Nuke OS & SS

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Nuke OS & SS

Postby rwmurrow » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:04 pm

Maybe we use it incorrectly here, but we say stable is straight, "more stable" is a relative term depending on the examples. "a new rr is more stable than a beat one, a flat firebird is more stable than a flat t-bird." ect.

Kind of like saying a disc has more dome, it could mean a slight dome or a huge dome depending on what discs are being compared.
Destroyer,PD2, Firebird, Teebird, Gator, Roc, Challenger
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:38 pm

So I finally gave a nuke SS some throws this weekend and I'm not really seeing the point of this disc. It is flippier and doesn't have very good glide. I would rather just throw an X nuke for the spot the nuke SS is supposed to fill.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Yeah, they suck for about anything other than low power, low ceiling drives. They won't glide on an anhyzer and are squirrely when thrown with the extreme hyzer you have to put on them to throw them with any power. Perhaps it would be a killer tailwind distance roller with that profile.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby BLURR » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:04 am

So, this past weekend, I got a round in with a couple of guys that were throwing the Nuke OS for thumbers. Now, I have played quite a few rounds with these guys in the past when they were thumbing Firebirds out around 300-320. The first one I saw thrown with the OS convinced me enough to get one in the bag as they put it within putting range on hole 7 at Big Creek(Was probably about 350 ft., give or take about 10 ft. And this was a "controlled" thumber).
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Several people have written that the Nuke OS flies farther than FBs, XXX's and RESPECTis on thumbers, but on every single throw I've seen by anyone that just flip faster than those discs. Perhaps it's just that much faster that it flies long on a powerful chuck even without the extra carry provided by the slow turn?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:10 pm

jubuttib wrote:Several people have written that the Nuke OS flies farther than FBs, XXX's and RESPECTis on thumbers, but on every single throw I've seen by anyone that just flip faster than those discs. Perhaps it's just that much faster that it flies long on a powerful chuck even without the extra carry provided by the slow turn?

Perhaps it's being thrown on a lower trajectory?
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby turso » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:31 pm

The nukeOS indeed is a long thumber disc despite it does its rotation pretty fast. I throw it more easily to my max thumber distance than I do XXXs or Respectis.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:36 pm

discspeed wrote:
jubuttib wrote:Several people have written that the Nuke OS flies farther than FBs, XXX's and RESPECTis on thumbers, but on every single throw I've seen by anyone that just flip faster than those discs. Perhaps it's just that much faster that it flies long on a powerful chuck even without the extra carry provided by the slow turn?
Perhaps it's being thrown on a lower trajectory?
I'd need to see it for myself, I've only read about it. For me with my puny weakling thumbers, discs that flip fast work better on higher lines (they have no carry and a higher trajectory gives them more time in the air) and discs that flip slower work better on lower lines (they stall quickly on high lines but can fly on lower lines nicely because of the added carry).
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:03 pm

A couple of big thumber guys around here throw the NukeOS as their thumber disc and they can bomb it. Maybe you need a certain level of power with the thumber before you notice the difference.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby MR. WICK » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 pm

They rotate too fast for them to be useful for me on overhands. I prefer a disc with a smaller rim as well.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby BLURR » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:16 pm

These guys were throwing them on the same trajectory that they would throw their firebirds on. And these weren't flipping fast either. It had a fairly close resemblance to what a flat top 11x would look like for a thumber flight.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby turso » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 pm

All the firebirds I've ever seen haven't been that slow to do the flip. Only two discs I've seen that are actually slow in my opinion are XXX and the slowest, premium respecti.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Haven't seen a Firebird that flips slowly either, but then again I haven't seen a flat 11x FB that is most often recommended for thumbers.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby cjc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:54 am

..I like the Nuke OS as a thumber disc up to about 350Ft controlled shots. I only use it for thumbers or extreme hyzer line shots.

..I can get more d out of an xXx, but the OS has an uncanny ability to bounce and stick near the basket. It hits and just flips.
cjc
Noob

Favorite Disc: champ max

Postby TLapham » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:53 pm

What do you guys think of the NukeOS, Z Nuke and X Nuke as the Max D setup? Is the OS enough to replace the Predator? I've been struggling to find the good flat Preds lately.

I think it'd work pretty damn well myself.

Just for reference, I mainly throw Teebirds off the tee from 325 to 400ft.
-Trade List
-My Bag (Always looking for backups):

Pred | Force | DD2 | Teebird | Buzzz | Wizard
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment