An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Postby Wyno » Fri May 06, 2011 3:59 pm

there's probably some overlap with c-pds, wich is why I've stayed away from those :-) I like the Pred too much. True about the difference vs Firebirds; Preds like to go straight for 80-90% of the flight, Firebirds start their fade earlier but fade more gradually (and from what I've seen they start to fight against an any release much earlier). Blake's talked about this and I think it still holds (Firebird is later labeled type 1 and Pred type 2):
blake t wrote:As of now, there are two types of overstable discs, discs that begin to turn left very quickly out of the hand and will hold a sharp left curve throughout their flight (I will call these type I overstable) whereas some discs will fly straight for the first half of their flight and finish with a strong left fade (I will call these type II overstable). Type I overstable discs will generally be a bit more predictable and be more useful for very sharp left curves and trick shots. Type II overstable discs will generally be better suited for straight drives into a headwind or for longer hyzer shots that require a less pronounced curve. Some harder throwing players (~380'+ distance) have enough power to use type II overstable discs as stable drivers but most average players will have difficulty controlling these discs when trying to throw straight. Which type you prefer will be based upon your throwing style and many people carry both types.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby sunspot » Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Just remember, the Pred is a true stable disc and the PD is not.

I'm really liking this disc, but I see what Discspeed says about some overlap with PDs. More testing will tell me what I need to do.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby colombo117 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:02 am

I am loving my Z-pred. I have had it for over a year and it is getting longer and longer. I have been throwing it 350ish with ease. I really like to give it a bit of anny and watch it just fly super straight for 80% of its flight, then it fades off to the left and skips a bit.

This disc also is just awesome at low line drive forehand shots. It just flies out of my hand and holds steady.

I prefer the pred over the C-PD, but I do carry a worn S-PD for my distance Driver, it performs the long anny-distance shot and hyzer flip well.

I have had my eye on a deep blue Z pred at my local disc supplier, I think I will go pick it up today.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby LumberJack » Fri May 13, 2011 11:37 pm

Stiff Z Preds with the small top/bottom stamp are where it is at. I pass on the gummier circle stamp Z preds.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby AbelRod » Sat May 14, 2011 7:44 am

Went to utopia yesterday and looked threw their uses discs, found a beat up old w/ the pdga stamp z pred and had to have it ($10 not $40), tested it out and so strait then hard left with some good d too. Im pretty sure this is going to replace my avenger...maybe
NUKE, Pred, XL, Comet, Buzzz, Challenger
AbelRod
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: comet

Postby SirRaph » Sat May 14, 2011 4:47 pm

So I've developed quite a collection of Preds, all but a couple are throwers. I'd heard that the DGA Tsunami is an early prototype mold for the Predator. Supposed to be a little less beefy. So out of curiosity, I compared my First Run ESP Pred to a new one. They're a different mold. I went through a bunch of my oldest Preds, including one I've had since I started playing, and a lot of them are actually that old mold.
So I bought a couple tsunamis online to see how they compare to my old $ Preds. Looking forward to throwing them.

So for anyone looking for a beat Pred, or a first run, check out the Tsunami. I'll take some pics of the wings when I get mine in.
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby Trey133 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:52 pm

It is common knowledge here that the first run of predator was the now DGA Tsunami. The Tsunami is a great disc!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby niuvalleycane » Mon May 16, 2011 5:46 pm

anyone using SP Tsunamis?

do they fly like a broken in Z Pred?
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:41 pm

I can't speak for the SP Tsunamis specifically, but the Pro Line Tsunamis are pretty similar to a beat in Pred. They do feel slightly different in the hand, but I think they are all but interchangeable. The Tsunami feels a little more like an Avenger.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby rooneytunes » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Just picked up an ESP Predator. I noticed it has a little bit of turn into a 15mph headwind, but reliable fade. I can't believe I waited this long to try one out. It is so much more workable for me than the firebird. I've been looking for something longer and straighter than the fb and this is it. FB's are still useful, but the pred seems like it can actually be an overstable work horse.

Is there a lot of variation in the way Preds mold up? I'd like to get a Z for something that will hold it's stability longer(the esp has some big gouges after 3 rounds). Are Z's more stable and do they have the same glide that the ESP's have?
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:04 pm

They are more stable and the domey ones have a lot of glide for an overstable disc. The flat Z preds throw way more like firebirds.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby rooneytunes » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:57 pm

Good to know. Seems like once a pred gets beat in it could be a sweet control driver with dependable fade. Looks like it shouldn't take too long either with how soft this blend of esp is.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes

Postby himynameismatt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:12 pm

I throw the ESP's and you'd be surprised how long they take to beat had one in the bag now more 1.5 years and it's still pretty beefy. These things take some serious seasoning before they become what I think of as a control driver.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby mickas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:16 pm

if you want to speed up the process grab an sparkle z tsunami or just a straight up pro line, they're the first run predator mold so they start off a little straigher and longer, they fly like a nice seasoned pred and only get better as they beat in.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 am

X Predators make great control drivers after some wear, and can be sneaky long as well. But since they're OOP, this:
mickas wrote:if you want to speed up the process grab an sparkle z tsunami or just a straight up pro line, they're the first run predator mold so they start off a little straigher and longer, they fly like a nice seasoned pred and only get better as they beat in.

is the easier solution.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment