.
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:19 am

cfair wrote:I think Eric McCabe carries 3 (one new, one seasoned, and one super beat) to cover his fairway needs. But then he does have an Avenger SS for turnovers and rollers. Could you imagine having the snap to turn over even a super beat pred?

I have a beat Z pred that will track right for most of it's flight before hyzering out. It is really really beat though.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby dgdave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:27 am

SirRaph wrote:

This is exactly what I was gonna post, but ya beat me to it.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:37 am

dgdave wrote:
SirRaph wrote:

This is exactly what I was gonna post, but ya beat me to it.

I think it's been said on here before but I don't think he is "turning over" but instead throwing with a bit of anny. Either way, he clearly has a ton of snap to keep the pred in the turn for that long.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby dgdave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:42 am

Yup. Even with a bit of anny, its crazy that it will hold that line all the way to the ground.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 am

I love Z Preds. I must admit that honestly the only reason I stopped throwing them was because I lost my beautifully beat one. I threw that disc for pretty much 90% of my Pred shots (and up to 60% of my tee shots altogether). When I lost it I spent a little time trying to find a replacement, but there have been so many runs of Preds over the years that there is a lot of variation. After failing to find a good replacement, I moved on. I'd have probably gone back to them by now if it were not for the PD. That Z Pred that I used to use a ton and lost was pretty much identical to a new/sllightly used S-PD, and I appreciate the PD starting out closer to the stability I want for my workhorse so that they are easier to replace if (when :wink: ) lost.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:44 am

Anyone that has seen him throw in person will tell you its more than "a bit" of anny. Not quite roller line but its a pretty solid anny angle upon release.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:47 am

discspeed wrote:I love Z Preds. I must admit that honestly the only reason I stopped throwing them was because I lost my beautifully beat one. I threw that disc for pretty much 90% of my Pred shots (and up to 60% of my tee shots altogether). When I lost it I spent a little time trying to find a replacement, but there have been so many runs of Preds over the years that there is a lot of variation. After failing to find a good replacement, I moved on. I'd have probably gone back to them by now if it were not for the PD. That Z Pred that I used to use a ton and lost was pretty much identical to a new/sllightly used S-PD, and I appreciate the PD starting out closer to the stability I want for my workhorse so that they are easier to replace if (when :wink: ) lost.

Similar situation here. It also helps that new orange flat C-PDs are pretty beefy.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby TechnoHic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:47 am

discspeed wrote:I love Z Preds. I must admit that honestly the only reason I stopped throwing them was because I lost my beautifully beat one. I threw that disc for pretty much 90% of my Pred shots (and up to 60% of my tee shots altogether). When I lost it I spent a little time trying to find a replacement, but there have been so many runs of Preds over the years that there is a lot of variation. After failing to find a good replacement, I moved on. I'd have probably gone back to them by now if it were not for the PD. That Z Pred that I used to use a ton and lost was pretty much identical to a new/sllightly used S-PD, and I appreciate the PD starting out closer to the stability I want for my workhorse so that they are easier to replace if (when :wink: ) lost.

Thats funny cause I had a similar situation. I lost my first Z Pred that was very opaque and I was one of those that hadnt had the arm for it entirely for a while, but had just started really enjoying it but had not had a spare at all. So when I went looking for them, I got 2 different Zs and they were entirely different discs. Way more overstable than my broken in ones. I was about to give up on them and move to another mold, but decided to try an ESP Pred even though Discraft has them rated the same as the Z as far as stability. It was love at first throw. Now, one of the Zs I had, I traded away and regret it, because the other one is breaking in quite nicely.

Its funny because I eventually got the arm for it but never though much about it other than I love throwing it on dog-leg holes; but a buddy of mine, after seeing me throw it on a couple of those said "Wow. You need to throw that disc all the time." So I started making more use of it in any situation I can and I just love it! Hence, while I now have 10 Preds in different plastic.
TechnoHic
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment