Grip vs Mahal

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Grip vs Mahal

Postby Booter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 am

I was thinking about this too the other day. I wish i had an old bag to use the thick board that came in them. I might go to a hobby store and see what i can find
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby juju » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 am

I never used the frame in my carolina or dual pack so the sagging has never really been an issue for me. If you do make the mod, be sure to post some pics or give a review on how it worked out. TIA.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby Bigfoot Yancey » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:01 am

What would be best solution to add the bottom of main compartment? Cardboard? Wood?, or what would be best?

perhaps this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67754935@N00/5634986854/
Bigfoot Yancey
Noob

Favorite Disc: cobra

Postby Booter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:30 am

Im gonna try to fit my cage from my sq monkey in the mahal or think of a frame i can make for the bag out.of pvc. Shouldnt be hard at all
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby Tim Red Beard » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 am

Booter wrote:Im gonna try to fit my cage from my sq monkey in the mahal or think of a frame i can make for the bag out.of pvc. Shouldnt be hard at all

I'm actually making a frame this weekend out of PVC pipe for the inside of my Mahal, I put the specs up after I finish it. I want something so the discs sit up off the bottom of the bag.

TRB
Visit my Sponsor Mr. Disc Golf--------> Mr. Disc Golf
Team Panthorn, Vibram Tester, NEFA# 1149 / PDGA# 40038
Tim Red Beard
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Champ Teebird 172g

Postby disc junkie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Just got in my Mahal! Best bag to date, hands down.

When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:19 pm

260 bones and it needs to be rigged up with a custom frame? Wtf?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby ferretdance03 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:260 bones and it needs to be rigged up with a custom frame? Wtf?

The Mahal doesn't need a frame, TRB wants a frame in his. Big difference.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Booter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Got some zipper pulls made by a guy on dgcr who happends to be in the area. Very cool dude and good quality stuff for donations since he had.left over.cord

always looking for:
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Sweet Booter! Get me some of those bad boys!
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby bill » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:53 am

that's a really nice looking bag and the zipper pulls are a great addition. i want one.

the linoleum aint bad either.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:53 am

Giants colors....there ya go boot
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu May 05, 2011 6:20 am

My new Mahal bag has been put in storage in favor of the old Revo bag.

A couple things I liked about the Mahal:

Basically it seems like a well made and designed bag.

It is easy to see all your discs. In the Revo bag's main compartment you cannot see the discs on the edges as the top of the bag blocks the view. Since many of my discs are bright colors in the red/orange/pink shades (and even the same color of the same run of certain favorites) it makes it hard to find the disc you are looking for. Many times I feel that short moment of panic where I think I have lost a particular disc but it just is hiding in the bag, evading my search. With the Mahal all the discs in the main compartment are easily visible. For the first time in my golf career I started arranging discs in particular order in the bag, making them even easier to locate.

The space on the outside of the main compartment (which has a weird velcro closure, evidently designed to hold an umbrella) is perfect for holding a scorecard/clipboard or a mitten.

The retractable side pockets are a brilliant design. Unfortunately I carry so much stuff and so many discs they are always extended.

My problems with the Mahal:

It is TOO LARGE and TOO HEAVY. For years I have used a camp stool to keep by bag out of the dirt and save my back. The Mahal is so wide and tall that it is hard to balance on a stool (especially on side hills) and gets blown off the stool in strong winds.

The bag itself is heavier than a Revo Carolina and in total holds more stuff (which, of course, I fill to the brim) The weight is not that important when you are carrying the Mahal with both shoulder straps and the chest strap and the waist strap all engaged. But we pick and put down our bags a few times every hole, all day long. I almost never used the waist or chest straps. The bag is hard for me to get over both shoulders so I ended up carrying it on one shoulder most of the time. Now the added weight did matter and it felt like a ton by the end of the day.

I had only used the Mahal for a few days and had a tournament coming up that weekend. I decided to go back to the Revo for the tournament and was delighted how much lighter and easier the Revo/Phenix straps were. Even in strong winds the Revo did not get blown off the stool and two rounds in the tournament seemed to be easier on my shoulders than one practice round with the Mahal.

As the shoulder straps of the Mahal break in I think they will become more flexible and easier to get in and out of but I don't think they will ever get as easy as the Revo. I know that straps can be fiddled with to loosen and tighten them but that is too much effort every time I want to pick up or put down a bag. I think the Mystery Ranch company makes mostly backpacks, which by their nature, do not get picked and put down as often as a golf bag.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Sean40474 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:05 am

Thank you for the review Mark. I'm now hesitant to get this bag because of the things you stated. I just wish I knew someone with one so that I could try it and see. ~300 bones seems like a gamble to just "try" something.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Booter » Thu May 05, 2011 10:34 am

i love mine...th at bis all. No problems with theweight,toppling over,or anything else. I use the waist straps,that are meant to help the weight distribution,and havent felt better. Mihgt not be for everyone but its for me
always looking for:
Booter
Das Boot!

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment