The House of Pain

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The House of Pain

Postby steezo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:37 pm

I mistake words all the time but I really don't care about my mispells either. :mrgreen: I threw a GL Pain and it flew exactly how I like a moderate to overstable midrange to fly. It was a 176 GL I think. I liked it so much that I changed my midrange bag to ESP Comets and Pains. Nothing else needed for me. New ESP Comet, used ESP Comet, Beat (straighish fade) Pain and New Pain. 8)
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby jubuttib » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:17 am

Booter wrote:you dnt make typos but you make double posts. nice

besides. i dont correct them because i dont care really.
So it seems. I can blame that one on the browser though, typos I couldn't. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby dgdave » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 am

So the question wasn't answered...how do the heavy optos compare to the champ glow Rocs? Or the 06 champs?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby BLURR » Fri May 06, 2011 8:02 am

I have only thrown the 4x kenny glow roc's, so here is my comparison. The 177g Opto Pain I Had flew very straight and then just dumped in the last 20% of it's flight. Where as the 4x glow roc seemed to want to slowly hyzer out for me. I would say the late fade of the pain is a little more abrupt than the 4x. The opto pain reminded me of what the flight of a champ firebird is for me. The firebird is a dump hyzer(Not a gliding hyzer like a pred).
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jeronimo » Fri May 06, 2011 8:29 am

BLURR wrote:The firebird is a dump hyzer(Not a gliding hyzer like a pred).

Love it.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby victorb » Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 am

BLURR wrote:I have only thrown the 4x kenny glow roc's, so here is my comparison. The 177g Opto Pain I Had flew very straight and then just dumped in the last 20% of it's flight. Where as the 4x glow roc seemed to want to slowly hyzer out for me. I would say the late fade of the pain is a little more abrupt than the 4x. The opto pain reminded me of what the flight of a champ firebird is for me. The firebird is a dump hyzer(Not a gliding hyzer like a pred).

I think in a couple more runs - fingers crossed - we will know more about how the gold and opto should fly. I really prefer the opto, primarily because the characteristics you're describing appear in the goldline I have...the opto flight is just smoother, and I can actually turn it at high speeds if I wanted to. The gold I have really falls off in it's flight earlier than the opto, which actually is OK with me just because I like that better for short forehand shots.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Shank » Sun May 08, 2011 7:15 pm

I whacked my GL pain on the concrete tee quite and scraped up the bead quite a bit today to see if it would lose some of its LSS and it worked pretty well. It straightened out quite a bit and man it just goes. Where it used to seem like a fresh KC Pro Roc, it now reminds me of a faster fresh DX Roc. Dare I say it flew like a new 05 SB Roc? Gave me some hope that these will straighten out with time. It does seem that the Optos are less stable out of the box, but in my experience Opto breaks in really slowly, whereas GL breaks in relatively quickly. I'm hoping I'll have a straight to understable Pain some time in the coming year.
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Postby Coldpunk » Mon May 09, 2011 1:29 am

Anyone want an '08 champ rancho roc double stamp? The pain has kicked it out of my bag for good. The only other disc that has come this close to kicking the roc out have been the e blaze and e warrior, but finding another similar opto pain seems a lot easier than hunting down similar gateway discs.

I've got a 177 red opto that is exactly what I need to compliment my quiver of comets. Very hss, unless rolled over on purpose or thrown into a 20+ headwind, and very low speed overstable.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby steezo » Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 am

^^^^^^ Good Call. I'ved been rocking the 2 ESP Comets and 2 Pains for all my midrange needs.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby disc junkie » Mon May 09, 2011 11:11 am

steezo wrote:^^^^^^ Good Call. I'ved been rocking the 2 ESP Comets and 2 Pains for all my midrange needs.

thought you werent throwing the pain
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Apothecary » Mon May 09, 2011 11:42 am

why 2 pains? gl or opto, light or heavy...a pain is a pain. carrying two seems redundant.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby victorb » Mon May 09, 2011 11:45 am

Apothecary wrote:why 2 pains? gl or opto, light or heavy...a pain is a pain. carrying two seems redundant.

I thought the same until I bought my two - the opto flies as I'd expect it to (as has been discussed in this thread), and the very domey goldline is more comparable to a drone than the opto version of the same disc.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Apothecary » Mon May 09, 2011 11:47 am

there ya go. i havent even seen a domey gl pain. ive seen a couple of pop-top optos...but all the gl ive seen have been flat as a pancake.

/me goes out and buys up all the flat stock...like i shouldve with the cores.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Jeronimo » Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 pm

I love to feel the Pain.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

victorb wrote:
Apothecary wrote:why 2 pains? gl or opto, light or heavy...a pain is a pain. carrying two seems redundant.
I thought the same until I bought my two - the opto flies as I'd expect it to (as has been discussed in this thread), and the very domey goldline is more comparable to a drone than the opto version of the same disc.
Yeap, the only Opto Pain I've thrown had a pretty long straight flight with a nice fade at the end, where as the domey GLs I've been throwing were total meathooks.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment